SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
woohoo I'm the first one to post in here!

OK I am now looking into the line of diesels for my next motor and was thinking of going for the 90BHP TDi unit for insurance purposes.

In time I would be looking at chipping in order to get more torque and BHP in order to keep my needs at bay.

All the websites seem to have rough guesstimations, apart from Superchips who have a dyno plot of a 20 or so BHP rise and god knows how much torque rise.

What I'm wanting to know is has anyone had it done and if so, who by, how much and what gains you got out of it.

Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Can chip it to 110bhp and 130bhp....with over 250lb/ft of torque.....

in gear acceleration is phenomenal apparently.

I drove a Leon TDI 90bhp courtesy car the other day.....and i'll NEVER buy a diesel...it was just damn weird!

It built up speed ok.....but not as fast as i expected after all the hype about torque figs (close to level of my beeza).....

got my beeza back after 4 hours...and the turbo was deffo there!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bet you could tell the turbo was there on yours, considering you are probably running over 100 BHP over the Leon and with more torque!

I am also considering a 1.6 petrol, but I know I could get more out of the diesel and insure it!

Oh I have a question for you, you know your front grille, is it a standard item withe the S badge removed and oettinger in it instead or a oettinger item?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I had a totally different front bumper on me car for about 2 months.

Its an Abbes Design one http://www.abbes-design.com

The Grill is an integrated item......and from what i've seen with someone else's car, you cannot get the centre grill bit (without the badge) to fit properly with the standard bumper. Its a little loose.

Its all meshed up instead of the std honeycomb.....and i had an Oettinger Badge put on it, for obvious reasons!

If you fancy having one of those bumper, let me know.

Lee

PS: Mine didn't fit properly, so its still in my garage. But i've been told 3 other ones they've since done has gone on perfectly!

G

·
I would def go for the diesel mate, its quicker, more tunable and MPG to die for!

Ok so it doesn't sound great but there are extremley good engines, worked on them for years with very few probs.

I think you can get serious torque out of them as well 300lb/ft anyone?

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
I drove my cousins 90bhp mk3 Desiel and i loved it! JUst pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled and u get the idea :D

They sound like a very attractive purchase, with the insurance MPG and torque but its just the noise damit :( But hopefully u should be able to kill the spotty Nova boy in it and make him feel really ****ty cuz its a desiel!

G

·
I think when it comes to tuning them, its not how much power do you want, it how much smoke can you put up with!!!:D

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lee, I do like that bumper but if I was to buy it it would be a good few months before I even get the car! I've just played about in paint, without the fogs that bumper looks funky! How much are they new?!

Steve, I dont care about smoke, the noise would probably get on my nerves but at the end of the day it's an excuse for an ICE build!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yep, done that - makes one hell of a difference.......

Goes like stink, still rattles like hell on tickover but sounds mean and growly when revving, suspension struggles with all that torque though

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BeezerDiesel what performance gains did you get compared to standard, also who did you go with and how much did it set you back?

The suspension won't be a problem, I will be going down the uprated route anyway!

LEE REPLY ABOUT THE BUMPER!!!

Tom

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wouldn't like to say how much difference it was in terms of bhp etc. as it was never rolling road tested but out on the road it was unrecognisable as the same engine!
No extra smoke on mine and mpg much the same.
I used a JR Torqmaster imported by Webcon which you don't see around much any more - bought second hand and sold on again when I sold the car, as my new one uses different connectors although nominally the same engine type.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What are you running now, a 110 TDI?

It looks like a 90BHP TDI is definate now, the only one that can be insured...:swear: :burg:

Tom

·
Registered
171 Posts
No only a 90 still but with air-con etc.
Was looking around at 110's or a cheapish 20vt but stumbled upon this one by chance which was affordable and I thought would make an interesting project.......

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see...I'm looking for a fully loaded 90bhp one now and then I will find a chipping company to sort it's power!

With that chip, what did you feel from it? Slight improvement in acceleration, a few MPH on the top speed?

Tom

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ever driven a Pug 205 1.9 GTI ? a bit like that!
It went from a torquey but sluggish diesel to a live wire with amazing mid-range that would put a VR6 to shame (I've owned two of those and believe me)
Top end is a different story, most petrol 16v's would still walk all over it (when they eventually caught up after their flat mid-range)because as it's still a diesel the revs are still limited to just over 4000rpm.
In brief it revs a lot quicker and has more power throughout the rev range, the throttle is much more responsive and the torque doesn't die off quite so quick.
0-60 a bit like a 2.0 8v, but on a bendy road it would keep up with almost anything if the suspension is sorted....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Chungster said:
Can chip it to 110bhp and 130bhp....with over 250lb/ft of torque.....

in gear acceleration is phenomenal apparently.

I drove a Leon TDI 90bhp courtesy car the other day.....and i'll NEVER buy a diesel...it was just damn weird!

It built up speed ok.....but not as fast as i expected after all the hype about torque figs (close to level of my beeza).....

got my beeza back after 4 hours...and the turbo was deffo there!
Hi dude, do you have Msn so i can talk to you? i cant send private messages, my msn is : [email protected]

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
markmck said:
You can up the size of the injeectors in a TDi 90 as wheel as chipping

Raven's the man for more detail.
I remember that there was a Toledo owner on here with 190BHP injectors (from the rally car or something). Wish I could remember where he got them from, I want some on mine! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.