SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since having the car chipped I have noticed that every so often there is a hesitation when putting my foot to the floor. Any Idea's on what this can be.. I have already cleaned and regreased the dump valve but it still seems to be there...

Cheers

Daz.:p

G

·
When you say a hesitation, do you mean it stutter's, reacts slower than normal? etc.....

Better explanation please!:D

·
Registered
502 Posts
What program you running when this happens?

Did it happen before you chip it?

I get it now and again.......but less when i run close to 100 Octance fuel.......

Some have said its to do with knock sensors....others has said dumpers/MAF sensors...

I have no idea to be quite honest! It happens on just about every car it seems....

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's the problem when you put your foot down nothing seems to happen for a split second then it kicks in. Lee I'm running the APR stage one upgrade. Didn't really seem to notice it before it was chipped..

Daz..

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's the problem when you put your foot down nothing seems to happen for a split second then it kicks in. Lee I'm running the normal upgrade program coz I didn't get the cruise fitted.. Didn't really seem to notice it before it was chipped..

Daz..

G

·
Does it do it in standard mode?

If its only in chipped mode it might be that your just waiting longer for the boost to wind up.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Did they program in the 95 or 98 octane program then??

At what revs do you get this hesitaiton?

Low down at 2000....or up near 4000-4500rpm???

You asked APR about it yet?

They should answer this for you really.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car is constantly in chipped mode as I didn't have cruise fitted. The revs are closer to the 4000 mark when it happens but it's not all the time it's every so often. Will speak to APR today and see what they have to say. Thanks for the advice guys..

Daz..

:D

G

·
Going back to what Chungster said its probably down to the petrol used. I has my car 210nd the other week running on Optimax. I was hacking until the traffic just stopped. Anyway 3 hours later my tank was almost empty, I had to fill up with 95 octane crap and noticed a huge difference, especially hesitation between 3-5000rpm. I filled up with Optimax again and its back to business. All 20V T should be run on 98 octane fuel, its says it on the petrol cap.

May the force be with you!

R

·
Registered
193 Posts
Originally posted by FISHBOY
All 20V T should be run on 98 octane fuel, its says it on the petrol cap.

May the force be with you!

R

Doesn't apply to Ibiza, only Leons and 'Rs'

G

·
Ok its says it on my petrol cap because ive got a leon, but I would of thought it would apply to all 20vt, cos there more or less the same engines. I was told because they were designed under the Volkswagen umbrella in germany and that they dont have 95 octane fuel, 98 is the minimum it would apply to them all.

·
Registered
193 Posts
As they are made for the world market they have to cater for all types of fuel. My Ibiza say unleaded 92RON or above basically. I had it chipped with 95 in and it doesn't really go any better with Optimax, so I don't bother with it.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
On the fuel note: Mine goes better with Optimax in than 95RON, and it goes better with Optimax AND Millers Octane Plus in it.. !! ;) which would possibly be due to the near 100RON octane it runs.

The hesitations are in all cars I believe, it is just that when the car is chipped it becomes more noticeable as the engine is running higher boost.

My car can hesitate sometimes and I am running stock ECU, I think it is just to do with the spooling up of the turbo and building boost.

I would suggest having a word with APR though about it to see what they think.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Me Otter Chip is designed to run with 98RON+...

Thats why i have shares in MILLERS now!

Sod the dividends....GIVE ME SOME BOOSTER!!!!!

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
mine has been doing weird things as well but a bit diffrent to what yours has . mine seens as if it has a speed restrictor on it ! if you slowly put your foot down in 3rd it gets to 60mph and cuts out , but if you dip the cluch it will still rev strange ? it does clear and it has only happened 3 times but does anyone have any ideas , maybe its time to have the chip checked (only been on 2 months )

·
Registered
21 Posts
When running higher octane fuel, you are 'delaying' the onset of pinking. Pinking is bad for engines. When it is detected, the ECU winds the timing back by quite a bit (11 degrees?) and then advances it in 0.5 degree increments until a point just before pinking occurs again. This is what happens with the VR6 and I expect similarly with the 20VT although I don't know if the 20VT can detect which cylinder is pinking and independently control the timing like the VR6 does?

Pinking is more likely to happen in hot operating conditions - a hot day, or if you've been driving hard. I suspect that the effect of backing off the timing in a Turbocharged engine will be more marked than in a normally-aspirated one.

Pinking also has a effect of raising the engine temperature so it has a 'self-perpetuating' quality too. The trouble is that even if you can't hear it, pinking has to occur before the knock sensors can detect it so there will be some increase in engine temperature.

So in short, running higher octane fuel will result in lower engine operating temperatures, with all the benefits that brings, and SHOULD help reduce the occurence of the hesitation problem.

My car has only ever run on Optimax from new (5500 miles) and has octane booster when on track days.

G

·
Originally posted by gillm
mine has been doing weird things as well but a bit diffrent to what yours has . mine seens as if it has a speed restrictor on it ! if you slowly put your foot down in 3rd it gets to 60mph and cuts out , but if you dip the cluch it will still rev strange ? it does clear and it has only happened 3 times but does anyone have any ideas , maybe its time to have the chip checked (only been on 2 months )
Martin,

Mine used to do that, on the Ibiza there is a maximum boost threashold that when exeeded cuts out the boost, (only the ibiza has it when compared to other vag 1.8t engines)

if you look at your boost gauge does it read 0psi? mine did,

They need to trim down the boost spike a little, thats what mike did.

G

·
Originally posted by gillm
yes it did read 0 psi , i will have to take it back to get sorted , can it do any damage , cheers mate
No damage mate,

Its a precaution the ecu takes to prevent problems.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
mine never losses all it's boost just winds back to 5psi occasionally and then back up to 15psi :confused:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts