SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has antone on here fitted a Milltek to there Ibiza, if so how much? what's it sound like/look like? and does it fit well.

I'm wanting to fit one to my car but i'm finding it hard to find these after market goodies that seem so readily available for other cars.

I wouldn't mind a filter kit aswell but am unsure about who makes one to fit work well and sound good in the process oh and look good?????
 
G

·
Welcome to the site :D

.......I c ya wanting all the basic mods sorting out, of which there is a lot of experience on this forum.

Im not sure about exhausts ...the other 20VT boys will be able to advise u there.

As far as air filters / induction kits go, Ive been well impressed with the Hurricane! Makes a wikkid sound and gives a performance gain apparently too.

Let us know wots on yur shopping list and we'll all be able to advise u on available products, prices, and wot we think of them ;)
 
G

·
CupraR ....... Holloway (Andrew has got one) I have heard it and it is a nice sound and not too loud and looks quite nice.

We have a deal through Star Performance for them but rumour has it that they have stopped production of them.

You also have Supersprint and Powerflow, there aint a lot round to be honest!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,723 Posts
Originally posted by Cupra R
Has antone on here fitted a Milltek to there Ibiza, if so how much? what's it sound like/look like? and does it fit well.

I'm wanting to fit one to my car but i'm finding it hard to find these after market goodies that seem so readily available for other cars.

I wouldn't mind a filter kit aswell but am unsure about who makes one to fit work well and sound good in the process oh and look good?????
If Ben Sleat is right, Star Performance has got 7 sets in, and these are the last Miltek will be building.... DOH! (see>> http://www.*************/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8172 )

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
hi cupra R. I have a milltek. I have a s Cupra. Its got a hurricane induction kit fitted. i bought the car before i fitted the indiction kit. It sounded excelemt before and after i fitted the induction. i definately recomend it. Looks brill too.
Im not sure about the price because the exaust system was fitted when i baught the car.

James.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,822 Posts
Hi i know im new to these ibizas but my mk2 8v's powerband is lower down the rev range and if i put a induction kit on, it may say what it says on the box, but the power would be in the wrong place as the bhp increase would happen outside the powerband and would actually sacrifice low end torque same goes for sports exhausts they enhance the car no-end by looks and by sound but you would probably never feel the benefits, you would only feel the loss of torque due to the decrease in backpressure which is caused by fatter pipes, biggerbackbox or straight throughs, a good way of demonstrating this is buy driving a modded car ie exhaust/induction kit and then driving a standard and then blastin side by side.

But then again i dont know **** apart from why take a perfectly fine plastic airbox with a cold feed pipe out of a car and dump in a round blob that sucks up anything under the bonnet ie hot air?

I know why not surround it by placing a metal case around it effectively sealing it from the engines warm air!!!

Mmm

so not only have you made replaced a light weight air box with a silly heavy alloy filter, but also the filters total surface area as well,

ITs all a bit funny aint it! lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,723 Posts
Originally posted by Wee man
Hi i know im new to these ibizas but my mk2 8v's powerband is lower down the rev range and if i put a induction kit on, it may say what it says on the box, but the power would be in the wrong place as the bhp increase would happen outside the powerband and would actually sacrifice low end torque same goes for sports exhausts they enhance the car no-end by looks and by sound but you would probably never feel the benefits, you would only feel the loss of torque due to the decrease in backpressure which is caused by fatter pipes, biggerbackbox or straight throughs, a good way of demonstrating this is buy driving a modded car ie exhaust/induction kit and then driving a standard and then blastin side by side.

But then again i dont know **** apart from why take a perfectly fine plastic airbox with a cold feed pipe out of a car and dump in a round blob that sucks up anything under the bonnet ie hot air?

I know why not surround it by placing a metal case around it effectively sealing it from the engines warm air!!!

Mmm

so not only have you made replaced a light weight air box with a silly heavy alloy filter, but also the filters total surface area as well,

ITs all a bit funny aint it! lol
Somewhere deep down there are some real facts and figures though, so wade through the tuning minefield. :)

57i type kits, are good for induction noise, and generally have reduced air resistance and flow more air than stock paper filters. Bad aspect of them is drawing hot air from the engine bay. Nett effect may well be backwards.

Lightweight stock airbox and "silly" alloy filter housing? You clearly have'nt actually weighed anything at all. The alloy housing is certainly lighter on Hurricanes for example than the stock airbox.

A decent sized cold air feed pipe is essential also, routed to somewhere outside of the engine bay so cooler air can be drawn in. Stock airbox pipes, certainly on 20VT's are very small and quite restrictive. The good side of a stock airbox is it does at least breath through a cold air feed. (it is quieter than an induction kit also, which suits some but not others)

From kits I have tested and seen test results for, gains are pretty much everywhere, but most gain is top end, where there is more requirement for more airflow obviously. No losses though, on cold air fed kits.

Pleated cotton gauze filters are available in many sizes and shapes and surface areas vary hugely. They are also available in different layers 1,2,3 etc.... Surface area is only one part of the equation, surface restriction is equally as important and that is a feature of its construction. Paper filters can work very well too.

I guess someone should tell the likes of K&N or Green etc that they have it all wrong eh? :p

People should not kid themselves that adding any filter will dramatically improve their engines performance..... They would be over optomistic. Where you read claims, without dyno evidence of +10bhp from this and that product, you should be mindfull of its actual performance. 15bhp from a filter is staggering, but I saw this claimed once by PiperX for their Viper @ £250 too :eak:

regards
Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,822 Posts
Yeah thats cool and i fully respect all that but i have seen some major cacky induction tubing with silly bends in that well lets just say the wind must have brains to negotiate it all and get its a r s e though to the engine.

As for increasing air flow that could upset the air/fuel ratio making your car run to lean/rich.

And there is a slight lowend loss in power in all induction kits they even say it in small writing on some of the boxs, and why have high end power when ibizas are low to mid cars (dont know anything bout the cupra r's though).

Have a standard car go against a car if an induction kit on the standard would win.

But turbo cars are totally different and i have a feeling this thread is about the turboed bizas.

JUST MY OPINION BASED ON ALOT OF RESEARCH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,723 Posts
Originally posted by Wee man
Have a standard car go against a car if an induction kit on the standard would win.

But turbo cars are totally different and i have a feeling this thread is about the turboed bizas.

JUST MY OPINION BASED ON ALOT OF RESEARCH
You sure?
I would'nt expect their to be enough of a difference to set them apart at all personally. (except for induction noise)
Cold air is very important.... the engine needs a fresh supply of it through a reasonable path/duct etc..

I would'nt differentiate the turbo from the n/a cars.. I have both myself 16v on t'bodies and 20VT cupra. The basics of cold air feeds are equally important. Your logics right..
:)

Bill
Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,822 Posts
Cool mate its just i thought that turbos are less picky and things like exhaust backpressure are unimportant due to the fact the engine relies on the turbo to in effect produce the pressure and that the air it swallows be it a dustbin sized air filter or a coke can sized one would make little difference as the turbos fan itself sucks like bugger and a smaller filter would help produce a larger air pressure quicker due to the intake size being smaller like a funnel effect and now im going to stop because im blabbing on about something i dont really understand.

Well at least it aint raining
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,822 Posts
Right ive had a think and this is what i wanted to say

Na cars rely on air/fuel to power engine and exhaust backpressure to actually move.

turboed cars rely on air/fuel pressure to power engine and wheels and rely on the exhaust to get rid of built up pressure and fumes

Ok after actually reading this i have come to the conclusion im a space cadet lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,723 Posts
Originally posted by Wee man
Cool mate its just i thought that turbos are less picky and things like exhaust backpressure are unimportant due to the fact the engine relies on the turbo to in effect produce the pressure and that the air it swallows be it a dustbin sized air filter or a coke can sized one would make little difference as the turbos fan itself sucks like bugger and a smaller filter would help produce a larger air pressure quicker due to the intake size being smaller like a funnel effect and now im going to stop because im blabbing on about something i dont really understand.

Well at least it aint raining
LOL

You know I get those "senior moments these days!!" You start a conversation and drift off somewhere else...

:)
Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for your replies.

But why have milltek stopped making the exhausts they must realise no one else is really there opposition, and do they look similar to the stock exhaust???

As for the Hurricane Induction kits I think i'm gonna get meself one, probably more for the hopeful induction noise. It's hard buying stuff though when you don't know exactly what its gonna be like

Is there any other induction kits tried and tested though???

Chipping is also high on the agenda but once again HOW many different companies are chipping the Ibiza's it's hard to know who's chips best. Especially when there not that cheap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,723 Posts
Originally posted by Wee man
Well now i can stop panicking im [NOT] the only bloke that does it lol
edited.... ^^^ :p Another senior moment slipped in ;)
Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,723 Posts
Originally posted by Cupra R
Thanks all for your replies.

But why have milltek stopped making the exhausts they must realise no one else is really there opposition, and do they look similar to the stock exhaust???

As for the Hurricane Induction kits I think i'm gonna get meself one, probably more for the hopeful induction noise. It's hard buying stuff though when you don't know exactly what its gonna be like

Is there any other induction kits tried and tested though???

Chipping is also high on the agenda but once again HOW many different companies are chipping the Ibiza's it's hard to know who's chips best. Especially when there not that cheap
Makes no apparent sense for Miltek ceasing Ibiza exhausts... Not a current model car now, so maybe demand has dropped off badly? It will return no doubt when the stock systems rot and fall off. :p

Hurricane noise can be heard here> http://www.*************/video/hurr/P7160012.MOV
and here>http://www.*************/video/hurr/P7160014.MOV

A customer write up done by ShockXe was also done on the other sites reviews page.

No review on SE yet otherwise I would have posted that link.
The sound clips are pretty cool :p even though I say so myself... I liked me little stills digicam.. takes MOVies also. :)

Steve I think was doing some write ups... Worth asking him too as he has run a couple of different types.

regards
Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bill i'm not sure if it's my PC or what but the two links you supplied don't work any idea's.

Also Bill I notice you're a Forge Motorsport supplier; a question on dump valves any difference between the forge recirc valve and the Bailey Motorsport recirc dumpvalve, and if i'm cheeky enough to slip another question in; any advantage of changing from the stock valve to one of these. Do they make any noise or are they quiet????
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top