SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for people to answer - Is investigation covered under warranty - Why you ask - well below will be explained!

Car booked in for a knocking noise (suspect engine mount/gearbox mount) everytime I come to stop I hear a knocking and when I pull away it happens again above 2nd gear no noise and when coming down gears no noise until I stop or pull away

As usual goes into my dealer and can't find it (strange now it has stopped) Well picked up my car got my keys and drove off. Now got an invoice in the post for £75.00 - Investigate knocking noise (as above) no fault found - Advised refitted front splitter - tyres low - Dent in rear door - passegnger wiper incorrect

So been charged £75.00 for well investigation and doing work I have not asked for - Surley as car is under warranty I should be covered??? Mind you I have been had already by my dealer under another issue with them as they say you signed the job sheet so we can charge you - Thats money to print then for dealers isn't it? as if not covered by warranty you been charged for it caused you signed the job sheet!

Any ideas????

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
investigation is not covered by a warranty if no fault is found as there was no fault to be covered by the warranty, if they do find a fault then yes it is covered

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
As Dave says, if you've asked them to investigate a fault, and they couldn't find one, they are within their rights to charge you for the time they spent investigating it. If a fault was found, the investigation time would have been covered by warranty. Some dealers are good about this and won't charge, but many will as they won't get any money from SEAT warranty themselves as they didn't fix anything, as there was nothing to fix (at least when they looked, even if you have had problems). The best bet to get them to see an intermitant problem is go there while you have the problem, and get the service manager to sit in the car there and then, so you can prove there is a problem there to be fixed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just to put the record straight from a dealer

As a rule of thumb signing the jobcard is a SEAT and industry standard. The reason for this is for audit purposes to show you are aware of the work to be carried out. Also to give your permission to the dealer to work on the car. However always ask what you will be charged for and if you can see the old parts you are within your write. The dealer should ask how your paying, to clarify and confirm payment method.
Diagnosis is chargeable however it is not an open cheque book. Warranty is going through some changes and dealers are having to adhere to strict guidelines. If you ask for checks and inspections you will be charged.

Grant (Westerham Garage)

·
Registered
30 Posts
grm;786397 said:
Just to put the record straight from a dealer

As a rule of thumb signing the jobcard is a SEAT and industry standard. The reason for this is for audit purposes to show you are aware of the work to be carried out. Also to give your permission to the dealer to work on the car. However always ask what you will be charged for and if you can see the old parts you are within your write. The dealer should ask how your paying, to clarify and confirm payment method.
Diagnosis is chargeable however it is not an open cheque book. Warranty is going through some changes and dealers are having to adhere to strict guidelines. If you ask for checks and inspections you will be charged.

Grant (Westerham Garage)
i understand what your saying there , i work for Ford and our warranty is a PITA at the moment, but if the dealer didn't mention at the time that there would be a charge for any investigation work carried out if no fault was found , how can they at a later date send an invoice through the post and expect Cupra R ian to pay

i don't know exactly how it works with Seat dealerships ,but ideally the vehicle should of been tested by the foreman/tester with Cupra R ian in the vehicle , then the driving conditions that the noise occurs under may of been able to be reproduced ,i bet its still making the noise , even though the dealership can't fault it

i know from first hand experience that some noises/rattles/squeaks/knocks are extremely difficult to diagnose without the input of the tester and customer roadtest

·
Registered
184 Posts
Cupra R Ian;782830 said:
Question for people to answer - Is investigation covered under warranty - Why you ask - well below will be explained!

Car booked in for a knocking noise (suspect engine mount/gearbox mount) everytime I come to stop I hear a knocking and when I pull away it happens again above 2nd gear no noise and when coming down gears no noise until I stop or pull away

Any ideas????
I had this problem exactly mate, it wasn't any mounts it was a knackered downpipe!
New one sorted the problem!:biggrin9gp:

Ad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts