SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I have a nice shiney red leon and would like to keep it that way, but with 2 kids and our great weather it will be a little tricky.

I have already got a couple of bits for washing but wanted to run a shopping list past some of you guys.

This is what I was thinking of getting.

Poorboy's Super Slick & Suds
Poorboys Polish with Sealant
Poorboys Natty's Paste Wax - BLUE
couple of applicators and microfibre cloths.

I have already got a wash mitt and drying towel.

So do I need anything for the alloys? I have read that normal wax would protect them just as good, is this rubbish?

If you think I would be better off with other stuff please feel free to tell me as I was a bucket and sponge man until I got my Leon. (Educated by you guys)

Cheers

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Mike's car always looks pretty good. I used a similar treatment on my Ibiza -

Poorboys slick and suds to wash
dry with poorboys waffle weave
Poorboy's Professional Polish or SSR1 depending on how swirled car is
Clearkote machine red moose glaze
cleakote caranuba wax

and then poorboys qw+ quick detailer after washes.

I also used turtlewax nanotech on the alloys - not the best but it does the job

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Easy - just use a microfibre cloth.

If youhaven't already - also look at http://www.polishedbliss.com

It's a great site and Rich on there has provided some great guides and sells all the products that Mike and I use.

If you email him, he'll also advise you on what gear he recommends you to use.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
leighharris;780899 said:
Easy - just use a microfibre cloth.

If youhaven't already - also look at http://www.polishedbliss.com

It's a great site and Rich on there has provided some great guides and sells all the products that Mike and I use.

If you email him, he'll also advise you on what gear he recommends you to use.
excellent. I have been looking at polished bliss and reading most of the stuff on there. I think it's probably time to bite the bullet and just do it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I decided that it was time to apply some blood sweat and tears to my FR.

Of course I picked the hottest day of the year so far to do it.

So as this is the first time I have "detailed" a car (until now I used to wash and dry with a sponge and a dead cow) as I now have all the right gear I thought I would let you have a look at my pride and joy.

Thanks to all you guys that have given me some advise over the past few weeks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I quite like the upside down one!! Seriously, get yourself a good shampoo, ditch the sponge and give yourself a good chance.

Chemical Guys do some great shampoos, get yourself a sheepskin wash mitt and use the 2 bucket method. (one for suds and one for rinse water). As Mike says, clay once or twice a year. You can get Meguiars Quik Clay but the lube doesn't last long. Get some Meguiars Last touch in gallon bottles and make your own.

Keep some neat in a spray and you can mist the car when nearly clean and you will get rid of the dust and give a nice shine.

As for wheels. Einzett P1 wheel cleaner, followed by any good sealant will keep the alloys looking as new. Don't use Wonder Wheels, it is very aggressive and will take off the lacquer over time. I know, I've done it in the past.

I like the Jeffs Werkstatt range. Works well on my Glacier Blue metallic. If I were you I would go for clay, polish, glaze and wax on red. There are loads of options, it depends on what suits you.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
leighharris;784216 said:
Looking good! :cool:

What combination of products did you use in the end?
I spoke to Rich at Polishedbliss about a few things and ended up going for the Jeff Werkstatt Carnubra kit.

It took about 4 hours from wash to wax but deffinatley worth it.

Lee

·
Registered
427 Posts
As you can see by my avatar and the link in my sig my car has never been washed (well I half-heartedly got some flash and a bucket of water last week and did it, then it went to Switzerland and came back with half of europes now decesed buglife on the front and mud on the back). I don't know if the plat grey is especially difficult or just easy compared to our old white sharan and black polo. Nice job though Lee, your alloys look brill. :);):)

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
1.9 TDI;784283 said:
As you can see by my avatar and the link in my sig my car has never been washed (well I half-heartedly got some flash and a bucket of water last week and did it, then it went to Switzerland and came back with half of europes now decesed buglife on the front and mud on the back). I don't know if the plat grey is especially difficult or just easy compared to our old white sharan and black polo. Nice job though Lee, your alloys look brill. :);):)
:fright: Flash!?!

·
Registered
427 Posts
leighharris;784315 said:
:fright: Flash!?!
Well that special car cleaning flash stuff. If i had a Cupra I'd probably Meguiars wax it all the time but it is only a 1.9 TDI Tolly which I love but doesn't need to be showed or anything. What is so bad about Flash anyway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.