SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i finally took the plunge and got the H&R kit ordered for my car.
(due to a few probs with the spax i had to change but i won't go into that)

i will have piccies and a review on the main site very soon so keep ur eye's peeled peeps :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
And what did i say about the SPAX................... :D

H&R....quality German gear.....costs almost the same as the PSS9's!

Good choice mate...let us know how it goes.

Lee

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Welcome to the club Roly,
I got my adjustables fitted today and boy does it look good, it's now 50mm lower at the back and 55-60mm at the front, the ride quality is rather good for what is quite a large drop in height.

I'll post some pics A.S.A.P:)

Arousa:)

G

·
Ben,

Cheers for the piccies mate, whats the ride height like?

How much has it actually took it down?

Cheers mate!

·
Registered
502 Posts
when did i say that?

H&R are fecking pukka German Stuff mate...close behind BILSTEIN in my books.....

Get them if you can.......

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there not coilovers peeps :(

there straight forward springs and dampers.

there supposed to drop the car -50mm @ front and -40mm @ rear but i didn't measure the height coz i took the spax right off and bolted the H&R's on.

G

·
Originally posted by Arousa
Welcome to the club Roly,
I got my adjustables fitted today and boy does it look good, it's now 50mm lower at the back and 55-60mm at the front, the ride quality is rather good for what is quite a large drop in height.

I'll post some pics A.S.A.P:)

Arousa:)
Col,

It would be good if you could do a review on your suspension for us?

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by RobT
Whats wrong with Spax ?
i've never had a problem with em up untill i bought the coilover kit.
the strut and spring were making contact whilst driving, i had camber, tracking, hight all adjusted X amount of times over 4 days and still couldn't stop the knocking. after a call 2 spax technical i was told 2 put washers between the top mount and strut housing to re-align the top mount.

now having just spent £600 on this kit i didn't expect to have to do this, to be honest it sounded like a bit of a bodge to me. so the kit went back and got replaced with the H&R kit.

personally i have always run spax on all my cars and found them very good but it wasn't to be this time round.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by roly

i've never had a problem with em up untill i bought the coilover kit.
the strut and spring were making contact whilst driving, i had camber, tracking, hight all adjusted X amount of times over 4 days and still couldn't stop the knocking. after a call 2 spax technical i was told 2 put washers between the top mount and strut housing to re-align the top mount.

now having just spent £600 on this kit i didn't expect to have to do this, to be honest it sounded like a bit of a bodge to me. so the kit went back and got replaced with the H&R kit.

personally i have always run spax on all my cars and found them very good but it wasn't to be this time round.
This is wierd and I agree with you, you shouldnot have to bodge a £600 kit. What I dont understand is how it happened, if the spring sits in the top and bottom spring seats it is away from the strut body - sounds like you had the wrong spring seats. I have an RSX hit on my car, with changed poundage springs but same diameter and length as stock, and it is fine - there is some slight knocking at low speeds when the steering is turned full lock but this is the spring hopping round on its seat - only happens very rarely. I actually blew one of the oil seals at Blyton recently (after hitting a grass verge rather fast) and they replaced the strut for £100 - good value I would say.

IMO There is a lot of crap spouted about 'performance' spring and damper sets - I'm not sure there is that much difference between £400-500 sets and £1000 sets - not so you would notice on a road car - and I suspect very few people actually adjust them anyhow.

Cheers

Rob

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looks like the H&R kit could be popular, a few on cars now.

Have you had any rubbing probs Ben?

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the kits settled in nicley now :D not 2 hard and handling is great :)

i get scrubbage on the back when under load but that's it, 5 peeps is prolly a no no but then i don't carry many passengers so im not to bothered

·
Registered
193 Posts
Harder than standard or not. I assume ride on bumpier bit is better as it can't be worse.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Roly the scrubage on the back is that due to bigger than standard alloys? and are the dampers performing like oem but slightly harder?

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
scrubbage on the back is due to the wheels 7 x 17" and ET37 instead of standard 6 x 16" ET38

the ride is firmer than standard but only by 15-20%
handling is excellent, it grips through the corners now instead of trying to leave the road and the body roll has almost gone.

im not v good @ explaining these kinda things (as im sure u've already guessed) but if anyone's about when im on the road i'll gladly take u 4 a spin :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts