SEAT Automobiles Forum banner

HELP....INFO PLEASE ON FUEL CONSUMPTION????

8K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  IbizaKingsnake 
#1 ·
I have a new MK Ibiza 1.6 diesel turbo. Just run in. I love everything about it :D apart from the actual fuel economy (OR LACK OF). :cry: I am trying to find out if I have a "turkey" , or the claimed fuel consumption is SEAT pie in the sky!!! :oops: I am averaging 39 MPG on both the computer and actual, using fuel fillups/mileage. My usage is typical with a mix of motorway and town driving. Please, please notify your experience (average MPG)on this thread. Thanks :D

#2 ·
I would have thought you were doing very well on fuel consumption. Diesel cars always use more fuel in cold weather. I do not know why this is but it is an accepted fact. The Ibiza is a quite large & heavy car despite being the smallest in the range. I have just bought the 1.2 ecomotion ( a week ago ) but I have not had it long enough to check the consumption. Despite claimed figures I am not expecting any more than about 50 mpg overall owing to its weight.
I also run a Panda Diesel This is a very light weight machine and it generally averages 55-60 MPG. There is no way that the Ibiza is going to better that ...... simple laws of physics, the panda is almost 50% lighter ! .
I console myself that they all do better than my hobby car, a 2Cv.

#4 ·
Well i just brought a 1.6 tdi sport ibiza (10 plate), I am disgusted with fuel figures quoted in the seat literature, its a load of rubbish, i get between 30-35 mpg around town and about 40 mpg on motorways, a hell of a lot less than the 60-70 mpg quoted

I traded in my 2006 vw polo tdi (wish i had not) which would cost me between £10-£20 per week in fuel, and got 50-60 mpg this beast eats £20 in 2-3 days, I have just got the log book back and was very surprised to see this thing weighs 1631 KG, my old range rover (1989) gives me the same fuel economy as this car which considering the 21 age difference is amazing.and the range rover is only just over 2 tons

I would not buy another that's for sure, this is just to expensive to run.

#5 ·
In response to jimboltus.... I had not realised the car was quite so heavy. It is very heavily built compared to my Panda but 1.6 tons is a heavy car! Our Ecomotive ST still has not been used much owing to my wife's flu, and it is still on the first tank full with 400 miles on the clock. The gauge is now sitting just below half full, so it seems to be doing quite well

#8 ·
I am getting 55mpg out of my 1.2tdi se ecomotive, i have challenged seat who have basically told me to go away as the official figures are government figures and are only re-printed by seat. Although they do quote them when they are selling the vehicle.

my previous citroen 1.6hdi c4 did 54mpg, without the performance sacrifices that i have with the seat

these cars are clearly designed to provide maximum figures on these government tests and not in the real world

my daily commute is 11 miles of non motorway and 64 miles of motorway, i thought i'd get a lot more than 55mpg!

#9 ·
In response to m_lawson's post this figure is only slightly less than I am getting from my 1.2 ecomotive diesel and my milage is mostly rural B & C roads living as we do in Rural N. Yorkshire. Most of our journeys rarely get above 50 mph. I would think therefore, that it is probably as good as it gets.
The comparison with the C4 is interesting, I have been a member of the Citroen Car Club for years and have hankered after a C4 low emission model since ever they launched a sub 120gm/Km model some years ago. Citroen take weight very seriously and although I do not have comparative figures to hand I suspect that the C4 is a much lighter car than the Seat. Better for economy, but of course not so good in an accident.
All manufacturers have access to similar technology today and so personally I think it is about time they began to think seriously about weight and jetison unnecessary junk such as electric windows, central locking, rear screen wash wipe, electric mirrors, and especially air conditioning in the UK. I have had cars with a/c because of the difficulty in finding ones for sale without for some 6 or 7 years now and have used it on perhaps 3 or 4 days a year in the U.K. and once on a trip to the Pyrenees. What a waste of energy to drag the equipment around for the rest of the time. One of the best examples of this type of car is of course the Citroen C1 which my daughter has. In basic form it is a superbly lightweight car, very economical, and a hoot to drive. It is a shame there are no larger Citroens built in the same ilk.

#10 ·
me again......my 1.2 se ecomotive tdi is currently in the garage, has been for nearly a week. Dealer has informed me that the egr valve has failed and there are none in the uk. I have been told that i cannot drive the car until the part arrives, when i asked how long that will take i was told that it could be a day or a week or even longer. the part is on back order so the dealer doesn't know when it will come (the statement was when it lands in the parts department thats when we will know when you will get you're car back, we will ring you when it eventually arrives)

i have a leon 1.9tdi courtesy car which is averaging 52mpg......not much worse than the ibiza (and without the eco compromises that the ibiza has)

i have complained to seat uk about fuel consumption and now this failure but got told to go away on the economy and have had no response on the egr issue

all in all they are not interested

has anyone else had this failure ? it appears to be common on older ibiza's

#12 ·
Hi, I have recently got a 1.6TDI on a 10 plate I use for work as a carer, most of my driving is short stop start around town and dual carriageways I am getting about 43mpg for work. But when I take it out to my parents of friends going down minor A roads I am getting 55mpg. What I do is use the gears, torque and turbo to accelerate up to speed changing at around 3000rpm and then cruse around on the top of the accelerator in 4th or 5th and completely off the accelerator when going down hill. The gear indicator should NOT be used as a hard and fast rule in my opinion, going up a slight hill at 30mph it will tell u to use 4th but I find 3rd better for consumption and engine response. Hope this helps. 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.