SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This light appeared on the dash today when I was driving, and looking at the handbook it doesnt appear to be in there! (Theres a similar picture with a line in the middle, I assume thats what it means?) Obviously it isnt the handbrake light ;)

I've left it for a few hours but it still appears and wont go off :(

Anybody have a clue what it could be? Can I still drive it? Going to give it to seat tomorrow to have a looky at.

Any help really would be appreciated

Its a 2003 Cupra if it matters.

Chris

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Thats the general Engine Warning Light ... could be a few things but most common are:

MAF, Water Temp Sensor, Lamba Probe

Without getting the fault codes read it's hard to say - does it drive any differently ??

Dave

·
Registered
127 Posts
More than likely engine coolant sensor.

They are prone to failure and are upgraded for the green version. Costs about £30

It may not be that but if its driving fine i'd put money on it being that.

It could be 1 of many hundreds of things though, yes that is your engine warning light. Your ecu will have a fault code stored in it now. This needs reading by either vagcom or a fault code reader.

The dealer will do it but at a cost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mitchy;780548 said:
More than likely engine coolant sensor.

They are prone to failure and are upgraded for the green version. Costs about £30

It may not be that but if its driving fine i'd put money on it being that.

It could be 1 of many hundreds of things though, yes that is your engine warning light. Your ecu will have a fault code stored in it now. This needs reading by either vagcom or a fault code reader.

The dealer will do it but at a cost.
Exactly right :)

Phoned Nottingham Seat (willobys) today, and to be honest they were utter rubbish. The earliest the could fit me in was Friday- not much good for an engine management fault I thought. And, to cap it all, they wanted two hours labour at £62.50+VAT just to read the ECU!

So, I took it to Nottingham VW, job done in one hour, for the princly sum of £65 included the costs of diagnosing it, VAT and labour.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
What was the fault in the end..?? Seems a bit cheap for £62 + vat and did this sort the problem out??

I had the engine warning light on on mine and my laptop came up with throttle body, so I cleaned it out but the light is on again. I have yet to plug it in again...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same problem. Light has come on for months now, and we keep paying for parts and low and behold the light comes on again! It's driving me crazy. We have paid for two different garage companies to change two different Oxygen sensors and still no joy! I really don't know what to do next. - HELP

·
Registered
653 Posts
Well when mine went it wernt Oxygen sensor, it was lamba sensor.

When that light shows, VAGCOM brought up on mine at least, 3 different possiblities.

1) air pipe had split
2)oxygen sensor
3) lamba sensor

but the more important bit he said was it could be a combination of these. start with 1), then 2), then 3) to see what was wrong. IT might be that, its all i can think of but the part for the lamba was £103 plus bout 30 mins to fit so only cost me £30 fitting.

·
Registered
653 Posts
EPC is the electrontic pedal control, basically your car goes in a kinda of limp mode, i had this happen to me when my battery died, was on EPC till the battery charged back up then gave me my throttle back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all
I sorted mine out.

I removed the drivers underpanel and found it pretty wet, when looking into it further there was water in the brake light switch. This put the ignition lights on and opened the car by itself!!!! yes...

If you started the car all the lights stayed on.

Anyway, i removed the wipers and the plastic cover over the screen and found the water coming through a plastic cover, the water missed all the other plugs and went straight into the brake light switch, which caused all the problems..

Anyone with these problems should check the brake light switch for any water ingress as this can also open the vehicle..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts