SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, at last I can comment on the Eibach springs my wife bought me for Xmas! I had them fitted at the end of January at Star Performance, but due to an accident on the way home, I have been unable to properly road test them… until now.

The springs in question are the Sportline’s, which give -50mm of lowering and are well matched to the Koni adjustable dampers I already have fitted. For those that don’t know, I swapped the new springs for the Vogtland springs that came as part of a Koni Sports Suspension kit I fitted in 2003. The main reason for changing the springs was to try to reduce the degree of body roll I still experienced after fitting the Koni kit. Don’t get me wrong, the handling offered by the Koni kit is excellent, but without proper sports seats I have often found myself sliding around in the seat due to body roll in the twisty bits and with track days coming up I decided I wanted to firm things up a bit. Amazingly my wife beat me to it and surprised me with a big box on Xmas day!

So, how are they? Well, they are definitely much firmer than the Vogtland’s, to the point where I’ve had to adjust the dampers in order for them to keep up with the spring rate â€" thank goodness I’ve got adjustable dampers. Body roll has been significantly reduced, and combined with the confidence given by a new set of Toyo T1-R’s all round, it feels as if I’m carrying much more speed through the twisty bits. The extra lowering is slight, but gives the car a nicer stance… I definitely wouldn’t want it any lower though. There is a down side I’m sad to report â€" the degree of stiffness has resulted in a slight reduction in outright pace on some of the back roads I thrash on a daily basis. This is because some of the rougher sections now feel as if kerbstones are in the way, and keeping the right foot floored invokes impacts that make me wince… previously the Vogtland’s soaked a lot of this up. On better surfaced B roads and A-roads such problems are much less common and it feels like I’m carrying more speed, particularly through linked bends requiring swift changes in direction. I’m hopeful that the performance on the track will be as good and enable me to set a decent pace… I’m going to need it with all the big boys about!

So, in summary, they’re good, but not perfect. What I’ve gained on good roads I’ve lost on the back roads, and I have a feeling that the whole setup may be more susceptible to damage from pot holes, etc, because of the lack of give. I’m going to wait until after the track day at Knockhill before I sell the Vogtland’s… because I may yet switch back to the Vogtland’s! This is because my main source of joy is thrashing the back roads and in this respect the Eibach’s are flawed. The Eibach’s cost £145 (set of four), fitting was included as part of a service at Star Performance, and the geometry was fully reset (as it always should be after any suspension work).

Latest pictures can be found on the following thread…

http://www.seatenthusiasts.co.uk/fo...3665#post413665

UPDATE:

Wholesale change of mind on this one... the Eibach's have settled in nicely and the harshness has now gone. They were bloody brilliant at Knockhill, and they are now performing well on the back roads too... with all the benefits of much less body roll and more responsive steering, I reckon these are a must have upgrade for most Leon owners who can't afford coilovers. :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
WX51 TXR said:
Wholesale change of mind on this one... the Eibach's have settled in nicely and the harshness has now gone. They were bloody brilliant at Knockhill
Have to agree with this.

Your car was really good on the bends and if it wasn't for the lack of grunt down the back straight i don't think i'd have got past you.

Also noticed how harsh our roads really are after driving on a nice smooth racetrack!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.