SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To clarify and as an example, the 2.0tdi which in standard form produces a claimed 140hp is advertised by many companies as producing between 168 and 175hp with a remap.

Whilst each engine is physically identical (but can produce differing bhp) it must be the case that the map to take a standard engine to the 168-175 point is pretty much identical no matter who does it.

I ask this because remaps for this engine vary in price from £350 to £600, I accept that with the addition of filters etc some remaps are custom and unique to the car it but must be the case that a standard remap is made up of the same code across the board.

I am happy to be proved wrong and I accept that different companies offer better customer support and other services for your £.

If one owner has a standard remap on a standard car what is stopping someone downloading the code and copying it across to an identical car.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
no the maps arent the same across the board, some are mapped more for torque or more power, some are to smooth the driving out (although they all do that really). With the cheaper ones people tend to have more problem with their cars because the maps havent been developed very well, although this isnt always the case.

Personally I'd always rather go with a reputable company that have mapped hundreds of cars and have a good name and customer service. But say you were to buy a cheap map from someone and it wasnt that good it would only cost you more to get your car fixed and another map....

You cannot copy a map from one car to another it is protected, otherwise it would be posted on the internet and everyone would have it for free!!

G

·
As Dave says nowadays every car has its own unique code and is not the same as the next one hence custom code which maps to YOUR specific ECU code

1 - 3 of 3 Posts