SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having had my 2002 Leon Cupra now for around 8 month's and a few thousand miles, the time has come to do something with the standard suspension, which is in my humble opinion 'orrible, with not enough compression damping and too much rebound, and what with the cars nasty tail happyness, but also it pushes the front on wet roundabouts and tight bends, and also leans too much for my liking...

But anyway, apart from all that it's great car, which just needs a bit of tlc to get it 100%, so... I really can't decide whether to get normal dampers and springs or push the boat out and get coilovers, but don't really want to spend more than about £400-500 on the kit, the other thing is the rear's aren't really proper coilover's..

My concern is I don't want to make the suspension too hard (like teeth jarring if you run over an ant) hard the way Koni were of old !! I've used Bilstein on cars in the past and been really inpressed by the ride & handling, and with these new Koni FSD's as i understand it you get he best of both worlds, with decent ride & good handling, but from what I've read the FSD's aren't designed to to used with too lower spring's so this could pose a problem ?? I just want the car to handle better have a better ride quality, without shaking my fillings out over every rut or ridge in the road.

I'm also a bit dubious of FK stuff** as i don't know much about them, i had a bad experience with a Jamex kit once after it was recommended and turned out to be total crap, making my 205GTi handle like a wounded hippo, that soon came off.

So my choices are standard kit's
1: Koni FSD + Eibach Sportline Springs lowering -45-50mm
2: Bilstein Sportline -25mm (good but pricey)
3: FK High Tec - lowering -55/40mm or 35/40mm good price at less than £300.
4: New Standard Seat Cupra R Dampers + lowering springs (maybe Eibach Sportline)
5:: Koni Yellow + Eibach -45-50mm (bit too firm from what i remember)

Coilovers
1: FK HighSport about £450-500 don't know too much about the quality or ride**
2: all the rest are way to expensive...

And from past experiences I don't want to go out and buy new suspension only to be dissapointed, and end up having to do it all over again at great expense.

So any help or advice/comment's/thoughts or personal experience with a particular kit, would be much appreciated as I'm in a right qaundry over which way to go for quality V's reasonable ride comfort V's cost, it's just a shame there isn;t somewhere you can go to try out various different kits on the same car to get a better idea.

Thank you Cupraloon....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Cupraloon

I'm in a similar dilema mate. from all the info i've gathered on the various options, the Koni FSD's sound the best. steer well clear of the cheap coilovers if you want any comfort. A mate fitted some cheap and nasties on his LC and you could read the writing on a man hole cover with your a*se.

I'm going to be buying a set of FSD's for my LC and using them with the standard springs (will change if ****e) at the end of May from the good guys at Formula 1 in Brighton. I'll post my findings on here, If you can wait that long.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Blades Man,

If think I probly can wait till May, still saving up for them at the mo !! I got some prices today, and the FSD's + Eibach's are about the same price as the cheaper coil overs.

Cheers Jez

·
Registered
26 Posts
hi cupraloon if its any interest to u i have a bilstein b10 power kit which came off my 2000 leon cupra,it only covered 1000 miles before i took it off to sell the car,i now have an octy vrs,which the kit doesnt fit,im looking for £250,i paid £410 for it new.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I had the eibach spring before and they are good. If you go the coilover route(eibach also), which i have now done, the handling is great but i had to get the anti roll bars done also so it adds even more to the cost.

·
Registered
62 Posts
anyone got the FSD's fitted on a leon now then cos they seem to me to be the best comprimise between handling and still keeping your own teeth. At the mo i just dont trust my cupra enough to be launching it into some bends and its doing my head in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts