SEAT Automobiles Forum banner

Temperature Sensor G2 Fault

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  AndyC567 
#1 ·
Hi guys, wonder if anyone can help me

My car is having some cold start problems and I noticed the temperature gauge is erratic.

I have used vagcom and got back an error code Temperature Sensor G2 Fault.

So I need to replace my temperature sensor. Does anyone have the part no for the sensor, it would be most appeciated.... my car is a 2002 1.9 TDi if that helps...

many thanks

Phil

#2 ·
I think it is a pretty standard part, used all across the VW range..

I picked one up from from GSF car parts for a tad under 20 quid. They knew all about them and said they are a common failure. They recommended fitting the version with the green plastic top, as this is an improved version. Anyone know why ?

Still to get round to fit mine, but I did have a look for it and couldn't find it on the car..

Anyone know where it is on the 1.9 TDI 110 engine ?

Ta.

#3 ·
AndyC567;772276 said:
I think it is a pretty standard part, used all across the VW range..

I picked one up from from GSF car parts for a tad under 20 quid. They knew all about them and said they are a common failure. They recommended fitting the version with the green plastic top, as this is an improved version. Anyone know why ?

Still to get round to fit mine, but I did have a look for it and couldn't find it on the car..

Anyone know where it is on the 1.9 TDI 110 engine ?

Ta.
in the thermostat housing....think its at the front end of the engine bay about half way down...not sure on that engine though :)

#4 ·
Ok, I know where it goes, take a look at this diagram... Item 6 is the one you need to change... this will be on the right hand side as you look into the engine bay....

You might need to take the plastic cover off but you can see it from the side of the engine....

Word of warning, only atempt this when the coolant is cold as there is a risk the coolant will drain from this point when you remove it, and it might burn! ;-)

It is also a good idea to get a new rubber o-ring and clip. Before fitting the new o-ring smear it in antifreeze just helps it seat properly.

AndyC567 could you see if your sensor has a part no on it?

I have an Audi S4 and this has the similar common fault and I have changed mine. Normally the different tops mean that they have different threshold tempretures. So on my S4 when I switch off the after run pump kicks in to cool the turbos.

I dont know enough about the Toledo TDi lump to know if it does the same thing.

Also, I must just say I could be totally wrong and this not be the G2 so if anyone knows please correct me

regards

Phil

#5 ·
The greentops are just an improved version - the old black ones had a lot of problems with dying etc, the green ones are more reliable.

Are you sure you don't mean G62? Thats the code no for the coolant temp sensor?

I noticed you said you have cold start problems, do you get a lot of black smoke on starting?

Phil has got it right in the diagram, but I'm not so sure about the pic?

#6 ·
Basically the tempreture gauge is being erratic and VAGCOM threw a fault code "Temperature Sensor G2 Short to Plus"

Also as well as problems starting in the mornig, I do get a bit more smoke than usual and the car dont have the top end pull it normally does.

The trouble is sometimes its fine sometimes its not.... this part is obviously faulty so thought I would start by changing it...

But GSF/Eurocarparts/VAG Parts will need a part no...

#7 ·
There is nothing marked on my new sensor at all, just a badge thing which look like it may a makers logo or something.. I guess it is aftermarket, not genuine..

The GSF part number on my invoice is..

93494D TEMP SENSOR-4 PIN GREEN 16.50 + Vat = £19.39

I went to GSF in Coventry, and the guy knew all about them. He said the earlier cars had only a two pin version, and that I could replace the black 4 pin version on my car with the better Green 4 pin version.

I think he said that they only stock 2 or 3 types, and that they sell loads as they fit cars right across the VW range.

Without knowing anything about them, or even knowing where it was, I just took his word for it !!

Looking at the pictures and diagrams, it looks like it is facing backwards and a pig to get at !

Looking at my car, I think I have just found it (down the right hand side of the engine cover), and have just confirm it doesn't look like the easiest of jobs to change !

Anyone any experience, do I need to drain coolant ?

Ta.

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.