Bl00dy chavs. How to remove the wing mirror

Bl00dy chavs. How to remove the wing mirror

Postby BUGIE on Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:42 am

Went back to the car to find my passenger side mirror pushed all the way forward:shocked7fl: :angry6wn: . The worst bit was there wasn't any damage on the mirror casing so some S.O.B. must have broke it on purpose while walking past. :no6xn: :growl5cj:

Can anyone tell me how to remove / dismantle the mirror so i can take a look at it and see if i can do a bit of DIY on it. Also does the back cover just pull off from the mirror?

Thanks,

Chris
BUGIE

Advertisement

Postby beezasport on Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:28 am

i thinkg the back cover just clips on chris as you can buy the coloured ones for the fr etc..
Seat Leon MY03 Cupra 1.8 20vt
no mods as yet just a road angel
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
beezasport

Postby BUGIE on Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:12 pm

ok thanks. i'll take a look at it a little later then to see if i can repair the mirror
BUGIE

Postby Chris_TDi on Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:18 pm

Indeed Chris, the cover just pulls off... takes a bit of fiddling the first time round but thats how it comes off.

You can maybe see how to remove the mirror from that... on the inside bit there is a speaker so I don't know if thats meant to come off :S
'03 Ovni Mk4 Ibiza Sport TDI 130

Read about my car by clicking here.
Chris_TDi

Postby BUGIE on Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:30 pm

So i pulled the back cover off only to find that while the mirror is in place it is essentially only held in place by the electric motor wire which is now under alot of tension seeing as the spring loaded metal pole which the wire passes through has been pushed up so that it is now pressing against the top of the mirror case and is now leaning slightly to one side.
I tried pushing the pole down to no avail (i think the spring is stopping it).

I also noticed that the pole appears to have a joint half way down where i presume it should slip onto a slightly wider pole coming up from the bottom of the base of the mirror. Is this correct?
If so does anyone have diagrams / Photos of how a mirror should look and more importantly instructions on how to dismantle the mirror (remove the mirror glass, electric motor, etc).

Also if you purchase a new mirror does it come with the base or just the mirror case?

Thanks,

Chris
BUGIE

Postby davart on Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:37 pm

Someone did that to mine a couple of months ago, but the mirror snapped back into place. Has the mount broken? The mirrors are springloaded and designed to give when hit. Are you sure it doesn't just need pulling back towards the rear of the car?

Would help if you had a photo.
<b><u>'05 <font color="#FF0000">Emocion Red </font>1.2 12v 3dr Reference</u></b>
davart

Postby BUGIE on Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:05 pm

i tried pulling it back in place but as said before the mirror is just held in place by the electric motor wire.

The spring loaded bar passing through the mirror has moved up so its no longer connected to the bar passing up from the base of the mirror.

i had taken a couple of pictures but you can't see much from them anyway. As shown in the drawing you can see how the spring loaded bar moved up.
BUGIE

Me too

Postby jupiter4me on Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:21 pm

This happened to me last night, someone must have kicked my passenger mirror and bend it forward. The mount and mirror is fine, but the black plastic cover was snapped. Does anyone know where I could get a black plastic wing mirror cover? I'm not too keen on the crome ones. (2002 1.2 ibiza s)
jupiter4me

Postby jupiter4me on Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:42 pm

Just called seat parts. £9.98+vat for a black wing mirror cover, cant complain. Who ever kicks wing mirrors should be shot.
jupiter4me

mirror

Postby BUGIE on Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:57 pm

glad it's only going to cost you 10 quid. if possible when you change the cover can you take a picture of the inside of the mirror (where the mirror joins the base) so i can see how mine should look?

Thanks,

Chris
BUGIE

Postby BUGIE on Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:47 pm

Finally got round to taking pics guys. Here you go.

As you can see in Pic "Photo001" the spring loaded metal bar has moved up and is now preventing the casing from closing completely.

In "Photo003" and "Photo004" you can see how the bar has moved up and is now creating alot of tension on the electric motor wire.

"Photo008" shows the mirror from the bottom where it meets the base. it shows how the metal bar doesn't connect to the bar rising up from the base

Can anyone tell me if it can be fixed or not?

Thanks,

Chris
BUGIE

Return to Ibiza Mk4