SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, so I've had the EPC and check engine light coming on and off for over a year now, with over 4 different mechanics telling me not to worry about it. I've just had a full service.
Fast forward to now, I just drove 20+ hours to Sweden from the UK. After 6 hours of driving ( with half a tank of fuel), both amber lights appear on my dashboard, and I'm unable to accelerate. The engine didn't cut off as I have a new battery/alternator belt. I had to pull over and restart my engine, which fixes the problem and I'm off again.

So it seems when my revs lower, the car just can't gas/accelerate every 20mins-1 hour (had to stop about 10 times since the first time within a few days). In Sweden I managed to get an error code diagnosed which said I had a leaking intake system (17550 error code) and an error with the EGR valve... The mechanic reset the codes but couldn't understand how to fix the issue.

I'm only driving short distances and the problem doesn't seem to be coming back. The air filter is completely clean. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what you think the problem most likely is? :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is this a diesel? Then short distances will block the dpf and any (petrol or diesel but issue mostly affects diesels) EGR valve can gunge up with sooty/oily deposits and jam or become too stiff to operate, so car goes into limp mode or worse.
fix means replacing the valve. (But it will happen again unless you address why it’s gumming up)
was very prevalent issue on GM (Vauxhall/Saab ttid engines)

A leaking air intake system will wreck the engines fuel/air calculations so the engine won’t work too well at all but this should be fairly easy to check, just remove the air box etc so you can get access around the inlet manifold, then with the engine running use a NON-FLAMABLE smoke/vapour/aerosol to look for air being sucked into the inlet manifold after the Mass meter (MAF) around any joint/gasket/seal.
worse case, the manifold has to come off, so new gaskets. Can be done at home if you’re confident and mechanically minded. If not, sadly it’s garage rates.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the detailed response. Its petrol and I've already ordered a new EGR valve so that's my first move. I'm absolutely far from mechanically minded but I've seen a few videos explaining exactly what you've described with the smoke. Replacing the manifold sounds pretty daunting, but I'll definitely do some research. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Should only be the manifold gaskets if that’s where it’s getting in. Highly unlikely that the inlet manifold casting itself has cracked. (Unless it has cooling/heating water going through it, old Audi 80’s did that to help with cold starts).

but, good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts