SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since purchase of my car i have had problems with the fuel usage.

Basically on a motorway run at a steady 65mph i get around 35mpg.

Around the doors, it seems to drink the petrol.

Its a 55 plate 1.2 SX model. I have the air con off most of the time, or if i do use it on the ECON mode.

I have complained since purchase of the car last summer, 14k later and im still complaining.

Dealer
1st visit - no leaks, flashed ECU to latest version
2nd visit - no defect could be seen, ECU checked fine
3rd visit - come bk in another 1000miles and let us know the MPG
4th visit - bring it bk and keep note of the MPG
5th visit - emissions test (said it was fine, wouldnt give me a print out), ECU checked fine, values within "scope".

Basically i am chucking money away fueling the thing. I get about 300miles per 40litres, which is 34mpg. This is mainly "A" road driving to and from work, no traffic at the times i work. I live in the countryside, so mainly A roads everywhere i travel.

Last long trip was to yorkshire, used 30litres of petrol over 200miles. Which is about 30mpg. This was straight down the A1 at 70mph.

Now ive complained to the sales man who says hes going to speak to his sales manager, and the service manager and see what can be done.

I am going to carry out a emissions test at work tomorrow, see if the figure is normal etc.

I work in the transport industry, i arent a boy racer and i arent going to be fobbed over by seat.

Ive had the car since June 06. I purchased it as a Ex-Demo car with 3k miles on the clock, ive done 14k, making it 17k miles.

Can anyone offer any advice? Im stuck in a rutt. I cant afford to pay the finance off, but i cant keep paying out petrol like this.

Just for reference, the combined book figure is 47.1 mpg.
So say if i got 45mpg, thats 10-15mpg more then i am currently getting.

14000 miles / 45mpg = 311.1111r gallons
14000 miles / 30mpg = 466.6666r gallons

466-311 = 155 gallons.
1 Imperial gallon = 4.54609188 liters
155 x 4.54609188 = 704.6442414 litres
avg price per litre = 87p?
£0.87 x 704.644 = £613.04
Thats the difference in less then a year, so you can see my point.

Help anyone?

Jordie

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sorry to say but 47mpg is more than just being optimistic for a 1.2. I think the fairies invented that figure in Seat / VW offices.

From reading the other thread on SF, 35mpg isn't that bad compared to other people on here. The ibiza is a heavy car, so a 1.2 will always struggle to give good mpg, that is why they have diesel power too.

From the sounds of it, your dealer has been pretty good really. They could be alot worse thats for sure. You've managed to get new headlights when many other dealers would rebuff it as a feature of the car (without even calling the warranty provider).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only got new headlights because i have a copy of the SEAT rectification notice, which i gave them the number to check. once they checked it, they issued a claim to seat and 2 weeks later, new lights.

I find 35mpg disgracefull for A road and Mway driving. If i am driving around the town or city, which isnt too often but does happen due to my work, i find myself fueling up twice a week. its getting out of hand.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hiya

Ive just checked myself, and my average fuel economy in the 1.4 model is 31.5MPG, so in a smaller engine be glad your getting that. I get that economy doing 100 - 150 miles on motorway and A-roads and the rest on B-roads.

Keeping in mind that for me, seat combined figures are 43.5, seems they are expecting you not to accelerate.

However, from everything ive read when queerying fuel economy in the past, and even speaking to seat, 30 - 35 MPG in the 1.2 / 1.4 petrol range is the common.

In a 1.2, im dreading to think what rev's you are sitting at, on the motorways, this really wont help your fuel economy!

Sorry to say it mate, but i dont think there is a problem. If your really not happy, and like the cars, sell it and get a diesel, however i know with seat finance, this isnt easy as looking into it myself!

Sellw88

G

·
Sorry to say but thats pretty good and also the figures maybe dont reflect the rise in fuel perhaps .. so maybe 3 years ago you would get 400 miles out of a tank now 300 ...

On an Ibiza Cupra you are lucky to ever see 30 MPG unless you drive like a granny ...

35 mpg is good

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats the rise in fuel gotta do with the MPG?

the cost might be different, but same amount goes into the tank.

40litres 3yrs ago at 79.9
40litres today at 87.9

Decided, im gunna sell it. Nice looking car, shame about the poor engine.

G

·
Because people still think that they should get X miles to a tank ...

Not sure what you are whinging about to be honest :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think it just takes a while to get used to the fuel consumption on a new car.....if you become neurotic about it and think about it too much it'll drive you crackers, and you won't enjoy the car at all!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I don't think you can say the 1.2 is a poor engine, I think you are expecting too much of it. 35mpg is very respectable for a small petrol engine in what is effectively a fairly hefty car. 10 years ago a 1.2 in a Fiesta would get you about 40mpg, but I'd bet the Fiesta is nearer the weight of the Arosa, not the Ibiza.

If you are so concerned about mpg, get a diesel.

·
Registered
951 Posts
S1BDN;782331 said:
Because people still think that they should get X miles to a tank ...

Not sure what you are whinging about to be honest :)
Beh.....
Can't see how thats relevant at all to be honest.

The price of fuel has nothing to do with your MPG.
It does directly affect the Cost Per Mile of your car though.

Take my old Ibiza for example...
When I bought it, I got around 350-400miles per tank. Petrol cost around 79p a litre then.

Just before I sold it, I still got 350 - 400miles per tank. But it cost me around another £5 extra to do the same mileage.

Was still getting the same MPG though...

Anyhoo...Back on topic:

I've managed 54mpg in a 1.2 Fabia before, which is boxier and heaver than an Ibiza.
Granted it was for a 20mile trip, no traffic, hardly using the throttle.

Another, and probably the most significant point is this...When VAG come up with fuel economy figures they are not calculated on the road in real time conditions.

They're done with minimal weight in the car on a rolling road for so many minutes/miles.
The combined 47mpg comes from urban and extra urban driving.

Urban driving is calculated at 27/30mph IIRC.

And here's the more important bit:

The extra urban (what you should be getting on the Motorways) is calculated from driving at a constant 56mph on the rolling road.
On a completely flat surface, no wind resistance, little rolling resistance and 1/4 tank of fuel.

Thats why you don't get that sort of figure when travelling at 70mph on the motorway.

My 8 year old Civic is supposed to do 39mpg combined, I'm lucky to see anywhere near 35mpg.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I get 50 miles per fiver of fuel (£0.87/L), 100 miles per tenner etc out of my '05 1.2L Ibiza. I travel mostly on the motorway. A full tank will see me for between 320-340 miles depending on driving style and road type.

Incidentally, having used my Sat Nav to measure vehicle speed, the car's speedo is over by about 10%. Therefore 3500K revs/70mph indicated is actually about 63mph.

10 years ago I had an 'M'-reg 1.2i Vauxhall Corsa. I used to be able to do 400-430 per 40L tank c.f. 320-340 in my Ibiza, but the Ibiza is a better performing engine. It's more responsive when accelerating on the motorway...

·
Registered
333 Posts
davart;783114 said:
Incidentally, having used my Sat Nav to measure vehicle speed, the car's speedo is over by about 10%. Therefore 3500K revs/70mph indicated is actually about 63mph.
I'd have that checked ouy myself, a 10% varience is pretty high considering the supposed 'high quality' components. Incidentally, my speedo is spot on when compared to my Sat Nav, but I wouldn't rely 100% on the accuracy of sat nav.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used a TomTom Go 300 to measure the speed. This was on a straight stretch of motorway in good weather, so shouldn't have any problems with the satellite signal. Bear in mind a 10% difference at 30mph is 3mph...

I have 6J x 14 steel rims on my car with 185/60 tyres. Other people I know say that their sat navs under report the speed when c.f. the speedometer.

I always thought that most cars over report their speed to avoid problems with speed cameras etc...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts