SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies and Gents, as a new member I've probably missed any discussion so apologise if I've just not managed to locate the appropriate thread!

I've been the owner/driver of a 2003 Audi TT 225 for the last 3.5 years, til someone else decided they'd like to joy ride it in Jan 2007. I loved many things about the TT (quality, performance) but often found the chassis was not able to deal with back roads etc so that side was rather frustrating, but then it was based on the floorpan of an old golf!

I'm looking to be a little more sensible this time and I have been offered a deal on a Leon FR (both TFSi and TDi 170) whichis quite tempting since I can afford it at the moment, as Mr Joyrider has brought my replacement plans forward by 12 months and messed up my insurance somewhat.

Does anyone have a TFSi? what do they think? I notice Star Chips do a +45ps chip for this engine has anyone any experience of that?

I am torn over TFSi and TDi too, the on road performance doesn't look to be that different, so any experiences and comparisons would be appreciated.

I could of course just blow (borrow) an additional £5k to get a Golf GTi with similar spec (nasty of Seat to not offer leather on the FR or Cupra)....

Comments and suggestions appreciated....

Chris

G

·
My only suggestion Chris is not to blow 5k on a Golf GTi when you get more value for money and more car with the Leon than you will ever get with a GTI and look at those seats in the GTi lol ;)

As for re-maps look at some of the bigger and well known companies such as

REVO
Custom Code
APR

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
As Si says, I wouldn't spend the extra on a Golf, I'd be spending it on an A3 (well, thats exactly what I did!). I got my A3 with full leather and the 140 TDi unit & DSG box for £22.5k. With dealers giving bigger discounts on the A3 than they were on the Leon (more than twice the discount in most cases), it made the price difference even less. Best thing to do is drive both the TFSI and the TDI. Both are excellent engines and perform well. The TDi will obviously use less fuel, and may be cheaper to insure as well. Personally I didn't think the Leon handled as well as the A3, and the suspension seemed more harsh, but the TFSI Leon I drove was a lovely engine. The thing that lets the Leon down for me is the cheap plasticky interior. :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers boys.....I'm checking out the TDi and TFSi on sat lunch time as my mate works for a dealer and has sorted me a play with both (well the TDi is his company/demo car) so should be interesting.

Autocar said they interior is cheap....Whatcar praised it's quality lol beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess?

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
S1BDN;780169 said:
You and your old mans A3 Alan ... (passes the slipper and pipe for the old fella)
Nah, A3 ain't an old mans car (well, not in S-Line spec at least :p: ). Dave_ph's A4 is though :D

G

·
mordred1973;780172 said:
hahaha Si.....

I had considered the VXR but decided too many little scrote's like the one that took my TT might want it....hence ended up going all way around to the FR.....
VXR is a mid life crisis mate but fu none the lass torque steer heaven!

Sorry to hear about the TT but never been a fan, I have driven my friends re-ampped one :eek4wd:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
actually my Audi dealer lent me a TDi 140 Sport DSG when the TT was in for a service and then a S-line 2.0T quattro another time....

the interior was beautiful I have to say...and the Tsfi Quattro was quickish

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I test drove the TFSI FR a few weeks back and really liked it - the power delivery is fantastically smooth compared to the diesel I had!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
All I have to say really is I think the golf is over priced and the Leon is awsome.

we went looking for a new suite yesterday and the salesman spent more time talking about the FR than the suite.

Going from a VW to a Leon I don't thing there is that much difference in quality, besides if your going to spend another 4 or 5K you want something more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Look at the new Octavia VRS Pd.

I had a mk1 Leon Fr TDi, great car. The third leon I had owned.

We went for a test drive in the new Leon Fr and were bitterly dissapointed.

Awfull ride qaulity, claustrophobic interior, poor qaulity interior plastics and the best thing you can say about the outside is that you can't see it from the inside.

Add to that a limited range of colours and a laughable offer of 10.5k for 2 year old mint Fr with 20k on the clock.

I had previously driven the old style Octavia and was not impressed.

TheMk2 is an entirely different car.

Without haggling they offered me an extra £1,500 for the Leon before knocking serious money off the Vrs and to sweeten the deal threw in cruise.

What a deal and what a proper car, the build quality and finish is staggeringly brilliant.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TL I know what you mean about the interior, well in my view the facia only actually and it's not the style of it it's the materials they've used....

The Octavia is a no....sorry, as with the previous one, it looks like a big car stuck on the wheelbase of a little car, both front and rear overhangs are too long in view.

Skoda also don't offer either of the items I was looking for (according to their website) which are iPod connection and bluetooth phone system, unless they're so well hidden I can't find them?

Interesting suggestion tho and thanks for your thought :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts