SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, the time has come to get rid of the standard air filter in my ibiza and to get a oerformance one with a modded air box as this has been recomended over buying a induction kit,
what is the best filter to buy for my 94 ibiza gti, was thinking pipercross
recomendations please

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Originally posted by GTIpaul
Hello all, the time has come to get rid of the standard air filter in my ibiza and to get a oerformance one with a modded air box as this has been recomended over buying a induction kit,
what is the best filter to buy for my 94 ibiza gti, was thinking pipercross
recomendations please
Just be careful with filter elements which are over oiled etc..
Foam filters for example need oil/coatings to catch the dust particles. In excess, this coating can be drawn into the engine, and where a hot film/hot wire MAF is present, can coat and eventually kill the MAF.

Bill

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Sorry forget what I just said. Just noticed you havent got a 20VT so I doubt if Hurrican do one for your car . Bill???

How about Green or PiperCross forced induction kits?

Gareth

·
Registered
273 Posts
you can't go far wrong with a k&n panel, although don't expect any huge difference - just a slight roar on hard acceleration, and an ever so slightly smoother rev increase.

is it an 8v or 16v? - i've noticed the intake mods are more noticeable on 16v lumps.

:)

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Originally posted by SIDE SHOW TURBO
Sorry forget what I just said. Just noticed you havent got a 20VT so I doubt if Hurrican do one for your car . Bill???

How about Green or PiperCross forced induction kits?

Gareth
I had presumed it was an 8v Gti?
what model is it?

Bill

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hello all, thanks for the replys, it is a 8v ibiza gti, so would i benefit from a induction kit more that the panel filter and moded air box

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Originally posted by GTIpaul
hello all, thanks for the replys, it is a 8v ibiza gti, so would i benefit from a induction kit more that the panel filter and moded air box
Not a lot in it so long as your modded airbox is'nt peppered with holes such that it will breath hot engine bay air.

regards
Bill

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Originally posted by Cupra Dave
Hi Bill
Do Hurricane do a cone filter for the 8v ?
if so, costa quanta ?
They list (Green this is not Hurricane) 2 cone filter kits for Ibiza 2 2.0 Gti 8v.

Single Cone #P195 @£75.95 and Twin Cone #P195BC @ £93.50

(retail prices ex vat)

Neither of these are in a housing like a Hurricane.

I did supply a 1.6 Ibiza owner a "Twister" for his car, which is very similar to the Hurricane. (cost him £145 for the parts to do that one ~ Hurricane sort of money.)
Space is limited on the 8v and 16v Gti Ibizas tho. going to be a tight fit to get the cold air feed pipe on one.

Hope this helps.
Drop me a PM if you want more info.
regards
Bill

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Originally posted by badger5

They list (Green this is not Hurricane) 2 cone filter kits for Ibiza 2 2.0 Gti 8v.

Single Cone #P195 @£75.95 and Twin Cone #P195BC @ £93.50

(retail prices ex vat)

Neither of these are in a housing like a Hurricane.

I did supply a 1.6 Ibiza owner a "Twister" for his car, which is very similar to the Hurricane. (cost him £145 for the parts to do that one ~ Hurricane sort of money.)
Space is limited on the 8v and 16v Gti Ibizas tho. going to be a tight fit to get the cold air feed pipe on one.

Hope this helps.
Drop me a PM if you want more info.
regards
Bill
Cheers mate, will do ;)

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Originally posted by Wee man
silly question but if the induction kit follows the original line that the oem filter box takes surly it'd fit?????
The space issue is one for the length really. Width is no problem. Something like a Twister filter and its cold air feed pipe (large diameter) is very tight on the length. The routing for the important cold air feed pipe is the tricky bit.

Not supplied one yet, but have looked at the Ibiza's engine bay.
The same setup is on a Mk3 Gti Golf, 8v, but the Golf has a longer engine bay.

The bits needed woudl include Top Hat adaptor for the MAF, Twister element/filter can, and cold air feed pipe, and a bracket & nuts bolts etc for fixing it together etc.
There is an air temp sensor which would need to be routed into the incoming airflow also. (hole in a pipe)

Golf Installation piccy below.

Bill

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Thanks mate, if anyones doing any mods wif air filters n things before u do PUUUUUUULLLLLLSSSSSEEEEE

Go out in yer car and get to 60mph and read yer rpm and repeat once the mod has been done, but please be honest!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Thanks mate, if anyones doing any mods wif air filters n things before u do PUUUUUUULLLLLLSSSSSEEEEE

Go out in yer car and get to 60mph and read yer rpm and repeat once the mod has been done, but please be honest!
I don't follow how your 60mph vs rpm is going to be an indication of an airfilter being better /worse?

The speed and rpm is goverened by the gear you're in at the time.

Do you mean time to 60mph?

Bill

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Hi Bill i know it sounds really silly but yes i mean 60mph vs rpm!! when u fit an exhaust it changes if u fit a straight through it changes, my last car got a powerflow srtraight through fitted and did the my silly test and i was 600rpm less at 60! might have been a one off maybe the backpressure was some how increased giving me more power translating to less rpm needed for 60mph to be reached! And my mate had a peco fitted to his feista and he actually had to rev nearly 1000rpm more to cruise at 60.

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
Next couple of days my jetex panel filter should arrive, will do the 60mph thing to see if it made any diff, will post results, at the moment rpm @ 60mph is approx 2550-2600 will look closer tomorrow to get a puker figure.:)

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Hi Bill i know it sounds really silly but yes i mean 60mph vs rpm!! when u fit an exhaust it changes if u fit a straight through it changes, my last car got a powerflow srtraight through fitted and did the my silly test and i was 600rpm less at 60! might have been a one off maybe the backpressure was some how increased giving me more power translating to less rpm needed for 60mph to be reached! And my mate had a peco fitted to his feista and he actually had to rev nearly 1000rpm more to cruise at 60.
Sorry mate but it aint physically possible.
For the same given gear 60mph will be fixed to its gear ratio, final drive ratio, wheel/tyre diameter - ie Fixed. It cannot alter from things like exhausts etc..

Time to get to 60mph, yep! This is acceleration, that works fine.

If you are using 2nd gear for 60mph for example its goign to be revving fairly high yea? Like 6000+ rpm will be as follows:-http://www.badger5.demon.co.uk/bin/gear-ratios.xls
^^^see the bottom yellow shaded area for 16v and 20VT ratios and their respective speeds.

Bolt on goodies just can't have an effect on what rpm 60mph occurs at. Gears and wheels/tyres are tghe only things which can effect this..

Me am confused.. now :p

Bill

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Confused, im confused mate lol i know extactly what ur saying, and im probably wrong but for some reason on my last car it made a difference! but like i said it might have been a one off buggered up sort of thing.

But if a induction kit or a panel filter does make a differance to the rpm, then i will get off the suject cause it would be to hard to even think of explaining how!

Lets just call it a wee experiment! if its c a c k then u can take the **** out of me!!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Confused, im confused mate lol i know extactly what ur saying, and im probably wrong but for some reason on my last car it made a difference! but like i said it might have been a one off buggered up sort of thing.

But if a induction kit or a panel filter does make a differance to the rpm, then i will get off the suject cause it would be to hard to even think of explaining how!

Lets just call it a wee experiment! if its c a c k then u can take the **** out of me!!
I would'nt take the "michael" but would be intrigued on how you manage to pursuade your gear ratios to alter by adding an air filter :p

Good luck tho.

Bill

1 - 20 of 25 Posts