SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My altea is 1 year old on April 1st. 1.9 TDi 105 bhp.

We were quoted £176 for the 10K 'oil change' by the SEAT dealership in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.

Is that a reasonable price? What exactly do they do? My old Skoda Octavia was a very robust diesel engine. What's different between that and the newer pdi diesels?

I was quite angry to be honest. They said it was their fixed price servicing and it costs what it costs.

Needless to say I am loking for an alternative service from a reputable dealer.

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
£176 sounds about right for the 10k. Most people seem to be quoted somewhere in the region of £150 to £180. You could always try another dealer, or even another non-SEAT garage. So long as they use parts that match OEM spec, and stick to the service schedule, and are VAT-registered, then your SEAT warranty will still be valid, and it normally works out cheaper.

What engine did you have in the Octavia? Its probably the same engine, the 105bhp is non-PD anyway, so has been knocking around for a while now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
All the later 1.9 tdi`s are "PD" (pumpe diesel) no matter what the bhp is. I have a 105 bhp version and was charged £145 at the local Seat dealer for a 10000 mile service. I rang round all the local Seat,VW and Skoda dealers and that was the cheapest quote. All they actually do is change the engine oil and oil filter in the quickest possible time. The "highly trained" Seat technician that serviced my car was in so much of a rush he even managed to leave the "o" ring off the oil filter cap resulting in my drive being covered with oil, luckily i spotted it before any damage was done to the engine.
PD engine oil is quite expensive because it has to deal with the high pressures of the fuel injection system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A local VW garage will do it for £105 + the air filter if I want it changed.

The service guy there who is familiar with the engine said that's all that is needed at this point is oil, sump, filter.

Diagnostics etc are done at 20,000.

Naturally if the brake pads were shot for example they'd change them, but the car has only done 8600 miles in 12 moths so I don't think I'll panic just yet. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Altea TDI is due its 20k service. One dealer quoted £188, another quoted £230!

I then checked with Nationwide Autocentres (AA Service Centres), £74 for an interim service or £150 for a full service.

Checked the cars handbook against the service content and the interim service covers everything required at 20k plus more!

RESULT

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have my 1.9tdi serviced by a small independent Seat franchised dealer, W. Livingstone of Uddingston. 10k service was £78 (oil & filter change only) and 20k service (oil & filter change plus a pollen filter) was £165. For the 40k service (same as 20k plus a fuel filter) the quote is £246.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Be careful with this!

The SEAT service intervals are -

Oil change service - every 10k or 1 year
Inspection service - every 20k or 1 year

This means if your car is a year old you will need a full inspection service, not just an oil change!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Yea .. but do you know what the inspection service is ???

Its the same as a "normal 10k" one, but they also look at a few other bits (brake fluid level that sorta thing - they DO NOT change/fix them though!!).

Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
Seat servicing is really confusing.

I bought my 2.0tdi last march used with 5500miles and 10 months old. The garage serviced it showing oil change service.
It was then serviced at 15 500miles, seven months later showing, 20 000 mile inspection service.
Its now six months since that service with 25 500miles and all the garages say i need the 30 000 mile inspection service.

Is this right? what should it cost. Can anyone recommend a good seat garage around warwickshire/west midlands.

Cheers all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts