SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
the toyo proxies are supposed to be really good tyres as well some people prefer them to the F1's, suppose its just personal preference and how you drive!!

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
I'll always be buying the F1's ;) From what I've heard, some of the Toyo's don't last as long, and with a big heavy diesel lump tyre life is important to me :) Plus, they are superb in the wet, never seen anything grip that well in the wet before, so as soon as I need new rubber, I'll be having some F1's fitted without a question. Avon? Can't say I've ever noticed them being mentioned around these forums to be honest.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I just had a set of 4 Goodyear F1's fitted to my Ibiza (TDi 130PD Sport) and they rock!

The fitter said he thought they would suit the car more than Toyo's.

Roger

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just changed rear Bridgestone potenz's for a pair of Goodyear F1's. Potenz's were making a lot of noise (sounded like rear wheel bearings were shot!). F1's are a good tyre lots of grip dry or wet.
I ran an Impreaz for 5 years and tried Bridgestones Potenz's, Pirelli P Zero's and Goodyear F1's. The F1's were the best overall, good grip, plug lots of feed back if you were pushing them towards the limits.

·
Registered
333 Posts
quartztdi;780010 said:
good to hear....altho the F1 are slightly more £ than the toyo's, so he was probably trying to get the sale?

but u get what you pay for etc
To me money isn't an option when it comes to tyres, I don't mind spending money on them as at the end of the day its the only thing keeping you attached to the ground lol.

I asked the fitter about the Toyo's as they were fitting the Goodyear's. I went in set on the Goodyear's and they ordered them in for me. Toyo's were never an option, so on this occasion it wasn't a case of wanting a better sale, I do know where you are coming from though.

Roger

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Theres nothing wrong with that, but why would you want to? So long as you have the same style tyre pattern on each side of the same axle then your fine, but always put the tyres with the best grip (i.e. the newer tyres with more tread) on the rear axle if you don't replace all 4 at the same time.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I put Proxes on all round on my car at 9,000 miles. i now have 17,000 miles and the wear is minimal.
Grip is awesome in the dry and pretty hot in the wet. Not too bad in the recent snow either. I'll be fitting new ones when i need to without a second thought.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
alanjonesbath;780038 said:
always put the tyres with the best grip (i.e. the newer tyres with more tread) on the rear axle if.
is this to prevent over steer/ rear wheel skidding?

had imagine the better grip should be on the front to prevent understeer, but obvoiusly wrong!

·
Registered
333 Posts
quartztdi;780054 said:

had imagine the better grip should be on the front to prevent understeer, but obvoiusly wrong!
That's it exactly, preventing the rear skipping out. What would you prefer to have, a rear that skips out whenever it fancies, or understeer for which you can take more control of by slowing down etc?

Understeer for me lol.

Roger

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
quartztdi;780054 said:

Yup, exactly right. If you have more grip on the front, the car is more likely to oversteer. With more grip on the back, its more likely to understeer, which is in general easier to control and easier to predict, hence why its the safe option to but the gripier tyres on the rear.

EDIT: D'oh, looks like Roger got in there with the answer just ahead of me ;)

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
If the front kicks out you can steer it easier and stand more chance of controlling it. When the back goes you have less chance of controlling it.
grippy tyres on the back is what the experts say, but i replace all 4 at once when i can afford to. grip all round suits me best

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well I've got to say, I have had both Goodyear Eagle F1's and Toyo Proxes t1r and both are really good tyres.
I used to think that the Pirelli P Zero's were good ( already came fitted on car from new ) until I changed to the Eagles and what a difference they made.
The Eagles were a lot grippier in the wet with no aquaplaning and sounded alot quieter and they also lasted over 15000 miles and gave me alot of confidence.
The Toyo's on the other hand are also good which I have on the car at the moment but have only done about 2000 miles in so early days yet to see how long they last.
Both sets were bought as set of 4 as to me thats the only way of finding out what the tyres are capable of.
Unless you try it for yourself, how else will you know.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
all this info is much appreciated.

since the rears last longer i might just try F1's no the back and the toyo's on the frnot. will give more grip on the rear, and give me a taste of the toyo's. can always replace the fronts with F1's next time!

i dont totally cain the driving, but it'll get a lot of roundabouts

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.