SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right haven’t been to the gym for a year or so and going back now , is it better to do more sets of reps of a lighter weight or less of a heavier
I used to do 2 sets of 10 reps of a heavy weight (ie feel the burn after first few) and do it everyday with brill results now I can only go once a week so shall I do lots of reps of lighter weights ?what will give the best benefit (want to build again more than tone)
Ta

Chris

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
if you want to bulk out, then you need to do heavy weights and less reps - but more sets...

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
Ive heard recently that if you are looking to build, rather than general fitness, you should be doing less reps of heavier weights, then have a big rest period for your muscles to re-generate before your train again.

So basically lift as much as you can but obviously you wont be able to do as many reps, then recover, which would suit once a week training.

I would however check with any trainers that maybe on hand at the gym, they should know.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm a weightlifter, have been training seriously for 10 years, so have managed to pick up a few bits along the way!

Firstly, how often do you plan on going?

you need to be splitting up your bodyparts per night for fullfill your maximum potential. to start off i'd recommend 3 visits to gym per week with rest days in between for muscle recovery splitting it as below:-

Monday - Biceps & Back.

Wednesday - Triceps & Shoulders.

Thursday - Legs & Chest.

This to start will be enough for you; you're best sticking to a few major core exercises also, your body to start off will benefit most from these, (indicated in bold)

Biceps - Seated dumbell Curls, Stood Barbell Curls, Hammer Curls.

Back - Wide Grip Chins (thse are hard to start off with but try to do 50 reps even if you can only do 2 at a time just get to 50), Seated Rows, Bent Over Rows.

Tricep - Close grip presses, cable push downs, kick-backs.

Shoulders - Clean & Press, Militiary Press, Lateral Raises.

Legs - Barbell Squats, Leg Extension.

Chest - Bench Press, Incline Bench Press, Dumbell Flys.

Also to gain size you need to eat Protien and Carbohydrates, make sure you eat enough and/or get yourself a supplement powder.

You need to be keeping your number of rep's to between 8-10 (no higher) but make sure you are "failing" on your last rep if you can (will prob need a mate spotting you on certain exercises, be careful!!) keep to about 3 sets per each exercise.

...erm.....plenty of dedication, and that about it!!.

Good luck!!

Rich.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ok this is what my hubby says if you are wanting to build muscle and get big firstly you need to look at your diet, read this How to gain weight You also need to be consuming enough protein. Consume 1gram per pound you weigh each day. My husband eats about 30 grams of protein a meal so he says:

Essentially to gain muscle mass you need to make demands of it which it can not reach. Thus it grows to meet the demand. (diet is very improtant here. You must consume the right ammount of fuel to aid their growth)

In this respect you must train HEAVY. Every group of muscles you work, you should aim for no more than 10 repetitions before you reach MMF (momentary muscle failiure) ie, you physically can't perform another repetition. If you can do no more than 6 you are too heavy / more than 10 and you need to increase the weight.

Check out the routines on that site. It should give you a good starting point. I train 3 times a week, mon wed fri, for 40 mins / 1 hour, NO MORE. You begin to release detrimental chemicals after this hour,(Fight or flight mode) and you body stops producing testosterone. Immediatly after you train, consume a protein drink, you body will be craving it.

Along with the diet drink lots of water 3-4 litres a day. Keep cardio to a minimum whilst bulking. Those calories you consumed need to be for muscle growth, not burnt playing football etc.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies , Rich that’s a great regime thanks for taking the time to type it , tbh I used to go to the gym Monday through Friday and do a similar routine to what you suggest with running/cycling on the intermittent days, for medical reasons I had to stop 18 months back (got fatter but lost weight since) now im on good medication so am going back to the gym (no jogging anymore though  ) but coz of family/work ties (15 month old son) I can only manage once a week hence I was wondering what is the best practice for such a short time (I know it aint gonna make much of a difference apart from psychologically only going once (wish I could do old regime again) but was wondering how to make the best out of the little time I have to tone and bulk

Ta
Chris
Nb the gymis in one of our buildings so hence no instructors to ask 

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
Doh - looks like i need new weights then. I can do about 15-20 of my current ones before muscles start to hurt.

Should i not be doing it every day then? Should i take a day off?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I have been working out doing small weights many times for about a year now. Maybe I should have asked this question before going completely the wrong way to bulk up!

Oh well, multi gym here I come:)

·
Registered
400 Posts
pint_of_stella said:
Doh - looks like i need new weights then. I can do about 15-20 of my current ones before muscles start to hurt.

Should i not be doing it every day then? Should i take a day off?
You must take a day off, or the muscle just wont build up.

At least 48 hour rest between workouts. Remember your muscles grow while you rest, not train. Get good sleep and quality rest time.

If you are eating correctly you should be able to gain 1-2 pounds of mass per week. Weigh yourself once a week, first thing in the morning (empty stomach/bladder) naked.

Eat eat eat eat eat eat, train, sleep sleep again, repeat. lol

·
Registered
428 Posts
midcuk said:
Thanks for the replies , Rich that’s a great regime thanks for taking the time to type it , tbh I used to go to the gym Monday through Friday and do a similar routine to what you suggest with running/cycling on the intermittent days, for medical reasons I had to stop 18 months back (got fatter but lost weight since) now im on good medication so am going back to the gym (no jogging anymore though  ) but coz of family/work ties (15 month old son) I can only manage once a week hence I was wondering what is the best practice for such a short time (I know it aint gonna make much of a difference apart from psychologically only going once (wish I could do old regime again) but was wondering how to make the best out of the little time I have to tone and bulk

Ta
Chris
Nb the gymis in one of our buildings so hence no instructors to ask 
Ok, if you're going once a week, try and do the major exercises that i indicated in bold - as ibizababe says train to failure no more that 10 rep's. If in the future you can though i'd look at going twice, you will benifit greatly from this.

You can eat as much protien as you like, i.e tuna, chicken breast, turkey. you won't get fat, try not to overdo the carbs, especially sugar-carbs these will make you fat.

You're welcome for the advice, it is good to help.

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
A point to note also. Free weights is the only way to train properly. Some guys you see at the gym stacking the machines think they are strong but believe me, they try to do a bench press with free weights and they won't be able to lift much. If you dont have much time one of the best exercises you can do is pull ups. Get a pull up bar from argos or somewhere. They easily twist in or out of a door frame. There are 4 different grips which you can use. Hands close together or wide (both either with an overhand or inverted grip). Do these every other day. Narrow grip works more biceps and wider grip the lats (or back). Try to do 'proper' pull ups by going all the way down rather than just halfway. Maybe do the 2 narrow grip ones on a Monday, 2 wide grip ones on a Wed, 2 narrow grip on Fri, etc. These will only take ten minutes to do but will give you a 'v-shaped' back and ultra strong arms. Try not to swing when doing it as this takes away the benefit from the muscles you are working. Try to lean back when doing wide grips and you will feel your back being worked further.

Push ups with wide and narrow grips are also good at working pecs and triceps. Doing squats without weights (say 100 reps) helps to bulk the legs. Hope some of this is useful.

·
Registered
428 Posts
stiffler said:
A point to note also. Free weights is the only way to train properly. Some guys you see at the gym stacking the machines think they are strong but believe me, they try to do a bench press with free weights and they won't be able to lift much.
Good point. :aham:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks guys
think i will work out a proper regine again (think i can fit in pull ups at home now and then again ta stiffler , rich n everyone)

ill b in casualty by the weekend :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Exercise is the best way to build muscle. For people who want to build muscle fast in weeks but you don’t have time to go to the gym or you don’t want to spend money on an expensive membership or you’ve had a history of injuries, you should check the article that you can do exercises with barbells. In this article, you will find "Best seven exercises with barbell". Wish you the best and good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts