SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I posted a thread a few months ago about my x reg 1.9tdi+that it wont go into reverse when cold(it feels like you have to struggle for a good 5 mins to select reverse it gioes in eventually and then its perfect after youve driven about a mile).I took it to garage who checked the gearbox oil but as it was a vw garage and the chap semed to know what he was talking about,i had synthetic gearbox oil put in as apparently vw had this prob on some of their golfs with a 6 speed gear box and changing the oil cured 50% of the golfs.All seemed to be hunky dory until recently when we returned from a holiday(where we had towed our 26ft caravan) and now its playing up again although its not quite as bad as before and i prob only have to struggle once to get it into reverse or 1st.The garage chap showed me some diagram of a gearbox and said it might be some bearing or other which could cost about 500 quid,but they wouldnt know without stripping the gearbox down(150 quid before you even start!),we had a new clutch fitted about a year ago,Does anyone have any ideas/advice as im imagining worst case senarios(ie new gear boxs etc etc!!)

·
Registered
62 Posts
when trying to engage 1st or reverse is it stiff or does it crunch?
if it crunches will be down to the clutch
but as you said is a new clutch fitted( was in a new drive plate /cover plate(diaphram) / and cluch slave cylinder as a a few garage dont fit this at time of fitting

has anyone checked your gear cables for chaffing or other kind of damage?

according to the auto data cd i have its VW ATF gearbox oil hat goes in it!

is that whats in the gearbox when you got it checked?

if its not and the garage who done your clutch if they put the wrong gearbox oil in this can make it harder to engage gears when the car is cold but gets easier once it warmed up as the oil viscosity get thinner and the oil can do its job as the VW ATF is alot thinner oil of likes of EP 90

most time this can be fixed if you give the gearbox an oil change

but on other occasions it can damage the syncromeshes in the gearbox

as if wrong oil for instance is too thin it gets pressurised out where its needed and the syncromesh starts to wear ( picks up some burrs and can polish the driving sides of the syncromesh which in turn makes the gear had to engage

if all else fais as in above

if the oil does not change the outcome will probably need the gearbox checked and fault may be in the syncromesh
once the gearbox isstripped the syncromesh ring can be re-machine in a lathe to get a new driving face

hope this is not too confusing

·
Registered
33 Posts
you say you had fresh oil put in the gearbox. Was it OK before this? if so, I'd suspect thicker oil than before. this might lead to reverse not "slipping in" when cold. As others have said, try engaging reverse after first selecting first. keep foot on clutch all the time?

Also could the linkage have been disturbed when changing the oil? Are you absolutely sure it was the right oil for the gearbox??

I'm always suspicious of new faults just after work has been done on a component!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.