SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Seat Ibiza has been diagnosed with the same problem - battery drain from the head unit. The Seat dealer informs me that the only way forward is to replace the head unit, which, they tell me, is very expensive.

My question is is it fixable by the method described by Armadilloibiza:

If you want the headunit to switch off with the ignition all you need to do is swap the switchable live (yello wire) and permanent live (red wire).
If so, is it correct for me to tell the dealer this information?

Cheers,
Nick.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
yup your stereo can be easily re-wired. are you talking about the standard stereo or an aftermarket one?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm talking about the standard stereo, the one that is integrated into the head unit. The mechanic / service guy I spoke to on the phone said that the stereo is heavily integrated with the head unit and because of this fact, if the stereo develops a fault, the entire head unit must be replaced. At the time of our conversation I, knowing nothing about the electrics of the car, suggested detaching the stereo from the system in order to stop it draining the power but he said this was not possible.

If I understand you correctly all is needed is a simple rewiring of the stereo electrics, i.e. switch permanent live to switchable live?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
No, if you had an after market head unit then a simple wiring problem could be causing your problems.

However in the mk3 (which I'm guessing your Ibiza is), there is no head unit as such and as you say, the stereo is integrated with the heating and ventilation controls. If you've developed a fault with this unit, unfortunately a full replacement may well be the only solution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I can't afford a full replacement, is it not possible to disconnect the faulty stereo? I can live without the stereo if it means the stereo will no longer drain the battery.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
TBH I have no idea what it shares it's power supply with - with the screen being shared between the stereo and heating, it could be that killing power to the stereo also kills the heaters for example. Best get an auto electrician to take a look

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help. I'm seeking clarification because the main dealer up here in Edinburgh has a poor reputation for both know-how and customer service but with no other options, what can I do?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
sorry we're in the AROSA section so thought we were talking about an arosa...........anyway you can get the mk3 unit refurbished for £70 I think, I can find you details if you like?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
truCido;782739 said:
sorry we're in the AROSA section so thought we were talking about an arosa...........anyway you can get the mk3 unit refurbished for £70 I think, I can find you details if you like?
Yeah, this thread has gone slightly off course somewhere - think i'll split it down!!

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Ok, the cost is / was £47 inc VAT & return postage, all you have to do is contact them to make sure they can refurbish your H/U and then post it!!

They aim to get it back to you in 10 working days.

GTS Intermedia Services Ltd
Unit 36, Woodside Park
Rugby
Warwickshire
CV21 2NP
01788 570088

I'd give them a call :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for that.

Get this. Last night I travelled an hour by bus to pick up my car from the dealer, whom I had phoned earlier in the day. Between 5-8pm only the salesmen stick around. And what didn't these guys have? My key. It was locked in the safe. Fantastic. I should have expected this given their poor reputation. In the end, I got a taxi back to my home that cost £11 and took up 2.5 hours of my evening.

The dealer I am referring to is Arnold Clark (Seat), Seafield Road branch. Last time I got my car serviced I travelled 40 miles from Edinburgh to W Livingstone Ltd in Uddingston because of their good reputation and Arnold Clark's poor reputation. W Livingstone's customer service was great, especially the fact that a courtesy car is offered without prompt. Why didn't I do the same this time?

·
Registered
120 Posts
i have had some bad experiences with seat seafield edinburgh too, they suck to put it bluntly. I've had the run about like you have by teh sounds of things, the parts departement are the worst!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts