SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi lads,

Just a quick question - what are your experiences with insurance companies when you tell them the car has been remapped/chipped, or is it necessary to tell them? i.e. is there a way they can find out if you're involved in an accident or if the car's stolen?

Cheers

G

·
They will hike it but it depends per company I have heard £100 and all sorts of figures ...

The fact is if you dont tell them and they find out they can invalidate your insurance .. as to whether you will find many on here that have told them lol hmmm

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
As Si says, legally, you MUST tell your insurance company, or your policy will be invalid, just like with any other modification. Whether you want to take the chance that they won't find your remap, thats up to you. Plenty declare it, plenty don't. Personally, I would always declare it, which was the main reason I decided not to get my Ibiza FR remapped. Its certainly possible for them to find out, so don't believe what companies tell you when they say it can't be found.

Some companies won't actually insure you with a remap, so best to check that yours will before you have it done. Some might only charge £50 or something, some will be £100 or more. You need to check with your provider, as every company is different, and also depends on your own personal circumstances.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the responses - I'll have to think twice about it so. I don't think the insurance company that I'm with will insure me with a modification. It's just that I test drove my sister's Golf TDi with 110bhp and the difference between that and my car is unbelievable!

Cheers again anyway

·
Registered
12 Posts
I work for an insurance company and will say the same always. They will find out if your car's been modified and you really want to make sure you keep your policy up to date. It is vital to ensure your cover is appropriate and your paying the right amount. Whatsmore if your insurance company pull cover, you won't get a refund.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts