SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally fitted the centre chrome vent surrounds to my Mk4 Ibiza. Did it the proper way without resorting to glue.

The old plastic surrounds will get broken during removal. Use a small screwdriver with a piece of cardboard against the dash to prevent damage, then lever them out. They will crack then you will be able to remove them.

To get the main vent out, I wrapped the 'slats' in tape to prevent marks. You then have to make sure the four clips are pushed inwards so the vent can slide forwards. Once the four clips are outside the dash, the vent should come out. You can use a pair of pliers on the taped slats to coax the vent out. Any resistance is due to either the four clips or the vent connection to the air duct behind. Take your time...

Once the whole vent is out, you will see a notch at about 10 o'clock. There is a notch on the chrome vent surround to enable you to match them up. You then push the chrome surround onto the vent body and you will hear a positive 'click'.

The vent body and chrome surround should then be one unit. You can then slide it back into the dashboard. Make sure the vent air flow knob is horizontal before you slide the vent into the dashboard. Take care to slide it in evenly so the rear of it mates with the air duct behind. Again, you willl hear a positive 'click' as the four clips seat behind the dash.

Once the job is done, check the air flows throu by turning the blower on full. Check that the shutoff knob in the centre of the vent works by turning it 90 degrees.

Hope this helps anyone trying to fit them - they are a bit of a pain!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dont suppose there is any chance of you getting a picture up? as ive wondered what these look like for a while, ive been considering them myself.

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
brwmogazos;786508 said:
Dont really like the chrome surrounds myself.

I think an FK badgeless center grille looks good though
These are the chrome surrounds for the interior air vents, not the grilles at the front of the car ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Picture and step-by-step guide - yeah will do that. Was gonna take pictures as I was doing the job but to be honest just wanted to get the damn things fitted properly.

There is an installation guide supplied with the surrounds which isn't too bad. The illustrations aren't the best though and the written instructions a bit ambiguous. I'll try to clarify the worst bits.

Wonder if it's ok to scan the original installation guide. Might infringe copyright...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The job is a bit of a nightmare, but once you've completed it, you kind of wonder what the fuss was about. Once you've got the vents out, you can see how things fit together and you then think 'ah, that's why it wouldn't budge'!

As I said, I will do a how to - I think I'll need to do a few sketches since I didn't take photos as I fitted them. The problem is finding the time to do one.

If anyone does want to fit 'em and gets stuck, just leave a message on this thread and I'll help out.

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i did mine but i got the primed ones and sprayed em red...took me ages to figure out how to fit em and when i did they didnt sit right at first finally got it done tho......wish i had found this site earlier

1 - 12 of 12 Posts