What is a coil pack ?

For any information relating to the Leon Cupra R

What is a coil pack ?

Postby Claud9 on Thu May 27, 2004 1:23 pm

It seems that one major problem with our cars is the coil packs and because I am very mechanical minded I have no idea what they are.

So can someone please explain to me what a coil pack is and were it is situated in my Ibiza Cupra R so that when mine goes I have a bit of a clue.

As you can probably guess i'm no good at mechanic work so please explain as if I was a five year old. If you could draw a picture that would be even better. :D

Many thanks in advance for your wisdom.
Claud9

Advertisement

Postby OXO2 PUB on Thu May 27, 2004 2:14 pm

I'll do me best untill someone else can explain fully but they basicly control the ignition in the cylinder, they sit on top of the engine iirc 4 little black boxes with the wires coming out of them
OXO2 PUB

Postby Cullen Cupra on Thu May 27, 2004 3:35 pm

same as a distributor but instead of one distributer and 4 ht leads there is no distributer and 4 coil packs. there the 4 blocks onto of each cylinder.
No longer a seat owner now a scooby owner
Cullen Cupra

Postby Slicker on Thu May 27, 2004 3:52 pm

Is there no spark plugs then??
Paul Crate
Go to my Garage...

MY03 LC - Jabba Inside :D | Extreme Blue | Club SE Plates and Tax Disc | Cruise Control | W8 Light | Nomad A Pillar | Phillips Blue Vision | Road Angel | TomTom | TT pedals | Footwell Lighs | Touran Wiper | DV007 | Arm Rest | Carbonio | Toureg Torch | Eagle F1's | Bonnet Seal | Kick Plates | C U P R A Badge | Supersprint Catback | Sunglass Holder | Civic Ariel | Alpine 9855 | CD Holder | PG Amp | JL Sub | PSI Short Shift | Cupra R Splitter | Alpine KCA-420i and iPod Nano | Remote Windows
Slicker

Postby Gingecupra on Thu May 27, 2004 4:03 pm

They sit ontop of the spark plugs and are about 6-8 inches in length, this is because of how deep the spark plugs are in the engine.

As said above there is one ontop of each cylinder which has a spark plug ontop of that also, that's confusing is'nt it, eeerrrmmm you cannot see the cylinder or the spark plug. The coil pack is sat on the spark plug(black in colour) that is just above the cylinder in the cylinder head.

To get one off you will need to remove the electronics that obscure them, unplug the wireing, (simple clip) and then they just pop up, they are a little stiff but litterally just pop off. That's it.

Lee.
Gingecupra

Postby Dwayne-Dibley on Thu May 27, 2004 4:04 pm

Yeah the coil pack produces the high voltage required to make the spark at the plug. It sit directly on top of the spark plug at the top of the cylinder head.
Dwayne-Dibley

Postby CupraT on Thu May 27, 2004 5:29 pm

Blow one the other day.....runs on 3 and sounds like a poorly Scooby but with the performance of a Fiat Panda :)

Had it changed under warranty......these now carry a 5 year warranty due to the high failure rate.

Bought one as a spare though.....just incase ;)
CupraT

Postby andy_not_happy on Fri May 28, 2004 12:00 am

A coil unit is a transformer with built in electronics that converts the 12V battery voltage into a high voltage 20,000V or more which will produce a spark at the spark plugs.

Older models have a single ignition coil that produces the high voltage for the spark, this is fed to the distributor which connects to each spark plug in turn as the contacts rotate. The problem with a distributor is that the contacts wear out and the spark timing is controlled mechanically.

On my Toledo 1.6, 1999 there is no distibutor, a coil unit which has 4 leads connected to the spark plugs is used. The spark timing is controlled electronically (so more acurate) and the are no contacts to wear out. I think either 2 (or all 4) spark plugs fire at the same time, there is a wasted spark in the cylinders that are not in the correct position (full of fuel vapour).

The latest models (especially 5 cylinder engines) have a separate coil unit mounted on each spark plug. The spark timing is controlled electronically and each coil unit produces the high voltage separately for each spark plug. These are the ones that commonly fail, having the same effect as unplugging a spark plug lead on an older car - one of the cylinders does not work, giving a very rough running engine.
andy_not_happy

Postby Claud9 on Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:44 am

Many thanks to all the guys that reply to my thread.

I think that I kind of know where it is. Thanks for the knowledge.

:D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :)
Claud9

Postby Polished Bliss on Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:41 pm

Interesting stuff guys - I asked my dealer to change my spark plugs at my 40k service, but he laughed and said that I didn't have because I've got coil packs. Does this mean he lied!? Do I still need to change the spark plugs under the coil packs then?
Rich & Angela - Our Modified Leon - JEFFS Werkstatt Now In Stock!

Polished Bliss

Postby andy_not_happy on Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:01 am

WX51 TXR wrote:Interesting stuff guys - I asked my dealer to change my spark plugs at my 40k service, but he laughed and said that I didn't have because I've got coil packs. Does this mean he lied!? Do I still need to change the spark plugs under the coil packs then?

I don't have the separate coil packs so not entirely sure, but :
There must be some sort of spark gap for the engine to work (unless it is diesel). Unless the spark gap is an integral part of the coil pack then it will be a normal spark plug under the coil pack that needs replacing. From the other messages and experience with dealers then I would safely say the dealer is talking **** , you do have spark plugs and it would be best to change them at 40k.
andy_not_happy

Postby colb2 on Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:00 pm

WX51 TXR wrote:Interesting stuff guys - I asked my dealer to change my spark plugs at my 40k service, but he laughed and said that I didn't have because I've got coil packs. Does this mean he lied!? Do I still need to change the spark plugs under the coil packs then?

if thats what hes told you i'll change the dealer as they have got spark plugs .lol dealers dont we just love them lol
colb2

Return to Cupra R