Sat Nav Systems

Write a review about any item or product that you have bought to help other members.

Postby MS on Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:21 pm

There are quite a few out there,TomTom are very popular we sell loads of those at work,also sell Navman which are a decent unit,i think it all depends on what you are needing it to do,wether you are going to use it abroad or not aswell.
MS

Advertisement

tomtom

Postby barrabbas on Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:49 pm

hi i use a tomtom satellite reciever and a dell axim pda.
i was given the reciever and bought the pda from ebay and downloaded tomtom programme off of internet for free{shops charge around £100 for tomtom on a flash memory card}
have just downloaded/installed tomtom5 from net with no probs.

tomtom system has some useful features like speed camera warnings(again downloaded for free} and poi (places of interest}which includes phone number and website both of which can be updated from internet or added to manually

the guidance is easy to use giving options like fastest/shortest/walking/scenic routes and postcode location.
the shortest route generally works ok but the fastest route tends to favour motorways/a-roads and will often add several miles to a journey by using this type of road which is ok at night when roads are quiet but not much use in daytime traffic it will also let you avoid areas on route add waypoints and recalculates route in seconds if you take a wrong turn.

other options include various different voices including celebrities colour options for maps and live traffic/weather info{if connected to internet)

because i went for the version that runs on a pda i can update for free and get new versions at any time and also have my own pc in car so i can play games when im bored! golf and space invaders at mo

total cost from start(tomtom go) up to now(tomtom 5} including updates/extras/new versions/maps = £100 for purchase of pda which i can continue to update for free aslong as i can use the internet. it can also be used in different cars.
barrabbas

Postby cuprasport16v on Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:06 pm

We use tom toms at work, pretty damn useful really imo
Ant

Now driving 05 Platinum Ibiza Fr TDi PD - and a house
cuprasport16v

Postby SIDE SHOW TURBO on Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:14 pm

I've just got a NAVMAN iCN520. It's excellent and you can download camera sites free from http://www.pocketgpsworld.co.uk or com.

Saves forking out on a Road Angel
SIDE SHOW TURBO

Postby John.nt on Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:32 pm

I have a Navman 610 which works very well. As Side Show said you can download the camera sites free, plus you can download all kinds of POIs (Points of interest) free from poihandler.com. It got me to Spain and back.
I am in Ashurst Wood if you want to take a look.

John.
John.nt

Postby Rooboy on Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:47 pm

SIDE SHOW TURBO wrote:you can download camera sites free from http://www.pocketgpsworld.co.uk or com.l

They are going to start charging for it £2 a time now.
Skoda Octavia 2.0l Tdi

[quote=Laurie Daley (RL Legend)]RL is a simple game played by simple people, RU is a complex game played by w*nkers[/quote]
Rooboy

Postby RobDon on Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:24 am

Anyone got the Tom Tom ONE, seems to get good reports, 5th Gear had it as their best buy.
RobDon

Postby Pabs on Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:11 pm

gonna be getting myself a tomtom ONE, as its the smallest one (lol no pun intended) that they do.

Only bad thing about it is the sound quality/volume, due to the smaller speaker involved. but not particularly worried - not like its a headunit or anything....
Waiting for prices to get a bit better tho.... sitting just above £200 at the moment.....
Pabs

Postby Cupra Ross on Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:37 pm

I did a sort of mini review on the Garmin Streetpilot i3. You can find it here: http://www.seatenthusiasts.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=47421

Has all of the normal features, Postcode search, speedcamera database, points of interest with phone numbers etc plus you get a disc mount as well as the windscreen mount. The disc mount is absolutely ideal for the flat part on the top/middle of the Leon dash, doesn't look out of place at all. The best point is that its £170 or less, better value than any other system I've seen.

Leon 20VT Sport. Black Magic Metallic. Tints.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cupra Ross

Postby RobDon on Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:59 pm

That one is WAY too small for my eyes, I'd probably crash trying to focus too much on the tiny screen. I've just ordered a Tom Tom ONE, will upgrade it with the speed camera software, hopefully now I won't get lost going to events such as Kames and Alford this year!
RobDon

Postby Pabs on Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:00 pm

let us know your opinions Rob - this ones still tempting me too :)
Pabs

Postby Cupra Ross on Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:26 pm

RobDon wrote:That one is WAY too small for my eyes, I'd probably crash trying to focus too much on the tiny screen. I've just ordered a Tom Tom ONE, will upgrade it with the speed camera software, hopefully now I won't get lost going to events such as Kames and Alford this year!

Hmmm, speedcamera database for the TomTom is £50 for a 1 year subscription, its free on the Garmin. If you have normal healthy eyes, the screen size of the streetpilot is more than big enough. I know this from the last 2 months of owning it.

I just couldn't justify paying twice as much (once the speed camera database is added) for the tomtom when the Garmin does all the same things and has a more accurate GPS system (WAAS, updates from ground stations as well as satellites). Garmin have been in the business since the outset and their products are rock solid. I have a Garmin GPSMAP 396 that I use when I'm flying, you really can't buy better.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cupra Ross

Postby Pabs on Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:44 pm

speedcam database for tomtom is, at the moment, FREE, from pocketgps world.
Might charge for it in the future, but at the moment its free :)
Pabs

Postby Cupra Ross on Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:19 pm

Ahh, Its just when I looked on the TomTom site, they charge £50 a year for it.

Don't get me wrong, the TomTom is very good and probably looks better, I just don't think its worth the extra money. Coming from an aviation background, you just can't beat Garmin for quality and reliability. Function over form and all that, a bit like the Leon :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cupra Ross

Postby RobDon on Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:11 pm

I got the Tom Tom ONE, excellent bit of kit. Don't worry about the £50 a year for camera software etc., as I got a CD from eBay that is packed with everything for £5! I now have all the safety cameras on it plus stacks more, the guy also says to email him every 3 months and he'll send you any updates - sorted!

I looked at some sat-nav systems in Halfords, sorry but the Garmin is TINY, couldn't use that at all. I got the ONE online for £249 with free next-day delivery from here:

http://www.satnav2u.com/products/details.cfm?PRODUCT=1N00.060&tduid=a54fe1ba7055f1ca978be10a875f2b10
RobDon

Next

Return to Product Reviews