SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My good friend has a 2001 Leon 1.6s and has never really had an issue with it, afterall it is a trustworthy Seat ;)

Until recently it has started cutting out as revs drop, slowing down for traffic lights and it just dies... sometimes when sitting at idle it cuts out too.

This is happening when the car is warm/cold and in all conditions and the car is also suffering power loss.

My first though, the common fault with the 1.8 20VT engines is the coilpacks? Is this likely to be the issue on my friends car too?

Any help is really appreciated :)

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I'm sure theres a sensor that controls the throttle and that can cause it to cut out if its faulty?? (im sure someone that knows more will be along soon lol)

try a vag-com should show something!

·
Registered
61 Posts
i,ve had the same on mine (only a 1400 tho)
was diagnosed by garage as throttle control valve body or sumthing like that
i went to halfords on advice from someone else bought a tin of wynn,s carb cleaner,3-4 quirts later all was well and has been for about 7 months now,well worth the money
ps,that was on their vag-com apparently,wonder what would show if i went back after spraying it

·
Registered
182 Posts
i used to have sam problem at start up.throttle would not open..is caused by it being fly by wire set up apparently..mine was back and frorward to garage with no fault found and i tried using the wynnes carb cleaner and has done the trick...touch wood

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
ok the throttle body looks something like http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/2778/carpics013fe9.jpg this.

its usually between the air filter box and the intake manifold, and usually attached to or near, the mass airflow sensor. it basically controls the amount of air flowing into the engine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts