SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a post to peeps who have chipped their Ibiza Cupra's and whether they have experienced lower than hoped power/torque etc.

There seems to be a few 2001 model, AYP engined Ibiza Cupras with problems of lower than expected power for chip upgrades (tuner independant).

Last year when my own was dyno'd an a few dynos (including VAG-COM) it always gave about 188-193bhp from its "210" conversion.

Seems I am not alone, and that some are way lower than my own. Suggestions to date being possible inlet manifold differences between early and later engines...

What do you guys think?

Jabbsport are spending a lot of time to try and get to the bottom of this, as these problem cars also have lower than stock power before chipping, when dyno'd. Most good 20VT engines seem to give more, not less power, so somethings up!

Bill

·
Registered
502 Posts
Lets get a poll of who has AYP / AQX engines.....and if its been on a RR, what you've got on it?

And if its chipped, by who, does it deliver what its supposed to?

I have an AQX motor, late 2000 spec, and as far as I'm concerned it delivers the goods, which is round about 210bhp!

Lee

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jabba ecu remap

I went in for the Jabba ECU remap on tues 16.7.02. I had read the previous posts about not reaching 200bhp and was a little unsettled. The only mod i have is the Miltek 2.5" exhaust.

It ran 144 bhp first run then 150 bhp 2nd run it should be a least (158bhp with exhaust).

My car is 2001 with AYP engine code

Mike advised me that it looks like one of the problem Ibiza's

After remapping all day. He was very suprised and we managed to get 198bhp (First time i had smiled all day!!)

The only sugesstion was that mine had a few more miles (13,500) before being chipped and could have loosened up. however still 8 bhp down on what is expected.

Hope these comments help.

I would like to say that Mike and co @ Jabbasport are very efficent and are willing to take that extra step to help the customer and themselves to resolve the problem.

I hope that a definitive answer can be found relating to why some Ibiza's are not hitting over 200 bhp soon

mike

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mines Oettinger chipped, intake pipe, Miltek zorst and dyno'd 188bhp @ flywheel @ Power Station and 193bhp @ Stealth Racing. (both RR done in as supplied spec)

VAG-COM'd in above spec at 188bhp also 212lb/ft torque

Since had larger 2.5" Miltek and Hurricane Induction added (feels better but not had it on RR since)

AYP engine code - 2001 model.

Bill

G

·
possibly Its a airflow thing,

Mike asked me to to take off my inlet manifold to check the port size, He seems th think that the later modal car's have bigger injector's which cause a restriction into head from the manifold.

To be honest i haven't had time to have a look yet.

Ive got some comparison RR printouts from good car's(older) to bad car's. Ill post em later, you can clearly see the difference in power at higher rpm.

I took my car back to Jabbasport after some overboosting problems, it origionally got 215bhp but when i went back we couldn't get it over 200bhp, thats what it ended up being 200bhp on the button.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Steve
possibly Its a airflow thing,

Mike asked me to to take off my inlet manifold to check the port size, He seems th think that the later modal car's have bigger injector's which cause a restriction into head from the manifold.

To be honest i haven't had time to have a look yet.

Ive got some comparison RR printouts from good car's(older) to bad car's. Ill post em later, you can clearly see the difference in power at higher rpm.

I took my car back to Jabbasport after some overboosting problems, it origionally got 215bhp but when i went back we couldn't get it over 200bhp, thats what it ended up being 200bhp on the button.
Steve,
When you got your higher first reading what was the weather and temperature like?

Cooler perhaps than the 2nd run?

Bill

G

·
Originally posted by badger5

Steve,
When you got your higher first reading what was the weather and temperature like?

Cooler perhaps than the 2nd run?

Bill
Can't explain it mate, it was colder the first time but not by much,

originally chipped to 215 the first time then went down to 185ish when i went back!

Certainly not down to cold/warm day!

G

·
optimax both times,

The car was overboosting badly on the road but not on the RR so this is more than likly the reason.

Still drives V fast though, keeps up (or beats) other chipped ones.

G

·
I have approached somebody to ask the SEAT Techies about this as it would seem that us in the newer Ibiza's are coming off worse and had I known that I would have bought a second hand one with a few miles on the clock!

I think this needs some more investigation?

·
Registered
193 Posts
The only positive note from all this may be that our older car will be more desirable when it comes to selling then, eh Lee.:D :D :D

AQX engine 210BHP on 95RON

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
i've got a 2000 spec with AQX engine with upsolute chip and ABD inlet pipe :)

still haven't had it rr'd yet but will do soon, only prob i get is the 5psi moments, but that's only @ high speeds for a long time (short blasts r fine)

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I have obtained quotes from insurance companies for my car when chipped and it only seems like a £50-100 increase (company dependant), so...

I am now considering getting it done at some point towards the end of the year.

What is the best choice to go for?

It seems that Jabbasport are popular!? How good is this remap? and what are the costs involved?

I also note that APR have reduced their prices a little, what about their system? worth its salt?

Any others worth a look at?

I don't want to rush into this one as I don't want to be stuck with a bag of turd I can't sell when I decide to...

·
Registered
193 Posts
From personal experience I recommend Jabbasport to anyone. 6 months and 7K miles later with no problems, just shear outright enjoyment. Fuel economy is OK as well, total result IMO.:D

G

·
Seeing as youve got a nearly new car, RSD do a conservative chip upgrade (TUV approved) to 195 bhp which will give u a warranty that lasts the balance of your Seat one.

Dont kill me Bill!:eek:

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by FISHBOY
Seeing as youve got a nearly new car, RSD do a conservative chip upgrade (TUV approved) to 195 bhp which will give u a warranty that lasts the balance of your Seat one.

Dont kill me Bill!:eek:
I won't shoot ya. :)

Warrantys eh..... LOL on paper yes. Reality? Nope!

Bill

·
Registered
502 Posts
Wayne......

AQX motor..........210bhp......on 95 RON (but goes even better with 98-100RON)

Might have to make that a selling point then..."AQX motor...not the inferior AYP motor that you seen in newer ones"..hehehehe

Yeah baby!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by Chungster
Wayne......

AQX motor..........210bhp......on 95 RON (but goes even better with 98-100RON)

Might have to make that a selling point then..."AQX motor...not the inferior AYP motor that you seen in newer ones"..hehehehe

Yeah baby!!!!!!!
DOH!!! DOH ! DOH DOH DOH!

Anyone with an AYP that actually produces some nice power??

Bill
:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 94 Posts