SEAT Automobiles Forum banner

Immobiliser fault? V5 Toledo

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  jblackett99 
#1 ·
Guys, anyone able to shed any light on a little problem my wife has with her Toledo?
A couple of weeks ago we dropped down to see the lads at the local garage and when we left we turned the key and it cranked, fired, then cut out. The little yellow "key" light on the dash flashed. We tried a few times with the same problem. Eventually it fired and ran and the light went out. As we were there anyway they stuck their fault code reader on which said something along the lines of "low voltage" (dont remember exactly). They suggested i put new batteries in the keys, which i did a couple of days later. Since then we have had no problems............ until tonight! She went to leave work and again it cranked, fired, then cut out straight away. She tried it a few times and each time it done the same and the light flashed with the key in the ignition. She left it locked for 5mins tried again and still no luck. I got there an hour later (before the RAC, but thats another story involving me passing TWO of their vans parked up whilst on my way to her!!) and we tried again and it started. Stopped a couple of times on the way home and it started no problems. Tried again a little while ago and again, no problems. Im now confused as i prefer things to either work, or not work. Could it be a problem with the immobiliser? Is there any kind of common fault of this nature?
The car is a 99 Toledo V5.
Sorry for the essay, but im trying to get over as much info as i can. Any suggestions/help is warmly welcomed.

See less See more
#4 ·
Had exactly the same problem on my SE (1.8)

The car had been standing for a week and I'd been messing with the dials - when I came to crank it over, it fired and then died

I got the same flashing key light and thought I'd screwed the immobiliser by taking the dials out

Phoned the AA for a tow to the nearest dealership and he came out, cranked it over on his starter battery and it fired fine

Said it was "just flooded"

With a "low battery" fault too, sounds like the same problem

Maybe time for a new battery ?

It could be the alternator of course ... but batteries are cheaper to replace ;)

#5 ·
Took it to the dealer yesterday and it got dropped back with the message "its all covered under the warranty and the parts are on order, we will let you know when theyre in". That was bsically the valeter/gofer that dropped it back so i will try to speak to the technician today as i know him well and see what he found. Will post the findings when i know them.

#6 ·
Update for those interested.
It is getting a new reader coil for the key so that should sort that out hopefully.
While it was there i also got them to check out why the memory seats and mirrors didnt have a very good memory. Turns out it also needs a new "seat backrest adjustment memory module" i think he called it. Anyway, the good news is its all covered under the warranty! Going to go round with a fine toothed comb now and see if anything else has any slight defects, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.