SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: SEAT Leon 1.6 SX 54 Plate (32,000 Miles)

Hi,

About a week ago, I was driving along (at speed) a dual-carriageway, when I pulled up a slip road and put my foot on the clutch, I believe it didn't disengage. When I got it in neutral I found I could no longer get the car in gear, presumably the clutch was still engaged.

Taking it to SEAT service I was told that the Clutch was worn (it has done 32,000) excessively. They replaced the clutch plates and showed me the worn ones (they were very worn), but they could offer no explanation of why there was excessive wear or why it happened suddenly (I had no clutch slippage).

I took the car back the other day but immediately I could hear a strange noise. It happens generally just after I have put the car into gear and pressing gently on the throttle. As soon as I dip the clutch it goes away. If I start to accelerate more the noise lessens (or at least I can't hear it over the engine noise).

It is going back to the garage next week to be looked at, they can't tell me what the noise might be.

As I was charged a lot for working on the clutch once (not under warranty because its just a worn clutch) I don't really want to have to pay to work on the clutch again. Should they have spotted this problem before giving me the car back?

Does anybody have any ideas?

The noise can only be described as a fairly high-pitched whirring.

Thanks
Andrew

G

·
Changing a clutch at 32,000 miles wow were you driving it with the clutch depressed for 32,000 miles ...

Mine went at 30,000 but that was due to my re-map and a heavy foot!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I got the car when it had 14,000 on the clock. I do drive my clutches quite hard but I never ride them. I've no idea how it was driven before I got it so it is possible that it was just worn, but I'm just concerned it went very suddenly and now I have a second problem presumably with the clutch.

Andrew

G

·
32,000 just doesnt seem right at all .. on a TDi or a Turbo as you tend to kill the clutch a lot of the time ...

They are supposed to last up to 100,000 miles so I was told lol!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts