SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to spend a few days in Wales in July camping. I have two locations in mind and would like to ask any one who live local to them if they are able to get Freeview.

The reason I ask is that we normally take a small Black and white TV with us just in case we decide to watch a bit of telly in an evening.

This year however as I have a laptop with a Freeview adaptor, I thought we'd take this as it packs away easier than the TV and will use less battery power if we don't get an electric hook up.

According to the Government site for Digital telly however, both the areas we have looked at apparently receive absolutely no digital signal. So just before I pack the TV again and leave the laptop at home can anyone who lives in the following area confirm if you can or cannot recieve Freeview in these areas.

* Caernarfon - North wales

* Rhossili in Gower (near Swansea) - South Wales

Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Virtually no where in south Wales has great TV reception, let alone Freeview. When I was in Swansea 6 years ago, I couldn't get digital even in the centre of Swansea, so I'd be amazed if you could get it in Rhossili.

Actually, I just checked the Freeview site with a Rhossili postcode, looks like you can get some channels there. Having said that, depending on where you actually camp you'd probably still be very lucky to pick it up on a portable. The way the land is out on the penninsula you only need to be camping the wrong side of hill and you'll be stuffed.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the responses. I think if we pick the south then I'll take the black and white and pray I can get an analogue signal if needed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If it was me I would be glad to get away from the godawful telly for a couple of weeks, enjoying wonderful Wales. Most campsites usually have a handy local boozer with Sky etc for the determined TV addict. And the super country roads, get the turbo spooling up on your Ibiza diesel!:yes4lo:

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I can't even get terrestrial let alone freeview - it's sky or nothing when you leave in between the Beacons and the Black Mountains!!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I have no problem with freeview near St Athan, get all the chanels chrystal clear :biggrin9gp:

When I was living at home (other side of town) before freeview came about, we had all the English & Welsh analogue channels: BBC 1 & 2 'ordinary', BBC 1 & 2 Wales, ITV, HTV Wales, HTV West (and even a grainy picture of the Cornish ITV on a good day!!), Channel 4, S4C & Channel 5.

May be some people have the wrong type of aerial, or have them pointig in the wrong direction :confused1bb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts