SEAT Automobiles Forum banner

New 1.9 Tdi - Something to be aware of.....

9K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  conkerman 
#1 ·
Had the Altea 1.9 Tdi Ref Sport for nearly 3 weeks now.

My other half pointed out that the engine was juddering / hesitating under acceleration sometimes.
Test drove it myself and found intermittent hesitation in 5th gear accelerating (or not!) around 55mph.

Spoke to the dealer (Service Manager) who was NOT surprised to hear my complaint!

After asking my Reg. No. to check the chasis no. he told me that SEAT had made them aware that this "hesitation" may occur to a certain batch of chasis no.'s, and mine was one of them.

He went on to say that this fault is easily cured with a re-map, but they have been told by SEAT not to offer this to buyers of these batch no.'s, until the customer reports this fault! - Not a good policy by SEAT IMHO.

This means that some less aware / less critical drivers may not notice this hesitation, won't report it, and therefore won't cost SEAT the charge for the warranty work.

I just thought I'd make folks aware of this potential fault, ask them to look for it, report the fault if it occurs, and get their engine re mapped as it should have been in the first place.

Happy motoring,

Pentlander.

See less See more
#2 ·
When was your altea registered? Mine is a Dec 54 and i have noticed this also. It seems to judder and miss / hessitate now and again but not always at the same speeds as you are experiencing it. I was putting it down to a charachteristic of the car but it looks like it maybe worth getting it checked out now. Also I have noticed that mine has become a bit smokey when accelarating away and changing gear.

By the way does anyone know what chassis numbers are affected, does anyone have the means to find out?

#3 ·
Our Altea was brand new and registered 3 weeks ago.

It may be happening at other speeds and in other gears, but 55-60 in 5th is where my mrs said she had noticed it, and I confirmed it.

Definitely worth getting it checked out. - It's not a major fault, but when you know it's there it becomes annoying, and it would seem there is a quick fix for it.

#5 ·
There's a well known problem with '06 Skoda Fabia VRS having a little stutter around 2k rpm. Seems to have the fault because its EuroVI emission compliant. Older ones don't have the problem. It seems to be affecting cars with engine code BLT on the 1.9 PD130, something about the ECU code as well but can't remember. Not seen stories of a stutter on the PD105s

Try searching on here and the 'other' seat site and maybe VW sites too. I think there's past form regarding the EGR valve for this stutter problem as well.

#7 ·
I noticed the same thing with my 54 plate 2.0 TDI Sport.

When I take my foot off the accelerator and put it back on again there is a delay before it accelerates. The delay causes me to put my foot down more and then it creates a jolt when the power comes back.

Has anyone else had this with the 2.0 TDI 140bhp?

#8 ·
chrisgs19 said:
I noticed the same thing with my 54 plate 2.0 TDI Sport.

When I take my foot off the accelerator and put it back on again there is a delay before it accelerates. The delay causes me to put my foot down more and then it creates a jolt when the power comes back.

Has anyone else had this with the 2.0 TDI 140bhp?
Hi Chris

I was just reading through this post and wondering whether the fault affected the 2.0 TDi 140bhp. I also have a 54 plate 2.0 TDi and have felt the same slight hesitation you mention. I am awaiting a call from the dealer when they have the parts in for the two outstanding recalls (flywheel and fuel pump bolts). I will mention it when it is going in and see their reaction.

Derek

#10 ·
At slower speed in high gears it could be turbo lag (around 1500 rpm) but mine hesitates at 60mph in 4th gear at high revs so I think it must be the ECU map.

I have also had the flywheel and fuel pump recall but the garage did not write anything in my service book, I guess they don't want too many people to know unless it directly concerns them.
You night want to get them to add the kit to stop the wind noise from the mirrors, its fitted to all of the newer models and costs them about £1 (the thread is here wind noise)

Please let us know whet they say, I'm not due for a service for a while so i'm making a list.

#11 ·
Well I did read on another post about clutch slip which occurred at the speed of about 45mph in 5th....so its probably me trying to be too economical! I'll continue to enjoy dropping a gear and giving it some welly!

#12 ·
My wife had an Altea Ref Sport TDi last week, driving it today it had the same judder and hesitation in 5th as you discribed here. I drive a golf GTTDi so I thought it wasn't normal but glad to find a possible solution. I'll give the dealers a call on Monday about it.

Neil

#17 ·
dai_king@work said:
There's a well known problem with '06 Skoda Fabia VRS having a little stutter around 2k rpm. Seems to have the fault because its EuroVI emission compliant. Older ones don't have the problem. It seems to be affecting cars with engine code BLT on the 1.9 PD130, something about the ECU code as well but can't remember. Not seen stories of a stutter on the PD105s

Try searching on here and the 'other' seat site and maybe VW sites too. I think there's past form regarding the EGR valve for this stutter problem as well.
My Ibiza FR has always had this stutter and I'd just attributed it to being a characteristic of the engine, but after reading this thread i thought i'd check my engine code - it begins BLT.

Car was at stealers today and they haven't heard of this problem but promised to have a look for me. They found that the induction pipe (?) was loose and think this may have sorted it - I haven't driven it yet so don'r know - gf took the car in for me so will have to wait to see.

#18 ·
As this is still under the tread, Something to be aware of..., I thought I'd let you know of the other issues I have had with the Altea.

Loss of coolant due to a cracked radiator weld
Windscreen delamination (white around the bottom edge of the windscreen)
Wind noise from side mirrors
Throttle response (as described above)
Air-con radiator fans failed (common problem with all the VAG group)

Safety recall for:
Fuel pump (Recall number R/2004/212)
Fly wheel (Recall number R/2006/033)

This has all been fixed (except the throttle response) under warranty and I have had no problems with SEAT but it is just something to look out for if you have one of the first run of Alteas (mine's a 2004 model). Most, if not all of these are known issues and are not on the newer models.

All safety recalls for any vehicle are listed on the VOSA website

Although SEAT have reset my ECU it has not fixed the problem with the throttle response, I have dug around some other sites and found this information about the 2004 Passat with the 2.0 TDI. It looks like they had the same issues but VW issued an ECU upgrade.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=78139
and
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=147201

The most important information is the VW Service Bulletin. Although the engine code is different is seems too similar to me.

#19 ·
Also worth noting that when my 2.0 Tdi went in for its flywheel replacement, they noticed that the clutch was almost dead (possibly as a result of the flywheel) so they replaced that at the same time (another positive for Camberley Seat Service Centre, unlike some other dealers around here!). Hopefully any good servicer would notice, but it's worth pointing this out.

#21 ·
Heya guys,

I'm not sure if this is what I'm experiencing? I have a Code BJB 1.9 TDI.

It seems that when I change up say from 3rd to 4th and have to ease off for whatever reason and power back on, I get a shuddering sensation - it is VERY audible? What does the clutch slip sound like, could it be this?

It lasts a few seconds before the car picks back up again and then it's fine - only around 3rd, 4th and 5th gear?

Hmmm?

#22 ·
RaKeR said:
Heya guys,

I'm not sure if this is what I'm experiencing? I have a Code BJB 1.9 TDI.

It seems that when I change up say from 3rd to 4th and have to ease off for whatever reason and power back on, I get a shuddering sensation - it is VERY audible? What does the clutch slip sound like, could it be this?

It lasts a few seconds before the car picks back up again and then it's fine - only around 3rd, 4th and 5th gear?

Hmmm?
Yep i get this sort of hessitation / shuddering, I'm wondering if its just a charachteristic of the pd engine? It seems to happen when you let the revs drop a bit. My leon (not pd) never did this and seemed you could get away with picking back up from low revs with no problems. But you can'nt seem to get away with as much with the PD it seems to be more like a petrol engine when picking up from low revs at lower speeds in higher gears.

#23 ·
Kind of glad [in a good way!] that people are experiencing this!

I have to say - I had chopped a PD 115 Bora Sport in for this Altea - and there is a part of me that kind of wished I hadn't. The Veedub engine was soooo much better than the one in the Altea? I never experienced this before in any of the Dub diesels I have owned.

Gahhh!!!

So it's factory re-map then is it?

#24 ·
My 06 Tolly 1.9 TDi has this sort of issue.

When coming off a trailing throttle at about 60mph and going to about 1/2 throttle I can feel the engine not pulling cleanly sends a vibration through the whole car. Not violent but enough to get my gut bouncing :)

WIll harrass the dealer and get a remap, or could just get a performance remap :)

Gaz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.