SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont know if im posting this in the rite place but anyway....

Within the next month or 2i will have to refill my engine coolant. It is just above the minimum mark so it will need filling.

I no i wont really have to worry about anti-freeze at this point cos well its going into summer (can add sum closer to winter!!). :baffled5wh: :confused1bb:

i was just wondering wat coolant everyone recommends that i shud use. Dont want it to be really expensive stuff tho!!! :baffled5wh:

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
You are right ... for summer you can just top-up with water and it'll be fine.

Once you have topped-up and after taking the car for a good drive (at least 30 mins) and let it cool down take it to your local tyre place and get them to check it (free usually) - they'll see how "cold" it'll work to so you know if you need more antifreeze in it :)

As for sticking more in, there are two types and you should not mix 'em - but i cant remember how you tell whats what, think it's the color but not sure.....

Dave

·
Registered
951 Posts
Errr...G11 and G12 coolant.
G11 is a greeny-blue colour
G12 is red.

One is ethline-gycol or something, thats the G12 IIRC.
Not spelt like that mind.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
yeah VW tend to use the pink / red stuff. Personally I wouldnt put just water in my coolant I would actually buy some of the pink stuff and put it in....like mentioned below it keeps it cool in the summer as well and I'm sure has something to do with keeping corossion down!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i was looking in the owners manual for my car n it said i shud use G12 stuff. And the my coolant thats in my car just now is red/pink n i bought my car from a Seat dealer so it must be the G12 stuff!! Just wondered wat everyone thought.

Where will i get some of the G12 coolant?? And will it b alrite to put alittle anti-freeze into the G12 collant come winter time??

·
Registered
951 Posts
Can get the G12 coolant from.....Any VAG garage!Surprisingly.
Think it's like 6quid a bottle or something.
The G12 is a coolant/anti-freeze/rust inhabitor solution.Just bang it in and its sorts everything.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Isnt there anywhere else ill b able to get hold of a bottle of G12 Coolant, or will i just have to go to a VAG garage??

·
Registered
951 Posts
They're made from different chemicals.
Thats why the blue stuff should be changed every 2 years and the red stuff never needs to be changed (or so VAG say) but more like every 5years ideally.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Think ill just try n get some of the G12 coolant either from my local VW garage or go back to the Seat dealer from where i got my car n get it from there!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts