SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fitted my diamond audio components today. (thanks Pete for the MDF trick). My question is I haven't used the crossovers I just connected them straight to the wires from the old speakers so what am I losing out on ?? Is it just extra power ??

Thanks

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, now looking for a set of rear speakers to go with the components. Should I stay 6x4 or cut the parcel shelf and bang some 6x9's in ??

Any good deals doing the rounds at the mo ??

Cheers

G

·
I know I am not the GURU but I would stick with 6x4 rather than 6x9 because for one they are a lot cheaper and the 6x9 might be overpowering the front speakers and then the SQ wont be as good but there are ways you can get around that, but I noramlly like the easy way and I take it you dont if you are willing to cut a new cut the parcel shelf. I could be wrong however but I am just talking from experance from when I heard a friends car.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Malpits I value your opinion. As you state it will be easier to stick with 6x4's as they'll go straight in no prob's. As for the over powering of my new components...it will take some doing they are sweet !!!

G

·
Thers no point fitting a decent set of componants and then drowning them out with some tacky 6x9's!

IMHO don't bother with rear speakers at all! I haven't and it sound better for it as well!

·
Registered
555 Posts
To your original question mate the cross over is there to set the bandwidth going to each speaker.

ie takes high frequencies away from the woofer and low frequencies away from the tweeters.

If you feed tweeters with excessive low frequencies you can destroy them...

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Steve
Thers no point fitting a decent set of componants and then drowning them out with some tacky 6x9's!

IMHO don't bother with rear speakers at all! I haven't and it sound better for it as well!
Opted for just an upgrade on the 6x4's. Those standard SEAT one's are pants !!!!

Thanks for your comments Steve

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by matt1e
To your original question mate the cross over is there to set the bandwidth going to each speaker.

ie takes high frequencies away from the woofer and low frequencies away from the tweeters.

If you feed tweeters with excessive low frequencies you can destroy them...
Matt1e - Judging by your comments it's not a major issue not connecting the crossovers then ?? Potentially though the tweeters could go belly up ?

Thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
I wouldnt have thought the woofer would have many problems being full range its design probably makes it more sensitive to low frequencies than higher ones!

I woud have some concerns I suppose about running tweeters without any kind of high pass filtering..

If you dont want to put the crossover in there then put a capacitor in series with the tweeters.

C=1/(2 x Pi x R x f) is the formulae used to calculate the capacitor required. R is the tweeter impedance probably 4 ohms and f is the 3dB (half voltage) point.

so to have half the voltage accross the tweeter at 1khz C = 1/(2 x Pi x 4 x 1000) = 400uF approx. But you will have to play with where you want the cut off point!

This type of fitlering gives you 3dB per decacde rolloff ie the voltage accross the speaker at 100Hz is half of what it is at 1kHz and at 10Hz its half of that of 100Hz.

Crossovers normally have a 6dB roll off so 1/4 instead of a half!

I think all of the above is correct but its been a couple of years since I've done any of this stuff:D I make mistakes I am only human:D

hope it helps

Matt

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
Mate you have just bought some of the best components on the market... And you are going to damage them.

STOP USEING THEM NOW!!!!!

Seriously you WILL damage the tweeters if you don't have the crossovers wired up. Tweeters can not handle lower frequencies at all and they will be damaged pretty quickly. The crossovers are there to protect the tweeters as much as they are for the sound...
The mids should be fine but the crossover needs to be in there.

Use the crossovers or you're tweeters won't last long at all...

Pete

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info Matt1e and thanks Pete for the warning. I will fit my crossovers at the weekend.

Matt1e - I also had problems with 6x4's so for the sake of time and the standard ones being that ***** I just went down to Halfords and bought some from JBL. Cheap and nasty 120w !!

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Silly question maybe but as I've never used crossovers before..

I've looked in the manual regards installation and every diagram shows an amp !!

Do I require an amp to run the crossovers ??

Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
if you hsvnt fitted the crossovers how have you wired in the tweeters, i take you have a separate little speaker and a larger one?- it sounds daft i know.

The main feed should be wired into the input on the crossover and then where it is marked up(with what ever symbols they use!) wire in the tweeters and mid's- possibly marked with a t and an m. Although i am unsure as to the markings for da!

hope this helps

Ps i agree with steve, dont bother with rears i did but removed them almost instantly, once the amps, components and sub is set up correctly you shouldnt need them! honestly you'll be amazed at the differance setup can make---try it!

Steve, back me up here:D

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
The input that the manual says comes from the amp should be connected to the wire the door speaker was connected to originally. Then run new wires from the crossover to the mids and tweeters. They should be well labeled.

Oh and I wish everyone would stop being so silly and fitting rear speakers... :p :p

You sit in the front right? You look forwards yes? Then why do you want sound coming from behind you?? In my Cordoba I removed the rears all together to let more bass through the metal shelf. In the leon I've just faded right to the front so the rears do nothing...

Oh and don't worry about the passengers in the back, who pays for the car, road tax, petrol, insurance.... If they don't like it they can get their own mota... :moony: :kiss:

Pete

·
Registered
555 Posts
Did the same in my clio completely removed the rear speakers and just went for an amp to power a sub and the fronts:D sounded sweet:D

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right crossovers up and running so I now need to get an amp to see ALL the good these components are giving me.

Any recommendations on a decent amp ?? I'll literally only be running my components of it so what kind of Watts should I go for ? Just a 2 channel Amp ok ?

I should be getting a new Rockford Fosgate headunit soon so was looking at their amps. Any reports on those ??

Sorry for all the questions guys

Cheers ;)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Glad you got those cross overs in:)

It may be worth starting another thread about the amp mate:) That way its all easier to come back to or for other people interested in the same thing to find:) I aint saying ya have ta its just an idea:)

m

1 - 19 of 19 Posts