SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is getting its first service tomorrow and I was thinking about getting SEAT to change the brake pads for some Green stuff pads (EBC??) Do you all think I will have to change the discs at the same time? Just im fed up of the squeeky brakes and all the carbon build up!!

Gareth

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Originally posted by SIDE SHOW TURBO
My car is getting its first service tomorrow and I was thinking about getting SEAT to change the brake pads for some Green stuff pads (EBC??) Do you all think I will have to change the discs at the same time? Just im fed up of the squeeky brakes and all the carbon build up!!

Gareth
EBC? You sure?

Did'nt last very long at all on mine. 2K miles only.
Are they available in the correct thickness for your car? 19.6mm they should be.... don't get fobbed off with 15mm jobbies for 16v brakes.

I would always go Pagid Fast Road... they last longer and work more consistently i my experience. - Dust is black from them, so you will have to clean your wheels as often as your car (weekly? :D)

Pagid FR5051 are the Fast Road pads to suit a 20VT Ibiza running 280mm disks.

Bill

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
That is the one side of the coin yes..

As a note, the pads you have on your 20vT at present are NOT the G60 sized 19.6mm thickness ones... the brakes on the 20vT are exactly the same as the set on the older Mk2 16 valvers apart from they are painted red at the factory..

I have EBC Greens on mine and have done more miles than you got out of the full set Bill and I have hardly any wear on them at all... so it seems a lot to do with driving style and possibly due to a change in compound from EBC (they moved to V4 fairly recently).

I would definitely suggest swapping to beter performance brake pads and would choose EITHER Pagid Fast Roads OR EBC Greens... both are a vast improvement on the standard pads.

when I eventually have to replace my EBC's I will possibly get Pagids so that I can see if there is any difference on the car, as I have had NO problems with my EBC's.

My two penneth.. and fair comments I believe.. if I suddenly find my pads wear out overnight now I have reached about 5k on them I will take back all I have said.. lol

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobster
That is the one side of the coin yes..

As a note, the pads you have on your 20vT at present are NOT the G60 sized 19.6mm thickness ones... the brakes on the 20vT are exactly the same as the set on the older Mk2 16 valvers apart from they are painted red at the factory..

I have EBC Greens on mine and have done more miles than you got out of the full set Bill and I have hardly any wear on them at all... so it seems a lot to do with driving style and possibly due to a change in compound from EBC (they moved to V4 fairly recently).

I would definitely suggest swapping to beter performance brake pads and would choose EITHER Pagid Fast Roads OR EBC Greens... both are a vast improvement on the standard pads.

when I eventually have to replace my EBC's I will possibly get Pagids so that I can see if there is any difference on the car, as I have had NO problems with my EBC's.

My two penneth.. and fair comments I believe.. if I suddenly find my pads wear out overnight now I have reached about 5k on them I will take back all I have said.. lol
Scoob... are you saying the stock pads are not 19.6mm thick on the 20VT as mine certainly are/were.
I have the front end of a 16v Ibiza and its brakes are exactly the same size and fitment.- G60 fitment. Same as on my Jetta. I know, cos I have swapped the pagid FR disks over to it having upgraded to Brembo's on me berzer.

EBC did'nt make the 19.6mm pads but do make the thinner ones for 256mm brakes. The backplate shape is identical. ONly the thickness is different, ie not G60 spec. This is what was supplied for my 20VT from new.. was never right (pad thickness I mean)

My disks were the cheese grating Tarox G88's also, as I know this was a huge factor in the very poor pad life. - Certainly worth mentioning.

The standard pads which came off mine (I still have them ~60 miles on them only) are 19.6mm thick, and made by Jurid. Modelled on blocks of wood from my experience of Jurids.

regards
Bill

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Maybe so... just didn't look like it when I took my old stock ones off... they only had a couple of month's wear on them and they didn't look any thicker than the EBC's I was putting on.

I am running on standard discs which I agree may well be the reason for mine not wearing as quickly as yours did.

I have actually found that the hgher temperature of operation of the pads has caused excessive wear on my discs and so they now need replacing... *note to self.. in future change discs at same time as pads*.. lol

I have only had decent experience from my EBC's as yet.. so can't fault them.. although I will be trying the Pagids at my next change. See how they fair.

·
Registered
637 Posts
no-one mentions Mintex, we've never had a problem with Mintex and give them absolute hell when required. A set of F4s lasted a season easily and stopped the car like no other pad. None of our successful customers uses anything else.......
With the help of Si there should be a report on some suitable Mintex pads soon, the only thing we're not sure on is road wear rates which is something we'd like to test ~ hence Si getting a set.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Originally posted by [email protected]
no-one mentions Mintex, we've never had a problem with Mintex and give them absolute hell when required. A set of F4s lasted a season easily and stopped the car like no other pad. None of our successful customers uses anything else.......
With the help of Si there should be a report on some suitable Mintex pads soon, the only thing we're not sure on is road wear rates which is something we'd like to test ~ hence Si getting a set.
I have run loads of sets of 1144 Mintex on the Jetta and they worked well too. I changed to pagid fast road as they lasted longer and were slightly cheaper.

EBC's worked, but not for long as the wear rate was very very high. (Greenstuff V4's as well !)

Bill

·
Registered
728 Posts
i am running EBC V4 greenstuff pads all round with greenstuff grooved disks up front and i must say they are the worst pads i have used, if i was keeping the car i would definatly replace them with pagid fast road as Bill said,

I have done close to 30,000 miles on the EBC v4's and the feel they give to the pedal isnt nice, they arent very progressive and they glave over pretty easily which is difficult to wear off

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.