SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, quick general question really...

Does anyone notice a big difference in fuel economy over the summer months compared to the winter? I seem to get around 2-3mpg better during the warmer days, but I thought the fact that I use the climate control in non-econ mode would reduce any advantage during the warmer months?

Interested to see what everyone who has a petrol Ibiza thinks... those of you showoffs with diesels dont count LOL :p And yes, I am jealous :D

·
Registered
402 Posts
I dont think cars are as econimicle when they are colder, air con does reduce your econemy also but I can't explain anything else other then those 2 points.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I used to find fuel economy was always worse in my Ibiza in the winter. This is opposite to what seems to be normal thinking - a lot of people say that engine's run better in the cold.

I suppose the longer warm up time doesn't help, plus having the rear heated screen on and the lights more often

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup,

I suppose its all a bit of give and take. I think I remember something a little while back about Mr Brown saying the reason why fuel is cheaper in winter is because you get worse fuel economy, I was just interested to see if that was actually the case.

I know in the winter the air is cooler so technically your inlet temps should be cooler (plus air is more dense at colder temps), so technically the engine should perform better. Interesting to find some conclusive evidence on this one :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there,

This is true. In the winter months (now) my fuel economy is decreased by about 3-4mpg,
I think it is due to the fact that I drive the car short distances, and uphill everyday.
Engine in cold weather also performs worst I think, especially these cars, which have to be revved for some performance. (I own a 4 month old Formula Sport).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.