SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So during my lunch break today, I went to the bank to get the bank draft cheque thing to pay for my car on Sunday. Two cheques had been put into my account in order to do this. So I turn up and all I have in my account is 54 pounds! Where had the cheques gone? My husband had paid them in so we knew they had them. The bank shrugged their shoulders and couldn't tell me. They at one point denied that they had a branch on the street where Robert paid them in - that took 15 minutes to sort out! We then found out that one cheque had had the money debited from the account it came from yesterday, but the money was not in my account.

Eventually I had to go back to work, but it took me and Robert making loads of phone calls with the two branches to try and sort things out. Robert in the end had to go to the branch where he paid them in. I rang my branch up and had to start threatening them as it looked like I wouldn't get my car on Sunday after all. I felt gutted.

It took me losing an afternoons work (I won't get paid for this as I earn by the hour), Robert losing an afternoons work and I reckon about 90 minutes of calls on the mobile phone to sort this out over a period of four hours.

They finally admitted that it was their fault - a computer problem. I now have a bankers draft thing (which I had to go and collect) for the amount of the car only, the bank will honour that but have placed my account overdrawn to do this. I now have no other access to money until they trace the other two cheques...three thousand pounds is still in dispute, but at least I can get the car on Sunday.

What a day...the bank certainly haven't heard the last from me on this one. And who is getting my interest on the money?

:swear: :no: :swear: :no: :dead: :wound: :mad: :saw: :saw: :matrix: :rambo: :matrix: :rambo: :no: :swear: :no: :swear:

Does anyone think I'm being too harsh here and overeacting?

Sorry for writing a book...Sunday was supposed to be a happy day :( .

G

·
Abi,

Dont apologise for that sack of ****, we have all helped each other out I think of this forum and thats ****ing disgusting!

I think that you should write to them and ask for your days pay and the cost of your mobile phone calls as well!

Too many people let these ****s get away with it!

I am really good at writing these type of letters and if you want me to I will kindly write a nice letter to them!

I am really sorry that it has spoilt your enjoyment a bit, but try not to be too down hearted and look forward to getting your car and dont let the ******s get you down!

All my best to Robert as well, he must be pulling his hair out as well ;)

PS ............. Me and Nicci sending a hug!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Really sorry to hear it Abi, my bank (who I work for) have been blundering my cheques...a quote from their paying in envelope states "We will make every effort to process your deposit on the day of receipt. Where this is not possible, deposits will be processed the next working day". It takes 2 weeks for cheques to clear into this account (my car savings account). With another bank where my wages get paid in, whatever I do will be in there the next working day. I know they are cheques but they clear instantly in one account and 2 weeks in another, I dont find it very useful!

Do you not have acknowledgement receipts from the paying in machine with references on them and also cheque numbers from your cheque book?

I really hope you get it sorted!

Tom

PS incidently, the place across the road from us is a cheque clearing company. My friend has just quit his job along with about 20 others because they were unpleasant...it's agency work but they did all cheque work. It may be down there where things are going wrong!

·
Premium Member
9,548 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Abi.......Banks can be a right pain in the *** most of the time..... But as Si said, don't let this spoil your enjoyment of Sunday, when u will be getting your nice YELLOW Cupra!!! :D

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx guys and Nicci, thats really sweet of you for your thoughts.

My branch is just a waste of space and I'm going to close my account there after this is all sorted out as they have made so many blunders over the years that this is just the final straw.

Yeah, I did have a pay in slip, but of course it was at home. The two branches are a bout 30 miles apart, the one where the stuff was paid into is two minutes walk from where Robert works, so it made a big difference him going in there. They were actually really good and had it not been for them I wouldn't have got anywhere with my branch. And Robert was brill too...don't know how he puts up with me!

I'll be writing some very strong letters (done this before with my branch and got compensation). I want compensation for the following:

1) My afternoons lost earnings

2) Lost interest - money now in outer space for two days since cleared from source account

3) Multiple mobile phone calls

4) A disabled bank account where I have no access to money until who knows when

4) Their incompetence

I'm so unexcited about the car now - bet I'll be OK tomorrow after a good nights kip.

Abs

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx Jennie...just saw your post as well. I know, you're right. Went to see the car yesterday and she looked amazing.

You're all so nice you bunch!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
One thing to remember when writing/calling regarding a complaint is that you MUST be nice to the person at the other end in order to succeed.

I work in a call centre in our fraud section. I have to take numerous complaint calls due to the way our system sometimes inconveniences customers. The ones I really am really apologetic, understanding and outgoing to are the people that will moan but also do it in a way that won't make me swear at them with the mic off, want to hang up or feel like total **** afterwards. The poor girls I work with cry their eyes out from horrible customers that will make them feel as though they are being personally insulted.

In most cases, they will do whatever you say in order to keep you as a customer. They will pay you for the calls, a 'good will gesture' and sort out the problems with the cheques and the branch. To them you still help them out and your money is part of their business, so they will try hard to keep you.

Good luck sorting it out!!

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank Tom for your various bits of info.

My next step will be done in written constructive complaining. I wasn't nasty to anyone on the phone in terms of swearing or shouting, but as the afternoon wore on I had to get much firmer in my demands and raised the tone of my voice ever so slightly.

What annoyed me with the branch was that they were so patronising...and it was like they just kept reading from a training info book, they just couldn't have cared less. The other branch were fantastic, the branch manager got involved and made a big difference. I will ring her personally to thank her on Monday as well as writing.

·
Registered
220 Posts
54 quid wont get you far on petrol tho ;) hehe sorry i thought it was funny !! gotta look on the bright side of everything otherwise noone would leave the house in the morning!!:p

G

·
What bank is it your with because I am with natwest and they are not to hot with things like that so i might move over to lloyds because I have heard they are pretty good.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha ha Brendy...good job I got my wee flexible friend to feed my wee car tomorrow!

Malpits, my bank is the Royal Muck It Up Bank Of Scotland!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I favour Halifax, who will soon become a Scottish bank as they are moving to Dundee!

Threy have always helped me out, sorted out new cards when they spelt my name wrong and whenever I have gone and worn the strip out. Also cheques clear the next working day!

Tom

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Think I'll transfer my account to the Glasgow branch that we paid the cheques in to as they were superb yesterday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts