SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone

I just bought a Leon 2001, 1.6s, and she's great apart from I just discovered the CL doesnt lock the boot, according to the manual the lock has 2 positions, horizontal and vertical, the lock wont turn to horizontal without what feels like a lot of force so I left it in the vertical position.

When I lock the car the CL is supposed to lock the boot lock is in the vertical position but it doesnt, so I'm left with a car that is very easy to break into.

My question is, is this an expensive fix, has anyone come across this before, or am I missing something ?

If it does require a fix, can I use an independant mechanic or do you think only Seat will have the necessary expertise to fix it?

cheers, and TIA

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Pull the trim off the inside of the boot - its held on with VERY strong clips and I think possibly a couple of screws. You should then be able to see the lock, it's fairly easy to see how the different mechanisms work then and you should be able to see if any thing's jamming etc

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'd be VERY careful taking off the boot lid lining if I were you....it can easily be damaged and isn't cheap to fix....I wrecked my last one on my previous Leon...clips and bits of plastic flying everywhere!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I rang my local Seat dealer in Cardiff and he said it was probably the CL motor and was £28 for the part and £70 per hour labour *mind boggles*(he couldnt/wouldnt say how many hours it would take), so I rang my local garage who I normally deal with and he said to bring it in before I buy a motor.

I am dropping it off tomorrow, will let you know what he says.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Don't go to White Dove - they're rip off merchants IMO and the standard of their work is very poor - I bought my Ibiza from them and after 3 months trying to get some fairly minor problems sorted to no avail I wouldn't go back.

I now use FRF Seat in Swansea and can't fault them - great friendly service, short waiting times for work ,courtesy cars always available (and free) parts always delivered the following Wednesday and they're cheaper for labour!

Bit of a trek across to Swansea, but it's better than the 6 week wait for an appointment.....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Okay mine's a Toledo but as far as I know the lock mechanism is the same..

With the boot cover removed (advise caution when removing - on the Toledo its ten screws, eight of which are inside a removable cover and then some plastic 'studs' around the upper part of the boot cover - anyway I digress!) you should be able to see the boot mechanism.

It comprises of the boot catch (which locks to the main body), a linkage to the release handle, a linkage to the locking unit and then the locking unit itself..

First things first, does the unit make a sound when you lock using the remote? If not then it's not trying to lock to boot and it's either fuse / wiring / or motor related.

If it does, check the linkages. On mine the linkage from the boot release to the catch sheared off it's mountings (it's a casting and I believe it's a weak point in the system).

If they are okay, check the boot catch is operating. You should be able to put a screwdriver (or similar implement) to mimic what the catch does when closing onto the car body. This will simulate the boot is locked and you can then see if the unit locks with the boot open (hope that makes sense)..

The catch unit also has a spring in it that connects to the link - this also went on mine so check that.

Hope this helps, I'll check back later to see if you have any luck or need any more help..

Oh, my only experience is with FRF in Swansea and they were very professional - heard only stories about White Dove and they wern't good ones..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just thought I'd update you on this problem of mine, I took it to a local garage as I dont have the time (or ability) to start taking apart stufff, anyway he couldnt find out why the CL wasnt locking the boot but he didn manage to get it to lock manually with the key, so I accepted that.

I think the potential cost to fix this properly, plus the time and hassle involved would have been a pain, total cost was £40 and he put a new battery in the keyfob (didnt ask him but it wasnt working so nice of him I think).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.