SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading all the stuff that has been said recently about engine codes and early 2000 cars and the later models, does this mean then that this was the problem and that the RSD210 Conversion did actaully work? Its all getting very interesting and I feel sorry for the company if it to do with this.

:(

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
I've no doubt it does work, I don't think there have been problems on anything else but Ibizas. The Leons have always done what they state. And Lee's proves that it works on some Ibizas too..

RSD can't be blamed for the problems that have been experienced IMO.... HOWEVER the thing that worries me is that with people complaining, they never noticed the ones not putting out the proper power had a different engine.

Pete

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its just that I was chatting to Mich yesterday and these things can bring companies and reputations down and now we have found a deffo problem, its like some people dissing Impossible but Mosser has never had a problem on his Leon has he?

Just shows you its a bit of a lottery out there!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Si, as you know ive had the RSD 210 conversion on my Leon. The difference when I first got it was amazing as it had so much more pull round to 6000rpm. Since then I havent had a problem with it but recently Ive felt that it hasnt had the same punch. Now before anyone starts jumping the gun, I think that it could be down to any of three explanations.
1, Ive got used to it!
2, Its been very hot and humid recently
3, Maybe a minor problem.

Anyway all I need is for a quick plug in VAGCOM to find out and the RR day should be a truish test of whether it does what it says on the tin! Roll on December!
:D

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Originally posted by CupraSi
After reading all the stuff that has been said recently about engine codes and early 2000 cars and the later models, does this mean then that this was the problem and that the RSD210 Conversion did actaully work? Its all getting very interesting and I feel sorry for the company if it to do with this.

:(
As a "210" customer myself I would say yea, they do on some cars but not all. Lee's is a good one, as was Paul Baystones and Ben Sleats.. Mine was'nt. (DOH!)

It has to be the same for all chip tuners but especially the chip fitters who fit, someone elses pre-programmed software.

Some cars benefit more than others.

Most power actually recorded on my own engine (in "210" supplied spec) was 193bhp & a peak torque of 228lb/ft torque. The dyno was Stealth Racings on a back to back test, APR vs Oettinger on my own car.

I have heard of another chip supplier/fitter who has also found a dud 20Vt Ibiza, and that too gave dissapointing stock power figures and very dissapointing chipped figures.

The risk in selling something branded a "210" is the expectation that that is what you WILL get. It is compounded even more by the TUV approval which is touted with this also. Must be right eh? (In an ideal world, with identical starting points, eg consistent 20VT engines, this should work out.)

The most I could get frmo VAG-COM on mine when in "210" spec was 188bhp and 212lb/ft torque spike.

Its evolved now into a different spec and has picked up some gains from induction and 2.5" Miltek so probably is closer to the "210" now than it ever was.

As soon as someone cracks the problem, which it looks like Steve might be helping out with re manifolds, the better for everyone.

Regardless of the numbers, the truth is there is a real gain in power & performance over stock. I would'nt run stock ever again. :p

regards
Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well put Bill,

I am hoping though that mine is close to 210bhp because I have a Leon which is 180 as standard and so a 30bhp rise shouldnt be that difficult to achieve.

What was your RR figure after your APR chip??

·
Registered
193 Posts
Its just that I was chatting to Mich yesterday and these things can bring companies and reputations down and now we have found a deffo problem, its like some people dissing Impossible but Mosser has never had a problem on his Leon has he?

Just shows you its a bit of a lottery out there!
I originally had the Upsolute chip in mine from Impossible. Mich was a great bloke and he was very helpful when I had a couple of problems. Unfornunately Upsolute couldn't give me what I wanted, not Mich's fault at all. Jabba did a mega deal for me which is why I changed, but I do believe the set up I have now is better and worth the little extra.

As a company I found Impossible OK and would recommend them to people in the South East. Jabba is obviously ideal for me as only 1/2 hour away.

I do think it can be advantagous to get mods done more locally if possible to save hassle if problems do occur, if you can get what you want obviously.

:g :) :D

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Originally posted by FISHBOY
Well put Bill,

I am hoping though that mine is close to 210bhp because I have a Leon which is 180 as standard and so a 30bhp rise shouldnt be that difficult to achieve.

What was your RR figure after your APR chip??
Here are the comparison plots on my car, RR'd at Stealth Racing, comparing RSD/Oettinger "210" with APR. Same car (mine) same day. Very well cooled.

http://www.badger-5.go-plus.net/page2.html
^^^ Bottom of page.

and here>> http://www.badger-5.go-plus.net/images/apr-oettinger.jpg

and here>> http://www.badger-5.go-plus.net/images/apr-oettinger-torque.jpg

Area under the curve is interesting between them.
Torque spike from Oettinger one feels the faster but tails of rapidly, where APR's keeps building longer and higher.

On the road (real road) the RSD/Oettinger felt the quicker one and more eager which was a surprise given the 1 bar boost (sustained) from the APR vs the lower (except the spike) boost from Oettinger.
On peak power figures there was nothing in it between them. APR is much smoother on its power delivery as to deceive you into thinking it was slower. Watch the speedo though and it was'nt :D

My cars spec has changed from then, having gained its Hurricane and 2.5" Miltek. Both helped give a little more shove.

Roll on the IHI conversion...:p
regards
Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Impossible one is a gradual and steady spike and thats how it feels in the car, I will be interested to see how it does on the RR and Dyno as I am now running the same bits and pieces as Bill and Steve ;)

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
The Impossible one is a gradual and steady spike and thats how it feels in the car, I will be interested to see how it does on the RR and Dyno as I am now running the same bits and pieces as Bill and Steve ;)
Do I hear a VAG-COM moment coming up?
Datalog block 120 for derived torque output in NM.
Bill

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'd be interseted to see what you get Si. Mine was 200BHP and 253NM on Jabbas rollers with the Upsolute chip and Optimax.

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
I was saying that to Steve last night. He suggested switching back to standard mode for a bit as I've got used to thee extra power and am getting tempted with more. But as I said with my APR chip there doesn't "feel" that much difference. It's only gone up 27bhp or so but the power is soooo smooth when it comes in it feels almost like standard, just when you look at the speedo you realise you're going quicker..

Pete

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am already used to the power and so will be hunting for more I think, however the good thing is that we now have almost all of the chips or remaps and so can now do some sort of Dyno comparision and see how we all go.

I am not on a witch hunt to see who has the best etc etc, we should all be looking to help these companies develop these things which will in turn come back to us one day.

Ithink that if you put us all on a stretch of road, the only difference would probably be down to driving ability.

Hence why I would like to have a Dyno day as well as a RR Day because as most of us know, now and Bill keeps telling us that a Dyno run is far more accurate than the RR.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry maybe a stupid question but whats the difference between a Rolling Road and a Dyno. I always thought that they were the same.:confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The conditions on a RR can never be comparable to ones on an open road where you would be drawing in direct cold air ...... Thats the little bit that I know!

I am sure Professor Bill will be along very soon to tell you :g

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.