SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Has anyone ever heard of a crankshaft seal oil leak on a 64-plate Leon?

Oil is literally pouring out of the engine as fast as it is poured in, and I'm told that this is probably the cause, but no-one I've spoken to has ever heard of it happening.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
181 Posts
Steve.Haywood said:
Hi

Oil is literally pouring out of the engine as fast as it is poured in, and I'm told that this is probably the cause, but no-one I've spoken to has ever heard of it happening.

Thanks
Steve
Hello there,

Hopefully you've had this issue rectified by now, but if not yes your oil seals can leak anywhere from engine, but to be honest the oil seal would have to seriously be in a real bad state to leak so quickly.

Regarding the crank shaft oil seals you normally have 2 of them, one is the front main oil seal basically front of engine behind crank shaft pulley, to replace this seal you'd have your cam belt or timing chain removed to gain access to the old seal.

The other seal is called the rear main oil seal, this is right behind the flywheel on back of engine, to replace this seal you'll have your gearbox removed from engine, then have your clutch and flywheel removed to gain access to the old seal

It can be expensive to have the front or rear main oil seals (crank shaft oil seals) replaced.

Other causes of oil leaking quickly from engine whilst it's stationery and switched off are as follows:

Sump plug lose or crossed threads
Crack or split or pitted with rust in sump
Sump gasket warn or sealant perished
Front or rear main oil seal alloy housings cracked
Main oil seals badly perished or disintegrated
Oil filter warn or rusted through if it's a metal one

Or whilst engine is running oil will pour out fast if any of the above are faulty, plus the below list.

Oil pressure switch warn or damaged
Crack in engine block running parallel with oil gallery/s
Head gasket warn
Cylinder head damaged
Oil seals various around engine
Oil core plug rusted through that caps off oil gallery
Oil filter seal warn or damaged

Hope this helps

Si

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

Thanks
Steve
Hi Steve,

Just stumbled on this thread but I literally have the exact same issue, 64 plate leon tsi decided to dump all its oil, did you get yours sorted in the end? It was it fatal?

cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts