SEAT Automobiles Forum banner

Is the driving licence test to easy??

• Yes its to easy & more measures should be introduced to the test like driving at night etc

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No it’s not to Easy and is sufficient enough.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No it’s difficult and hard to pass and should be made easier!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Driving Licence Test to easy?? What do you think???

From AutoExpress/Yahoo cars:

Britain's L-test is failing young motorists, say the country's driving instructors in a damning indictment of the exam

The Driving Instructors Association (DIA) claims nearly two-thirds of members "do not believe the UK test is producing safe and competent drivers". And in a survey, 90 per cent said the hazard perception element - which examines the ability to perceive danger under real conditions - needs updating. Almost two-thirds are so worried that they want young motorists to be banned from driving at night - although three-quarters said the legal age should not be raised to 18, as was suggested among roads and safety campaigners earlier this year.

Instead, the DIA wants a graduated system as used in Canada, Australia and the US. There, novices are restricted to driving during the day and can't carry youngsters, who may encourage them to get into trouble.

Peter Laub, DIA head of road safety, said: "This highlights the urgent need for fundamental changes to the whole framework of UK licensing and the driving test. With the hazard perception part the vast majority of members believe that, as it is at present, it is sadly not fit for purpose."

·
Registered
618 Posts
I reckon everyone that takes the test should be able to drive at night and on the motorway. Ive had family and friends pass and they just dont have a clue about motorway driving. Things like pulling out to overtake or moving into the middle lane when a slip road is joining onto the motorway.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Pffft...the driving test is a load of crap.

I failed my first one because I didn't overtake a lorry on a blind corner.
Yet my mate passed 2days later after bumping the kerb on a 3point turn and going over the white line at traffic lights.

Bunch of hypocritical idiots if you ask me.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I'd say its fine as it is to be honest. However I also beleive that "Pass Plus" should be essential, covering driving in various conditions, including motorway.

Also, getting any points in your first 24 months of driving should be an instant loss of license - there is no excuse for getting driving points, 100% self inflicted and then you won't do it again... for the record I actually have 3 points on my license and I didn't make the same mistake again - if I lost my license its my own fault.

Too many times I've been travelling the motorway at 70-80 (We all do it...) and a smaller (More commonly french ****) car will drive by me doing at least 90.

·
Registered
127 Posts
As a trainee Instructor the problems I have are (in no particular order)
Pass+ isn't obligatory though prefferable (for cheap insurance)
You can then drive until 75+ without any further instruction or examination and even then they can't take you licence off you until you do something stupid, you have to "give it up" when you want to
It is too easy to blame the kids for all the problems, they don't know any better and don't have the experience to judge situations they have not seen before and don't have the wits to say no to their mates egging them on
However the Olds should know better and have been in most of the situations we call the youngs for and still mess it up
Hand on heart how many of us could go out and pass a test again, I know I was sh***ing one for about 2 weeks before I took mine (part 2 of the driving instructors course)
there should be some for of compulsory additional training and re-testing every 6-10 years after you pass
I think everyone could benefit from it and that isn't just to keep me in work

·
Registered
127 Posts
As a trainee Instructor the problems I have are (in no particular order)
Pass+ isn't obligatory though prefferable (for cheap insurance)
You can then drive until 75+ without any further instruction or examination and even then they can't take you licence off you until you do something stupid, you have to "give it up" when you want to
It is too easy to blame the kids for all the problems, they don't know any better and don't have the experience to judge situations they have not seen before and don't have the wits to say no to their mates egging them on
However the Olds should know better and have been in most of the situations we call the youngs for and still mess it up
Hand on heart how many of us could go out and pass a test again, I know I was sh***ing one for about 2 weeks before I took mine (part 2 of the driving instructors course)
there should be some for of compulsory additional training and re-testing every 6-10 years after you pass
I think everyone could benefit from it and that isn't just to keep me in work

·
Registered
217 Posts
if you had to have additional training and re-test every 6-10 years it would have to be free or it would be seen as a stealth tax maybe the instructor who taught you should be obliged to keep your driving up to standard as part of there original fee. test was easy back when i did it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think its fine as it is, I took my pass plus and I agree that it should be mandatory as it is scary that people haven't got a clue when it comes to motorway driving.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I think its fine, although some people are let onto the road who still lack confidence when driving and dither all over the place which is really annoying....but I agree with the older people should maybe have to retake their tests and I HATE getting in the car if my nan or grandad drive, their both suicidal (not on purpose lol) and my grandad goes through red lights and doesnt even realise :s

I think at maybe 50 / 60 you should have to re-take your driving test and theory

1 - 11 of 11 Posts