Scottish meets - ideas please!

Fancy meeting up with fellow SEAT owners? This is the place to arrange it, small or large meets and anyone can run one.

Scottish meets - ideas please!

Postby RobDon on Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:49 pm

OK, new year has started. Last year most of the Scottish meetings tailed off to virtually nothing, so we need to re-think the whole thing with some fresh ideas.

My thoughts are to have a larger bi-monthly weekend meeting somewhere central for everyone, rather than local small meets where a handful of people show up. Personally I think that a large meeting with people from all over Scotland would attract much more interest, I for one have no interest in meeting up at night in a dingy pub car park, I'd rather go somewhere out of town in daylight that's alot more interesting.

So we need ideas, locations, venues, etc. and get this thing off the ground!
RobDon

Advertisement

Postby Chris_TDi on Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:54 pm

Sounds good Rob, last year a barbecue went ahead at Loch Lomond unfortunately I didn't make it but it certainly sounds like the sort of stuffs we should be doing.

Problem is though, the weather is so unreliable for these sort of things.

I'm easy right enough and will be up for anything :)
'03 Ovni Mk4 Ibiza Sport TDI 130

Read about my car by clicking here.
Chris_TDi

Postby RobDon on Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:00 am

Well I think it should be made more interesting rather than just standing in a car park, Scotland is a beautiful country and we all love cars, so why not make more of it - most other car clubs go for runs, meet in interesting places, etc. etc.

Sadly we can only guess at the weather as it does what it likes!
RobDon

Postby Craigc on Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:28 pm

I agree. I remember going for a BBQ a while back and it was a good laugh even in the rain. Perhaps something in the Perth area ? I have to admit I miss some of the meets we had in 2005
Leon Cupra R 225 + Golf Mk2 16v

Leon -
http://www.seatforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43536
Craigc

Postby RobDon on Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:30 pm

Yes, meet somewhere in the central belt so it's fair for everyone, it's a nice drive up that doesn't take too long, should be plenty of places to meet at that are quite interesting and scenic.
RobDon

Postby Madskiair on Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:32 pm

The St. Andrews one we had a few years ago was fab...but maybe not at this time of year! It was good because once we had met up, people could do their own thing. Some people had barbies, some wondered onto the beach and some into town.

But I guess something along that format would be great, but where? Mmmn.

I've been so bad for attending these things the last year or so but would love to get out and about again and meet some of the gang.
Madskiair

Postby Olivera on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:55 pm

RobDon;767907 wrote:OK, new year has started. Last year most of the Scottish meetings tailed off to virtually nothing, so we need to re-think the whole thing with some fresh ideas.

My thoughts are to have a larger bi-monthly weekend meeting somewhere central for everyone, rather than local small meets where a handful of people show up. Personally I think that a large meeting with people from all over Scotland would attract much more interest, I for one have no interest in meeting up at night in a dingy pub car park, I'd rather go somewhere out of town in daylight that's alot more interesting.

So we need ideas, locations, venues, etc. and get this thing off the ground!

Its inevitable meets will die off as it gets darker/wetter in winter. For this reason I'd also prefer the odd weekend joint glasgow/edinburgh meet.

As I've said in another post why don't we just join up with the scottishvag.com meets?
Olivera

Postby RobDon on Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:34 pm

I'm up for anything to get things moving, joining up with other forums such as SVAG, ***, Briskoda, etc.. isn't a bad idea.
RobDon

Postby DodgyDave on Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:42 pm

At the moment for me week-nights is the best as i work every weekend, but saying that i should be changing jobs soon so will have some weekend time to myself.

The idea of actually doing something sounds far better to me than just meeting up in a pub (or carpark), ncie drive somewhere then food (bbq or pub-style) and a chat & nice drive back. Scotland has sooooooo many wonderfull roads to drive on & places to see :)

Problem is that it takes someone to say "right this is what/when/where - now come along", but it can take sooo long for this to happen, and be soooo near the time i cant plan for it so dont come along.

Rob, if you are doing the meets then i'd say do what you want to - if i can make it i will ;) , but i wont moan if it's at a time/place i cant make it :)

Longer-term, how about at some of the Knockhill days (not BTCC, the bike days, stock cars - anything really) when it's not just as busy ??

Dave
DodgyDave

Postby Old Webmaster on Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:49 pm

I will send out a mailer to all the Scots and point them in this direction.
Old Webmaster

Postby _weeman_ on Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:19 pm

i'm kida biassed but falkirk wheel is a really good car park for meets etc, the local police are also very good when i comes to such events, ie falkirk cruise, plenty of police pressence but they only ever pull the idiots, just a thot. Ross
_weeman_

Postby chan18T on Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:37 pm

wow wow wow. . .
chan18T

Postby j4m1e5 on Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:37 pm

I second that about Falkirk wheel, it is a very good place to meet and has good sized car parks. It is also 'kind' of central between Glasgow and Edinburgh
j4m1e5

Postby Griff84 on Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:30 pm

yea falkirk wheel is no too bad been through a few times, will be attending meets this year as ive free'd up gas money lol
Griff84

Postby push110 on Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:44 pm

Think i'll have to try a get myself down to a meet sometime, Any where around perth would be good.
push110

Next

Return to Meets