SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some L.E.D's that i want to put in the footwells of my car, jus to brighten it up abit, but i only want them on when i have my headlights on.

So wud the best option b that i shud wire them up to the switch in the inside of the car or just wire them up to the front lights so they wud come on wen the lights r on??

Id prefer to have them wired to the switch but just want to do watever is easiest?!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
i wired some led,s into my old car in the front head lights for the alarm which looked cool at night when your head lights flashed blue in the dark n the way i hooked them up was to wire them in to live output on the alarm then put a seperate switch in under the dash which earthed the leds so i had a choice of having them on when the alarm was on or not.so ya best bet is to wire them in to your sidelights n put a switch in the earth wire on the led,s so you,ve got a choice of to have them on when the headlights are on or turn the led,s off when the headlights are on.that was a mouthfull lol :mad:P

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wudnt u have to put the switch on the positive wire n not the negative one?? Or wont it really matter cos the switch will still work the same?!

Wud it be easier to wire the positive wire up to the actual light units or 2th switch??

If the headlight unit is the easiest can any1 tell me how/where to wire it up on the light unit?!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Cruiser87;786047 said:
Wudnt u have to put the switch on the positive wire n not the negative one?? Or wont it really matter cos the switch will still work the same?!

Wud it be easier to wire the positive wire up to the actual light units or 2th switch??

If the headlight unit is the easiest can any1 tell me how/where to wire it up on the light unit?!
ive got a set of neon pedal covers.( ok not to everyones taste lol) :mad:P n there wired up to the sidelights on my beezer which turn on when the lights are on but you could put a seperate switch in either of the wiring to break the circuit when you dont want them on.personaly ive put the switch in the earth wire to kill the power to the accessorie i wanted to power up.( n yes i can,t spell tonight lol :mad:P

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lucy;786087 said:
ive got a set of neon pedal covers.( ok not to everyones taste lol) :mad:P n there wired up to the sidelights on my beezer which turn on when the lights are on but you could put a seperate switch in either of the wiring to break the circuit when you dont want them on.personaly ive put the switch in the earth wire to kill the power to the accessorie i wanted to power up.( n yes i can,t spell tonight lol :mad:P
Did u just cut the earth wire in the middle roughly,put the end that comes from the light into the switch then put the cut section into the other end of the switch then earth it to the car?? Wat switch did u use??

Did u just wire it up to the sidelights at the actually light unit or the switch thats in the car to turn them on??

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Cruiser87;786262 said:
Did u just cut the earth wire in the middle roughly,put the end that comes from the light into the switch then put the cut section into the other end of the switch then earth it to the car?? Wat switch did u use??

Did u just wire it up to the sidelights at the actually light unit or the switch thats in the car to turn them on??
i wired it up to the sidelights at the switch n as for the switch the choice is yours but i got a heated rear screen switch from seat ibiza in the scrappy n mounted it beside the steering wheel in one of the blanking plate holes to keep it neat.it does,nt matter where you cut the wire as long as the two cut ends of either wire + or - are connected between between the two terminials on the switch.i cant remember the colour of the wire for the sidelights but its easy to find.ive got a home made test light witch lights up when theres a 12v power source.its made from a motorbike brakelight bulb holder with 2 crocodile clips on the two wires so all ya do is earth one wire on the check strap on ya door.turn ya headlights on n touch each wire 1 at a time till the test bulb lights up.once the bulb lights up turn your head lights off to make sure you aint found the permo live wire which you dont wanna connect it to.then......... lol.use a stanly knife n strip some of the insulation from the wire ur connecting the led,s to n connect the 12v + wire from the led,s to the wiring on the connector block on the back of the headlight switch which is live when the headlights are on n insulate it properly with plenty of lecci tape.that was a essay n a half lol :p :mad:)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did u just put the switch u got from the scrappy's under the switch that is already there for the rear heated window cos that is actually a good idea.

How do u get the blanks off?? Thats wat imgonna do 2keep it neat!! As for finding the headlight wire ill just use the wiring diagram in the haynes manual.... unless any1 knows wat colour it is!!

Did u just force the positive wire from the led in beside the headlight wire or did u cut alittle bit of the insulation?? I think ill try n force it into the connector but tape it up beside it to keep it secure!! I will pop the clockset out to give me more room as well!!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Cruiser87;786511 said:
Did u just put the switch u got from the scrappy's under the switch that is already there for the rear heated window cos that is actually a good idea.

How do u get the blanks off?? Thats wat im gonna do 2keep it neat!! As for finding the headlight wire ill just use the wiring diagram in the haynes manual.... unless any1 knows what color it is!!

Did u just force the positive wire from the led in beside the headlight wire or did u cut alittle bit of the insulation?? I think ill try n force it into the connector but tape it up beside it to keep it secure!! I will pop the clockset out to give me more room as well!!
the wire it needs to be connecting to is wire 14 on the connector block n its a thin black n grey stripy wire.just use a small flat screw driver n put some masking tape around the surrounding area so ya dont mark the plastic.the blanking plates just pop out :mad:)yes i put it above the rear heater switch.you could push the live wire in the block connector but it probably wont get a good connection n would get on ya nerves n most likely in the end short it out.ya best bet is strip a little insulation off the wire n twist the live wire from the led,s around it.soilder it n tape it up.thats what i did.ya dont have to cut the wire just strip enough of the insulation off to make a contact with the wire.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rite i was thinking, i cant really be bothered with the hassle of trying to get into all the wires behind the switch. Cudnt i just wire the positive up to the one of the wires going into actual headlight unit and also put the switch into the positive wire?? Ive got my other actual switch to switch them on n off if required.

Also where in the footwells will i put them. It is 2 LED strips,one for each footwell. I want them hidden but in a place that gives the best light output into the footwells.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
yes you can route the 12v wire to the head lights but wiring it up to your headlight switch is the neatest way think.as for mounting them there best put under the dash.depending on the hardware that comes with them to mount them ur options are screw them under the dash where the footwells are.strong double sided tape.tie wraps. or double sided tape and tie wraps. :mad:) have you got any piccys of the led,s so i can get a better idea? :mad:)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
just done footwell lights on mine.
wired themby taking the + feed from the brakelight switch, and the negative on the door contact switch on the b pillar., this way they come on when u open the doors with the courtesty lights.
also added an earth with a switch so i can have them on all the time if i want to :)
ive used the little led lights from halfords, 2 in each footwell held on by gorrila glue.
works a treat

·
Registered
745 Posts
When you say headlights wouldnt it be better to have them on with sidelights? You can then just take a feed of the the illumination for the ciggy lighter or ashtray light, clock illumination etc, Saves going anywhere near the lights.. you can then route this up to a switch if you want to be able to put them off but have lights on and should be fairly simple to do.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
whilst your there may be worth puttign a distribution blockin for future lights ect, then just wire into that :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got my switch 2day n i was wondering how 2wire it up :s. On the bak of the switch unit there are four brass bits coming out the plastic on the bak. Each of the brass bits r numbered.

Also had loads of different wiring options. Which wud b the easiest?? I dont want to really wire up another earth, i just want to use the red p+ and the black - that r both attachted to the LED. I have like an led strip about 5-6cm long.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Cruiser87;788174 said:
Got my switch 2day n i was wondering how 2wire it up :s. On the bak of the switch unit there are four brass bits coming out the plastic on the bak. Each of the brass bits r numbered.

Also had loads of different wiring options. Which wud b the easiest?? I dont want to really wire up another earth, i just want to use the red p+ and the black - that r both attachted to the LED. I have like an led strip about 5-6cm long.
is it a rear screen heater switch?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts