SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First real post on this site so here goes.

Does anybody know whether the GOlf GTi / TDi 6speed gear stick shaft fits the SEAT LEON (Cupra).

The reason for asking is that I feel that the throw of the gear lever is quite a distance between gears on the LEON (not guite bus like but...), being as I have long arms I actually get my arm lodged between the gear stick & the side of my seat when changing into 6th gear.

As mentioned above, I personally think that the gear stick is too long in the LEON cupra and want it shorter (possibly by 1.5 to 2 inches). No rude comments please.

It might make gear changes a little more crisp too..

After looking at the gear stick shaft, I've found that it's not a simple cylindrical piece of metal shaft and wouldn't respond well to being sawn down by my own fair hand. A replacement looks like an absolute **** to fit aswell.

Hence the above question.

Does anybody else share my view on the gear stick travel?, has anybody done anything about it?

SO many questions, so little time...

Is the gear stick shaft in the VW models actually shorter? or is it just my imagination?.

Lots of feedback please cos every little helps..

HELP me OB1Kenobi your my only hope.

cheers

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
I don't know to be honest but I'm looking for a short shift kit but no-one makes one for a Leon. I know the TT kits fit a golf but don't know about the Leon.

Pete

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have sussed how to take the leather shroud off the LEON.

Looked into the whole gear stick issue & you need a Junior hacksaw and a 1 inch jubilee clip.

I cut my gear stick shaft just above the cerated piece. Pushed the gear lever back down to the top of the springy bit. (Do not push any further otherwise you won't be able to select reverse).

The toughest bit is to have the balls to take the leather bit off.

(It lifts at the front then you can push it forwards & up). It does come out I promise.

I have found that the gear changes feel more crisp and there is less of a chance of missing the gear you want.

It's magic.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Junior hacksaw in hand, the whole thing took about 20 mins..

I wasn't gretly prepared for doing the job while at work, but found the spare time and ended up feeling like my arms were like Popeye's...
(No rude comments about that cheers)...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts