SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently brought a 1997 (R plate) Cordoba Vario 1.9 TDi, and have a couple of problems with it I was hoping someone could help with.

Firstly, I can't get the boot interior light to come on - have tried changing the bulb, the fuse is intact, but no joy. I can only assume the switch has failed, but don't know where it is or how it works. There is a similar post on here already about this but so far the answer to it seems to apply to the model made after mine.

Also, there is a rear screen washer switch and symbol on the wiper stalk, but no sign of washing equipment. Was it never fitted to this model or has it been removed? Where should the rear washer jet be and how is its supply fed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Having investigated a little more, I have discovered that the washer does exist and should work, but instead of dumping screenwash onto the rear screen, it dumps it out by the nearside rear wheel instead. There was some accident damage to repair here before I bought the car and whoever did the repair obviously didn't bother to check the underlying cabling.

Having taken the lock apart, the boot light switch is an integrated part of the boot catch and is a mechanical slide switch activated when the catch is closed. The switch meters through fine so works properly, but there was no Voltage going into it from supply. Following the cable back, it ends up in the same loom as the screenwash - probably another victim of accident damage.

I think I may try and get this fixed under the warranty seeing as the repair wasn't done particularly well....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the washer pipe that was leaking fixed under warranty (two sections had come apart, possibly down to the pipe streching under repeated opening and closing of the boot) and then tried to trace through the bulb fault myself. It was quite difficult to pin down to one fault - I ended up disconnecting a good earth and soldering in my own (convinced there was an earth fault at first) and then getting confused by the fact that 12V was arriving at the bulb switch and the bulb but the bulb was still not working, even though the switch and earth were definately good.

I've called a car electrician today who investigated it further for me and he tells me that the fault was caused by a corroded 6way multiplug in the same passenger side rear quarter as the washer pipe. Obviously, the leaking fluid has eaten the wiring a bit, but just enough to create a highish resistance (I measured 200 - 400 Ohms) but not enough to break the circuit (Hence 12V appearing as it should do). He's recrimped it I think and sprayed the rest of the plug with WD40.

The bulb now works! Yay!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Unfortunately, the leaky wash pipes are a common problem with the Ibiza's, so it's no surprise that the Cordoba's are prone to the same problem. The problem occurs when the washer fluid freezes in the pipework causing it to expand and popping the connectors undone. I was lucky and never had this problem on my Ibiza, but many others have had it happen repeatedly - I always used a very strong concentration of washer fluid in the Ibiza - I don't know if this was the reason I didn't have trouble or if I was just lucky. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.