Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Denison IceLink and Apple Ipod Review
Author: Iandavies

I've decided to take the plunge and connect my iPod to my Leon Cupra using a Dension IceLink. I thought that some of you considering the same may benefit from my experience.

I bought the IceLink from http://www.ihavetohave.it which appear to be the UK dealer for this product. At one end the IceLink has a set of connectors that mimic a Sony CD Changer. At the other is a connector for a variety of methods for the iPod, such as a direct cable connection or a dock - I chose the dock and the optional Brodit ProClip to mount it on the dashboard without drilling it. This means that I can simply slot the iPod into the docking station on the dashboard and it is instantly available and powered. Since my car is brand new and I am a bit of a duffer with things like this, I chose to have the optional fitting service, which is carried out by Carphone Warehouse. In my case, I had this done at the Canterbury branch. In total, I paid around £180, which is significantly more than the cassette adaptor, the FM link or separate line and power connectors but what you are paying for is convenience and quality. Just wait till you hear the sound and you will be impressed.

The fitting is a professional job and the dock is a very secure holder for the iPod. It is located on my car next to the air conditioning display and provides just enough room for the glovebox to open properly and for full operation of the air conditioning system - just right. The iPod acts as a replacement for the CD Changer and connects to the head unit in place of the current CD Changer. This means that you will no longer have the option of using the CD Changer but on the plus side, you get a glovebox the can fit more than a pair of gloves folded up.

Operation is simple - you just select disk 1 on the CD changer and your iPod is turned on and if any playlist is active, it will start playing at the point at which it was previously stopped. You can jump to the next or previous tracks using the standard track control buttons on the head unit and holding them down performs a fast forward or rewind operation just like it did with the CD Changer. Selecting the radio or turning off the head unit will turn off the iPod but continue to power it/charge it's battery. The same applies when a Traffic Announcement interrupts the current song being played but when the iPod is played again, it resumes from roughly where it left off.

Sound quality is fantastic. Although I am not an audiophile, it does sound to me every bit as good as the CD Changer that it replaces but gives me significantly greater flexibility. If I "acquire" a new mp3 song, I can put it on the iPod and listen to it on my way to work to decide if I want to keep it or not. The old way had me burning an audio CD with all new songs, half of which turned out to be crap and a waste of a CD. In the long run, it will save me money. It also means that I can listen to the songs properly without the misses complaining about it being too loud or me spending too much time with headphones on and not in interesting conversation with her. Probably most importantly though, is that the money I spent on the iPod is now worthwhile. Don't get me wrong, I love the iPod but I only use it when I am travelling on a train or an aeroplane, which is quite infrequent. Now, I use it at least twice a day, every day and this is great.

I have had no bad experience with this system at all. I think that a large part of the success of this product relates to the type of head unit that is powering it and in the case of the Grundig, it works very well indeed.

I thought I'd post my experiences of this system for all interested parties. Despite this glowing report of their product, I would like to say that I have no connection with Dension and do not stand to gain out of the increased sales of their systems. I am merely a happy Leon owner who now has a glovebox and a vast song collection to make me even happier.

Hope this helps.

Ian.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.