SEAT Automobiles Forum banner

Exhaust emissions warning lamp on

9K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  GrahamNorton 
#1 ·
I wasn;t sure where to post this as not many people go into the Arosa forum and the light is probs the same on all Seat's so hope someone can help.

While out driving yesterday the light on the dash which corresponds to the exhaust emissions warning lamp came on and has stayed on. In the handbook it states:

''Any faults in the engine management system which occur while driving will be indicated by a flashing warning lamp''

However, the light was no flashing and stayed on all the time. I'll be ringing Seat 2moz to find out what's wrong and hope it's nothing serious, but anyone ideas in the meantime as to what might be wrong to cause it to come on, and also why it is staying on and not flashing as the handbook states?

#3 ·
I don't have this light myself, but I can make a few suggestions :)

When it goes in, first thing is VAG-com it, that will tell you if its just a faulty sensor causing it. Hopefully that will be it (nice and cheap ;) ), or possibly a misfireing piston or engine hiccup causing odd fumes.

As to the light not flashing - the manual doesn't always correspond exactly, sometimes stuff gets changed right at the last minute and if its close enough the manual gets left as it is (or they print an little ammendment and add it to the pack you get with the car - I have one with mine) as its very expensive to print a whole new run.

#4 ·
Get to the dealer if its still under warrenty. Will save so much trouble. My girlfriend had the same problem on her Corsa and it was just a faulty sensor. Cost £70 to do a diagnostic (£35) and to replace the sensor (£35 inc labour). Only cost so much as its a P reg and she went to the dealer as the AA didn't have the correct software. Bloody rip off all cuz of the software.

#5 ·
I planned to post a similar query ref my daughters 02 car. Warning light came on after a desperate visit to a very rural garage to get petrol. I thought that it might have been the fuel but later full tank top ups haven't caused the light to cancel. Maybe it just latches and just needs a reset?
SEAT dealer wants the car for 2 hours to look at it and my budget is a little fragile at the moment so Monday I will try a local auto electronics place offering diagnostics "from £19.99".

Does anyone have a idea how much replacement sensors could be and how long it takes?

I'll post an update after the diagnostic visit.

Thanks
Mike

#6 ·
Have you tried resetting the ecu ?? then if the light still comes on i would worry if not, problem solved. i do not know how to reset the ecu with arosa's (Although i have one) but with most cars it is just to disconnnect the battery for 8 hours or so. i am sure someone on here will know how.

#7 ·
I Am In The Process Of Repairing My Arosa Its A 1.7 Sdi I Had The Ignition On For About Ten Minutes While I Was Playing With The Window And When I Went To Switch The Ignition Off I Noticed That The Glowplug Light Was Flashing On And Off And Even After Starting It About 30 Seconds After Starting It Keeps Flashing It Has Never Done This Before Anyone Know Why?

#8 ·
mike57 said:
....Warning light came on after a desperate visit to a very rural garage to get petrol. ....Maybe it just latches and just needs a reset?
SEAT dealer wants the car for 2 hours to look at it and my budget is a little fragile at the moment so Monday I will try a local auto electronics place offering diagnostics "from £19.99".

I'll post an update after the diagnostic visit.

Thanks
Mike
Update is that the problem indicated was a misfire on #1 cylinder - it had occurred several times. The technician reset the ecu and the light stayed on!!! He suggested new plugs might be needed. It seems the ecu 'adds up' minor fault codes before signalling.
He also settled for £10 cash instead of £19.99.
When I restarted the engine the light was off so I'm happy.

But now I have a brake problem - see new post

Mike

#9 ·
I Nearly posted about this too. I was on my way back from uni about a month ago and a warning light came on. It was yellow, looked like a little engine and didnt flash. I have a mate who works part time as an Audi technician who does work on the cheap (ish!) for me. He plugged some fancy machine that looked like a stone age game boy into the socket that looks a bit like a scart socket under the ash tray in the car for a diagnostic. Came up as lambda probe i think. This is a sensor/probe that monitors oxigen levels in the exhaust. I have schedualed a replacement fitting with circumstances delaying it until later this week. Since the diagnosis (a few weeks back) the car, when i have recently started it from cold, idles weirdly and i have to keep giving it revs because it seems like it will stall out. Once i get driving it seems to sort it self out after about a min or two. I hope replacing the lamda probe is causing this and it will ceace when i get it replaced. Hope this helps someone .....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.