Immobiliser fault? V5 Toledo

For any Toledo questions including modifications, tuning, I.C.E, problems etc

Immobiliser fault? V5 Toledo

Postby Strick on Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:17 pm

Guys, anyone able to shed any light on a little problem my wife has with her Toledo?
A couple of weeks ago we dropped down to see the lads at the local garage and when we left we turned the key and it cranked, fired, then cut out. The little yellow "key" light on the dash flashed. We tried a few times with the same problem. Eventually it fired and ran and the light went out. As we were there anyway they stuck their fault code reader on which said something along the lines of "low voltage" (dont remember exactly). They suggested i put new batteries in the keys, which i did a couple of days later. Since then we have had no problems............ until tonight! She went to leave work and again it cranked, fired, then cut out straight away. She tried it a few times and each time it done the same and the light flashed with the key in the ignition. She left it locked for 5mins tried again and still no luck. I got there an hour later (before the RAC, but thats another story involving me passing TWO of their vans parked up whilst on my way to her!!) and we tried again and it started. Stopped a couple of times on the way home and it started no problems. Tried again a little while ago and again, no problems. Im now confused as i prefer things to either work, or not work. Could it be a problem with the immobiliser? Is there any kind of common fault of this nature?
The car is a 99 Toledo V5.
Sorry for the essay, but im trying to get over as much info as i can. Any suggestions/help is warmly welcomed.
Strick

Advertisement

imobilser

Postby dava on Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:25 pm

You got a spare key? If so use that for a while and it might highlight a fault with your key.
dava

Postby Strick on Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:02 pm

Forgot that bit, does it with both keys.
Rang the warranty helpline today and its booked in to be looked at on thursday. Thanks for the suggestion tho.
Strick

Postby TIIEWL on Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:16 pm

Had exactly the same problem on my SE (1.8)

The car had been standing for a week and I'd been messing with the dials - when I came to crank it over, it fired and then died

I got the same flashing key light and thought I'd screwed the immobiliser by taking the dials out

Phoned the AA for a tow to the nearest dealership and he came out, cranked it over on his starter battery and it fired fine

Said it was "just flooded"

With a "low battery" fault too, sounds like the same problem

Maybe time for a new battery ?

It could be the alternator of course ... but batteries are cheaper to replace ;)
TIIEWL

Postby Strick on Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:22 am

Took it to the dealer yesterday and it got dropped back with the message "its all covered under the warranty and the parts are on order, we will let you know when theyre in". That was bsically the valeter/gofer that dropped it back so i will try to speak to the technician today as i know him well and see what he found. Will post the findings when i know them.
Strick

Postby Strick on Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:09 pm

Update for those interested.
It is getting a new reader coil for the key so that should sort that out hopefully.
While it was there i also got them to check out why the memory seats and mirrors didnt have a very good memory. Turns out it also needs a new "seat backrest adjustment memory module" i think he called it. Anyway, the good news is its all covered under the warranty! Going to go round with a fine toothed comb now and see if anything else has any slight defects, lol.
Strick

Postby TIIEWL on Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:15 am

:eek:

'tis a good job it's under warranty - sounds like they're doing a lot of battery related work there :confused:
TIIEWL

Postby Strick on Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:22 pm

Yeah, so long as it gets sorted ill be happy. Still think its a great car, should have got one sooner.
Strick

Postby jblackett99 on Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:47 pm

I know this is an old post but did you get your starting problem sorted? We have the same problem starting our Arosa. Hit and miss affair, has happened 5 times in the last 6 months - had 2 new fuel pumps under warrenty and the computer does not record a fault.
jblackett99

Return to Toledo