• Ive never used the chat room but ill have a look

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So then,

Here is a poll for you, and any comments about the subject are welcomed, so post away.

The site used to have an IRC chat host so that the chat room could be accessed either form the java client or by other IRC clients like mIRC.

Due to the moving of the SE site to a new host and some upgrades and mergers of the chat hosting company the channel was closed and SE now uses php chat.

I personally don't like the php chat client and won't use it, I prefer the IRC client and of course do have a slightly biased view due to me co-owning the IRC chathost company that Se used to use.

I would like to know, would you like to see the chat room as it was before? or do you like it as it is now?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fact that there is no one there is in my personal opinion because the client is sh*te and it isn't a very good live chat host. The previous irc chat was never really really busy, but it had more action than I have ever seen with the php client.

I expect that most times you go into the php client chat there will be no one there, I have never found anyone using it.

On an irc chat server I would expect greater numbers of users, but we'll see what people want.

Thanks for your comments though Steve.

If you want to see the kind of chat available on an irc client feel free to visit http://www.chathostuk.com and try any of the channels from there, including the GTA3 official chat channels.

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
I prefer to use the IRC chat host as i've used it in the past, and i know how to work it etc. Also i get to use my funky colours too :D

Scoobs I think people rn't using the Chat room cuz its not really known and some people rn't as clued up in using mIRC programs etc. I think the site should host a pre set up mIRC program so that ne1 can download it and click connect put there Nick Name in and be away! Also some instructions would be good! What do u think?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We should (ChathostUK) be able to supply the SE site with a fully set up all singing all dancing java client as we supply front end java chat scripts to quite a few of our customers.

mIRC is obviously owned by Khaalif thingy me bob, so we can't bundle his software pre-setup from a link, however we can give very simply instructions on how to set it up.

Using IRC is pretty easy, and if you just wish to 'chat' then it is really simple, if you want to do fancy things with it, it isn't too difficult (I can even use it pretty well.. lol).

I aren't making any money off SE by you using chathostuk, but it simply means that I will be more likely to use it (and I think others will be) and so will be able to live chat to ya'll..

I just wanted to gauge opinion, and then it is up to the executive board of SE and Si to make a decision.. just trying to think of improvements in the 'chatting' and family feel of SE as a whole.. :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Well, i can tell you one of the reasons why the old chat room was heaving (very active is a better way of putting it i guess! :D ) was because ease of use, and the speed of the thing.

I for one want it back, and my mIRC software still has it set on it.

The Php client is a total pile of poo in my opinioin...its oh sooo slow.....and has an annoying habit of keeping the last few posts for all to see day after etc...

VOTE FOR CHAT HOST UK! :D

Lee

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the support Lee and SmithRC, we aim to please n all..

We'll see how the voting continues.. then it is up to the SE committee to decide what they want to do..

If IRC is desired we can set that up for you with no problems.. :)

G

·
To be honest I preferred mIRC but we did have some problems towards the end with getting on and servers!

I would prefer to be with a service from a member of the site anyway!

Matt or Andy will need to set it up with ya Martin and then if youcould assist with getting members set up in there?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup,

I agree that there were some problems with the service before things changed for SE too.. we had some hosting problems and so had to invest in infrastructure and hardware so we now have unlimited bandwidth and the server latched onto a 155mb/s backbone..

We are also now running Operserv, Nickserv and Floodserv, so there are no problems of spamming, people cannot enter the room under other people's names and the there is a whole host of IRC server ops that can help out in case of problems.. plus of course we can allocate ops for your channel if required.

I will get my business partner Steve or one of my server ops to set up the room asap, and get it moving along.. plus will sort out the links to go up on the SE site..

Will contact Steve now, to get one of the technical crew on it.. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.