SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a bit of help. Went to install a plug for a dishwasher and cant fathom out the wiring in me house. As far as i can see all the sockets are wired off of a 15amp ring main which doesnt seem right. Anyone know if this is too low or safe to put another socket in the ring.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You are correct - 15 amp is low (and maybe incorrect).

If you take the front (carefully!) off one (or maybe two) of the sockets, is there one or two sets of cables in each?

If there is one, you have a (very old) radial system whereby you have a central 'termination' point somewhere and each socket is fed from that - the 15 amp fuse (?) is protecting the cable.

If you have two cables in each (as is usual) then you should have a 'ring main' system which, if installed correctly, will be protected by a 30 amp fuse (or better still MCB).

If it is a ring main (and there is the correct 30 amp protective device) you can 'spur' off a socket with a single 2.5mm 'twin & earth' cable into your new socket.

One thing to bare in mind - if you are adding to a kitchen circuit you need to take further (local) advice as you may have to comply with the new wiring regs which revolve around the building regs (trust me, it's a nightmare now)..

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
"most" ring-mains will be on a 30A braker with 2.5mm cable (in a ring of course!!) - but not always.

It could be a "spur" that only feeds a single socket so is rated to 15A.

Thing to check......

1. make sure ALL the brakers are ON

2. turn OFF the one that say's 15A on it and then go around to see what sockets it turns off.

3. let me know :)

If you get stuck i might be able to come over, but time is tight just now.....

Dave

·
Registered
160 Posts
Okay so it would appear to be a ring main - if that's the case then in theory you can come off the nearest socket as a spur (but not the socket that is feeding the fridge freezer).

I would still have it checked as by adding the dishwasher may (depending on usage) take the loading over the protective device rating.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Don't forget as well the dishwasher is quite a big load in itself (heats its own water)
A fused spur "should" be ok but if you have someone who can look at it even better
At least then you have someone to punch if theres a problem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts